Gransnet forums

Health

What medicine do you remember always having in your childhood medicine cabinet?

(20 Posts)
Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:53:27

Calpol

fancythat Sun 04-Oct-26 15:57:56

Are you that poster the other day[maybe from the US] who started a lot of random questions posts?

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 16:00:19

fancythat

Are you that poster the other day[maybe from the US] who started a lot of random questions posts?

No I think that was someone else.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:03:50

Possibly a name change (it happens). Funny kind of threads though as never any further discussion from the OP.

25Avalon Sun 04-Oct-26 16:39:41

Syrup of Figs, Exlax (yuck), pink ointment.

kittylester Sun 04-Oct-26 16:45:03

Calpol hadn't been invented when I were a lass.

dayvidg Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:19

Milk of Magnesia , oil of eucalyptus, Gee's linctus

tanith Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:28

Calamine lotion

Sarnia Sun 04-Oct-26 17:06:25

Virol. A delicious sticky malt given by the spoonful daily. It was meant to build babies and children up after the war and rationing years. As I have never been an ideal weight it certainly did the trick with me.
Cod Liver Capsules These dreadful things took over from Virol when I was about 7. I was always scared one would burst before I swallowed it.
Californian Syrup of Figs. A large spoonful every Friday night whether I needed it or not. My parents generation were obsessed with the bowels.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:27:26

Californian syrup of figs ( I loved the taste) and Andrew’s Liver Salts. Calamine lotion; probably for chicken pox as I can’t remember getting sunburn as a child.

Squiffy Sun 04-Oct-26 17:33:58

Parrish’s Food Iron Tonic was a regular in our house. It was supposed to build you up. We then switched to Iron Jelloids. Like others, a dollop of cod liver oil and malt was also dispensed - I quite liked that!

MaggsMcG Sun 04-Oct-26 17:35:26

Syrup of figs. Milk of Magnesia. Germoline. Asprin. Disprin. Junior Disprin or Asprin (it was orange) and Haliborange.
TCP. Some pink throat tablets that really did a good job but I cant remember what they were called, not Strepsils.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 17:36:28

Germoline
Olive Oil
Syrup of Marshmallow
And later - Buttercup Syrup.

loopyloo Sun 04-Oct-26 17:40:23

Zambuk. If I grazed a knee, mother would wash it and use this ointment

MollyNew Sun 04-Oct-26 17:41:34

Germolene
Kaolin poultice
Haliborange
Gripe water for babies
A big spoonful of cod liver oil and malt every night in the Winter

ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:47:48

Dr.Collis Browne.
Honey , Lemon & Ipicacuana, cough syrup.
Children’s asprin , orange flavour. I think they may have been called something like Angiers.
There was also a liquid that was dabbed onto bruises but I can’t remember what it was called.

ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:49:01

I remember! Witch Hazel .

sodapop Sun 04-Oct-26 17:51:54

Germolene
Syrup of Figs, no matter what ailed you Syrup of Figs would cure it.
TCP
Seems we mostly had the same things in our cupboards then.

JamesandJon33 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:00:19

Vick, Syrup of figs, Cod liver oil. Scott’s Emulsion and Milk of Magnesia

watermeadow Sun 04-Oct-26 18:02:51

We were given calcium tablets (no milk where we lived) and cod liver oil capsules.
Calamine lotion for chicken pox.
Penicillin was injected, not in disgusting liquid as when my children were young.
Our mother was not obsessed with laxatives but I knew children who had to have a poo everyday after breakfast.