Gransnet forums

House and home

Moving House at 70 years of age!!

(47 Posts)
Swansong Tue 17-Jan-12 15:25:52

I have looked at a property semi-rural with the most beautiful garden but the snag its a detatched small bungalow, and i would really have to downize and get rid of my dining suite and other furniture.
There are just 2 bedrooms and we have 3 at present
also no utility room (can live without )
Only 1 bathroom and we have an ensuite with step in shower so wouls be a big miss!!
However property location is beautiful and much nicer garden than ours its huge.
What advice would you give me to move or not to move that really is the question!!!

glammanana Wed 18-Jan-12 21:28:30

Swansong it sounds delightful where you live, so glad we could all be of some help it's a hard decision to make I know,we made a big decision to move abroad when our youngest boy left home but it changed lives and we are very glad we made the decision,so best of luck to you for future.

Swansong Thu 19-Jan-12 19:29:01

Thank You Annobel!!

letsdavidjohn Tue 28-Jul-15 11:29:58

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

kittylester Tue 28-Jul-15 11:34:44

FFS! I'm in that sort of a mood as I just had some girl trying to mend my computer for me AGAIN!! angry

Reported

kittylester Tue 28-Jul-15 11:38:43

And, I've just had another one!!

cb93 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:38:59

Advice welcome!
I am 74 years old but fit and active and in denial! Have recently had knee replacement but am recovering well and dancing and walking almost as before.
I am currently living in a single storey house in isolated position in country. Am Looking for house in the town. It would be sensible to look for a single storey y appartment. However there are some very attractive 2 storey town houses around. I can't imagine a time when I can't cope with stairs, but who knows.??
Opinions and advice please!
Dancing gran

M0nica Wed 13-Mar-19 21:02:34

What I am enjoying about this thread is hearing from people who say that with family scattered they want to keep living in a reasonably large home.

We have quite a big 4 bedroomed house and if we move it will be to a similar sized house. In one way and another we use all the rooms. We have a large study and will continue to need one, our children do not live near so we need bedrooms for when they come to stay.

The only thing likely to make us consider a move is the size of the garden, we are still managing quite well, but a day will come when that is too much and we will have to move.

craftyone Thu 14-Mar-19 16:41:43

I looked at an old house with a 1/3 acre garden, oh yes I garden, I run an allotment and I can use a drill but, big but, I am now 71 and widowed and fortunately have an active brain which guides me during my sleep. I woke up and cancelled buying that house and that same day gave away half my allotment, keeping the easy half.

Many posters are using `we`, I used to say that but now it has to be I. That awful time when 2 becomes 1 and life has to change and thank heavens it changed before that final move because no way will I ever move again. The stress of moving is a killer, really it is. Two of us would have meant bigger bedrooms and bigger garden and semi-rural and maybe an older property, one requiring long ladders

Now I have the perfect house in my sights, still 4 bedrooms but much smaller rooms, perfect for my family to stay and for craft storage. Warm and cosy and overall much smaller, lower energy bills, lower council tax, small garden

craftyone Thu 14-Mar-19 16:44:57

cb93, look at the development as a development of families and renters. The type of people who will live next door. Will they have children kicking footballs into your garden. Barking dogs. Try and see past the glitz of a brand new home. Stairs are great, use it or lose it and for when stairs are too much, then a stair lift.

Riverwalk Thu 14-Mar-19 16:49:22

The OP would now be 77 - wonder if she did move!

Always sad to see posts from the late Greatnan.

craftyone Wed 20-Mar-19 20:01:29

I wonder how many people give up and decide not to sell, when they get yet more obscure questions from a buyers solicitor. I got those today and I had filled in the buyers pack weeks ago, questions like the development planning permission and building regs documents for installations that took place on a build that was new to us 9 years ago. Certificates for this that and the other

So I had downsized yet more stuff this morning, furniture to a dd 80 miles away and I felt happy because the men were good and suddenly there was more space. Then the seller`s solicitor questions came via e mail and destroyed my appetite and excitement and I ended up with hunderds of papers strewn on the floor and sofa and table

What I am saying, is that the downsizing is the easy bit and make sure to keep every document you have ever had for your house. The details they wanted went back to 2004 and our house was finished for us to move in during 2010. Luckily I found stuff online because somehow my husband had been given the planning permission number

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Mar-19 20:09:28

I agree, it is the garden, having spent just a few hours gardening this afternoon I came in thinking 'downsize'.

We could probably find a cleaner fairly easily if needed, but finding a reliable gardener is well nigh impossible.

Witzend Thu 21-Mar-19 09:38:42

I'm another who wouldn't want a smaller house, not that we're thinking of moving, since where we are is very convenient with fantastic public transport, and would still work if (God forbid) we couldn't drive.

House is not huge - we'd have loved more downstairs space esp. when dds were teens - but we do have 4 bedrooms which are all needed now and then for family/friends.
It's fine for me and dh, not too big, and the garden is small.

I used to think I'd like to move to the country or coast when we retired, but staying many times with friends in rural Devon cured me of that. Beautiful area, but needing to drive at least 10 minutes every time you need a pint of milk - no thanks!
And oddly enough it's a lot easier to enjoy good walks here - plenty of open space nearby - without having to drive first, or else risk very narrow lanes with no pavements and the odd local boy racer hurtling around corners.

BradfordLass72 Thu 21-Mar-19 09:48:59

My brave mother not only moved house, all alone, but countries when she was 75 !

Riversidegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 10:28:36

We have lived in big houses in 2 different villages now, for 40 years ???at different times obviously! We found a bungalow 6 days before we were going on holiday: right size (2 beds), right location, near one DS. And in a city! We had to make a quick decision and a quick good offer. Between us all we scraped the money together to get it off the market, and are now starting to sell our own large bungalow. We are both looking forward to getting back to city life, instead of having to travel backwards and forwards to anything decent. We shall also have a bus every 10 minutes, and will be able to get into the peaks and dales on buses! We nearly left it too late. Forget the ensuite, and go for it. PS I'm nervous!

Riversidegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 10:30:37

We had all our garden made into a lovely big lawn a few years ago, and will do the same when we move. I always said I would never move unless to a place with a view. I hung on and on, and yes we shall have one!

Franbern Tue 04-Jun-19 13:35:34

I am currently in the process of selling a house(London.Essex border) and buying a flat in Weston S Mare in Somerset. I will be 78 in a few days time, and am finding it very difficult. Only me to make the decisions. Sixteen years ago I downsized from the family house to this 3-bed 1930 terrace, then - almost immediately had to have the loft done to make room for one of my daughters ever increasing number of babies.
Whilst I worked I had lots done to the house, with the idea of making it easy to run when I retired (just before my 70th birthday). I can manage most of the housework but do have a gardener now for the very small garden.
A bad fall early this year, really decided me that I need to be in a flat. These days, it is rare for any of my children to come to stay with me - even when they come to London, usually stay with my eldest daughter who lives about a mile away.
So, I am just looking for a flat that will suit me - want 2 beds so can have a friend stay - but TBH - if any of the family do visit then they will be better staying at hotels.
I have to decide between the larger, normal 2-bed flats or a smaller sheltered housing flat. Tempting this is as it will mean that there will be company without having to go out, etc. etc.
With my house under offer - and my Solicitor saying it should only take 2-3 months to complete (I have been thinking of nearer four months), I will be viewing flats on Saturday a week and will have to make my decision then.
I have been spending a lot of time, clearing out things - for a time making weekly visits to the Charity shops, still a way to go. Yes, it is cathartic.
At 70 many of us are still reasonably fit and healthy - but as the decade proceeds age does catch up with us.
It is a big move for me, as I have never lived outside East London/Essex and I will be moving down to Somerset. My five children are all scattered, so wherever I go I can only be near one of them.

SalsaQueen Tue 04-Jun-19 18:38:46

I wouldn't sacrifice losing extra space inside a house just to have a lovely garden. Only you know if you really want to move or not.

Witzend Wed 05-Jun-19 20:26:16

Like a pp, we have no intention of downsizing for the foreseeable - we are 70 and 71. House is not too big or unmanageable - though we'd have loved more space when dds were both at home. We did in fact try to move more than once, but it never came off.

Our 4 bedrooms are all used fairly often, including later this week. I do want space for family to stay - 2 couples and 2 little ones last Christmas, and we'll have a full house again in July.
Garden is small and manageable, and we have a very good shopping centre, GP and hospital very close by, plus very good public transport on top.
So IMO we'd be daft to move.

Dd with the 2 little ones would love it if we were round the corner, instead of a 1 1/2 hour drive away, but TBH although we like her area, it's not far off as expensive as around here (outer SW London) so anything as good as we've got would v likely leave us out of pocket once the stamp duty and fees were added, not to mention the things you nearly always have or want to do re carpets, curtains, etc.

jura2 Thu 06-Jun-19 15:36:58

THE one big consideration is access - public transport imho.

craftyone Fri 07-Jun-19 08:36:59

Having moved just a month ago. The main factors at over 70 have to be access ie transport and shops with facilities such as U3A and safe cycling next. I have lived much of my life rural and semi rural, I would class where I am now as small town ie a market town which is thriving. I went a bit smaller still 4 bedrooms but had to give away all my study furniture and several comfy chairs and other bits of furniture as well as the usual stuff such as crockery but I have done it with no looking back. One bedroom will be my craft room and one the `health` room also for ironing board. One a guest room and one is main

I have enough garden to keep me happy but am keeping an eye to the future and am getting the patio doubled, while the builders are on site. I love stairs, use it or lose it. Not until I moved did I fully appreciate being able to walk to the shops