Gransnet forums

House and home

Coffee makers, advice please

(62 Posts)
Nanadog Thu 15-Nov-12 09:30:55

My beloved but ancient Tassimo is on its way out, it sounds very arthritic and is getting quite cranky and obtuse (just like MrDog in fact only more useful.....)
I need to invest in a new machine preferably idiot proof and with pods. I love my cappuccino in the morning and MrDog will drink anything.
Can any coffee-loving GNetters suggest a suitable replacement or shall I just go for the new Tassimo model?

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:37:34

We have a small Lavazza but I think pods are expensive to keep buying and have to be disposed of. I buy them in bulk when I see a good deal.
My husband likes the taste but still prefers his cafetiere, and grinds beans sometimes.

I much prefer decaff instant.

Possum Mon 09-Dec-19 17:08:33

A coffee scoop will help you measure the right amount of coffee to the number of cups you are brewing. A permanent filter in a machine eliminates the need for paper filters which can be a pain to keep in stock. Some machines come with this but you can buy them separately if you choose. And if you want the freshest tasting coffee it is always wise to grind your own beans at home, so if your machine doesn't have a grinder you might want to invest in your own coffee grinder. bakingreview.com/nespresso-coffee-maker/

craftyone Sun 20-Oct-19 17:47:00

I use a sage coffee grinder and either a french press or an aeoropress. I had to give my big sage coffee machine away, no room here but I use the grinder every day

buddh Sat 19-Oct-19 15:30:14

I own a Cuisinart Coffee Maker. I made coffee as normal this morning and later came into the kitchen. I heard the coffee boiling in the pot and as I took the pot off the base, the bottom and the back of the unit began to smoke. I unplugged the unit immediately and put it into the sink and poured a cup of water onto the base to cool it off.
bakingreview.com/amazon-basics-coffee-maker/

goldengirl Mon 11-Aug-14 17:49:30

My little Krups Dolce Gusto is superb. Press button to switch on; pour in the water; put mug under nozzle; pop in your choice of capsule; push the lever until your cup runneth over - well not quite over; flick lever back and enjoy! So many types of pod to try too. And it doesn't take up much space at all in my already cluttered kitchen. Obtainable from Tesco's.

hildajenniJ Mon 11-Aug-14 16:50:22

I've had several different machines over the years. The last one being a senseo. All have either been given away or sold on. The senseo now resdes at the back of the cupboard. I've gone back to the good old cafetiere, or perish the thought, instant coffee.

granjura Mon 11-Aug-14 16:23:25

Personally I hate the Nespresso machine due to the enormous waste of precious aluminium! I have a DeLonghi machine where you put the coffee grains, and it grinds enough coffee for 1 or 2 cups at a time- all the grounds are then thrown onto the tall mixed borders, the veg patch or the compost.

feetlebaum Mon 11-Aug-14 16:21:00

I use a Krups filter machine, and buy Colombian beans which I grind as needed. Simples!

janeainsworth Mon 11-Aug-14 16:15:24

Oh dear! the spammers are out in force today. Is it the high winds, I wonder?
Reported.

voxnutrition Mon 11-Aug-14 16:06:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dollie Sat 04-Jan-14 11:05:52

i had a senseo but it died...i now buy the sachets of nescafe unsweetened capachinos it works out a lot cheaper and its really tasty..

vonmichael Sat 04-Jan-14 10:35:27

If you are familiar with Bosch than have a look at this model
Tassimo TAS4211. If it's not to expensive for your needs.

Rosiebee Sat 04-Jan-14 10:02:37

I love the fact that with the Nespresso, which is very basic and so simple to use, I don't get any gritty bits at the bottom of the cup. Not to mention that the coffee is delicious. I've never had much success with cafetieres or filter jugs. Tried loads of different coffees but the coffee always seemed to taste thin and I ended up with coffee grounds all over the place. I only want one cup of coffee, no more. Still use the instant as well. Thanks Agus for other pods info. I'll have a go with those as I can't get to the Trafford Centre yet to use up my voucher. smile

Deedaa Fri 03-Jan-14 23:07:46

I must admit that I do keep a six cup Moka pot on the shelf, because if more than two or three people want a coffee it's quicker and easier than making multiple cups with a machine.
I suppose I should come clean and admit that I have trained as a barista - but I still think a Nespresso makes a very good coffee , if you don't mind everything else that goes with it.

Agus Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:28

All it means Nellie is that I do what suits me as I sure you do what suits you. It's none of my business what others choose to spend their money on.

Ariadne Fri 03-Jan-14 17:44:48

A cafetiere, some good, fresh ground if you must, Columbian, and an insulated jug for what's left over - that is what I use, having discarded more coffee makers than I care to remember!

Riverwalk Fri 03-Jan-14 17:21:41

In reply to your rather sniffy post Nellie:

the machines are not complicated; you are not restricted to a specific brand; the cost of a pod is around 0.30p each; you can't produce an espresso in a cafetiere; and finally, I have no idea of the price at Costa but assume it's around £2.50.

I also have a stove-top espresso pot but that takes time and watching over, the machine takes seconds!

Nelliemoser Fri 03-Jan-14 16:58:20

You coffee addicts must excuse me, but surely it is possible to get decent brew of coffee without having to resort to a complicated machine that relies on your use of a specific brand and type of capsule insert.

Does this means you are limited to using the one brand that matches the machine never mind the costs of the extra packaging.

How does the price of of a cup of coffee from a fancy all singing all dancing machine compare with that from a pack of ground coffee brewed in a cafetiere. Or or for that matter from a branch of Costa. brew

Agus Fri 03-Jan-14 16:52:52

Rosie I have a Nespresso machine and now buy the pods, Cafe Pod, in Sainsbury's and Dualit pods in Waitrose. Much easier now than ordering online.

harrigran Fri 03-Jan-14 16:38:24

DD has one of these coffee machines and brings the capsules from Brussels to her other home in UK.
TBH I wouldn't buy something if they can't be a***d to stock the vital ingredient.

Rosiebee Fri 03-Jan-14 15:01:57

Thanks Deedaa, you've said what I was thinking about the attitude. I commented to my DH that they were completely up their own , well let's say,up their own backsides. Why on earth can't they sell their coffee at least in the same places where their machines are sold? I'll just be going into the 'boutique' and buying my choice of capsules, no different from getting it from Sainsburys. I did talk to an assistant at Lakeland who sell Nespresso machines and he said that they were in talks with the firm to be allowed to sell the coffee as well. We'll wait and see.

seasider Fri 03-Jan-14 09:30:36

DH loves his stove top coffee pot and my Italian son in law swears it is the best way to make espresso.

Deedaa Thu 02-Jan-14 21:52:10

I did love my Nespresso - so easy and such good coffee - but I was driven insane by the whole sending off for the coffee thing! It was expensive because you have to order quite a bit to make it worth paying the postage and it was inconvenient because I had to calculate when to order so that I would be at home for the delivery. I also got a bit irritated by the whole "Our coffee is so wonderful we couldn't possibly sell it in shops" attitude.
I bought some refillable capsules on ebay (can't remember the brand, but they came in packs of 100) they worked fairly well, you have to juggle them a bit in the machine but it can be done. You really need to be able to spare an hour to sit and carefully spoon the coffee into the capsules and it does get messy, but it depends how fed up you get with ordering the Nespresso ones.

Riverwalk Thu 02-Jan-14 16:59:50

I haven't tried them but you can get Nespresso-compatible capsules online, such as

capsules

The original Nespresso Club capsules are mailed from Macclesfield - maybe they have an outlet shop!

Rosiebee Thu 02-Jan-14 16:35:00

Well I eventually got my coffee machine at Christmas. DH and I went to look at lots of different ones in John Lewis and I eventually chose a Nespresso 'U'. A basic design as I will only use it for black coffees. I really wanted the cream one but they didn't have one in stock and for some bizarre reason, the black one was £20 cheaper at £69.99. So that's what I got. Also got a free coffee voucher for £40. I've been using up the 16 capsules that came with it - all delicious- but does anyone else think that it's a bit odd having to send off for the coffee? The postage is about £5 and we usually have to go to the PO to collect any parcels. They do have a 'Coffee Boutique' at the Trafford Centre which I'll probably use. Seems a bit of a faff going there just to buy some coffee. {Really don't like the TC. Too big and traffic is usually dreadful}
I know they say only to use their own make of coffee, but has anyone else used a different brand in a Nespresso machine? hmm