Gransnet forums

House and home

Cordless vacuum cleaners

(58 Posts)
HappyGran Sun 23-Jun-13 14:06:51

I didn't know anything about cordless vacuum cleaners, but after reading lots of good reviews have just ordered one from QVC. It's on Today's Special Value so is at a special price just for today.

They seem so light and will be easy to carry around, it will seem strange re-charging it after using a conventional one all these years. Do anyone have one - how have you found it compared to the usual cleaners?

callgirl1 Wed 23-Aug-17 16:39:56

I love my Gtech, it`s the 2nd one they brought out, and the little hand one, the Gtech Multi, is brilliant, the handiest thing I`ve ever bought. Only one problem..............I keep forgetting to put them on charge!

HildaW Wed 23-Aug-17 10:58:11

Have just updated my GTECH for the new pet GTECH K9. Wow thought the old one was good but this is great. So light and efficient with led lighting that shows you all the dust under the bed! We actually visited their showrooms on the edge of Worcester where they have all their products....very interesting and a friendly bunch of enthusiastic staff.

vacuumcarpetgeek Wed 23-Aug-17 10:37:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annodomini Thu 03-Jul-14 23:56:34

I love my Dyson DC44. It doesn't hurt my back or shoulders to use it and a charge is plenty for my small house.

Coolgran65 Thu 03-Jul-14 23:17:59

i got the dc44 about 4 months ago and have used nothing else since. Love it, plenty of charge for what is needed. Brilliant. smile

squaredog Thu 03-Jul-14 22:58:00

I've had the Dyson DC44 for a few weeks now. My dominant arm is still in plaster, and I can STILL whip round the house with it with one arm.

Goes from floor to carpet with no help from me, and as the old ad used to say, "beats as it sweeps as it cleans".

Not cheap, but I certainly won't be returning to a conventional vac.

Flippin brilliant if you ask me.......

sherish Wed 02-Jul-14 07:27:16

We have the G Tech ones, both the upright and the hand one. They are absolutely brilliant. They pick up cat hairs plus all the usual dust etc no problem. When you switch them on there's no effort to push them around as they seem to go by themselves. We took our other vacuum cleaner to the dump recently as we won't use it again.

I would highly recommend these vacs. (I don't work for the company, I just clean my own house!)

easonlin Wed 02-Jul-14 06:51:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Agus Fri 07-Mar-14 12:57:31

I bought a Dyson Cordless DC59 last week. Very impressed so far but the only minus is, I do find it noisier than vacuums I have had in the past.

Elegran Fri 07-Mar-14 12:56:25

Mine is OK going forwards but if you roll it back and forth it drops fluff on the back sweep. It must be still on the roller brushes if you reverse too soon. Worst when it needs emptying, which is very frequently.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Mar-14 12:49:05

Hmm. My Gtec (like a ewbank but rechargeable) seems pretty good at dumping the fluff back out again! hmm

Nonu Fri 07-Mar-14 11:54:29

ROSE , me too , himself uses hoover but I can"t be bothered getting it out . Ewbank much , much easier !
heyho !
Laugh !

rosequartz Fri 07-Mar-14 11:50:40

A Ewbank was all my MIL ever used!

mrsmopp Fri 07-Mar-14 11:45:47

Hope this doesn't class as advertising but Lidl will be selling a cordless sweeper from 10th March for £24.99. Made by Vileda, when fully charged it will run for 45 minutes. Checkout their website but I think it would be great for a quick whizz round. Maybe not as powerful as Dyson but hey, look at the price! I have always found Lidl very good at refunds if any product does not meet expectations.
Didn't every house have a big Ewbank sweeper years ago? It actually did work though!

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 19:47:14

Your house sounds like mine charleygirl, a breeding ground for vacuum cleaners. I forgot the vax in the garage which is mainly DH'S pet now. I like Bob because he whizzes around when I'm out, but he doesn't seem to like carpets and made a nasty mark on the rug in the hall, so we have to clear the decks when he is on the move. That includes putting kitchen chairs on top of the table, as he gets stuck and spends two hours whizzing around under a chair.
DD1 has two 'Bobs' and one woke up when I was creeping to spend a penny in the middle of the night. He gave me the fright of my life as he moved towards me, lights flashing and beeping away. I woke everyone up as I was trying to put him back to bed.

Charleygirl Sun 02-Mar-14 16:52:13

I appear to have a surfeit of vacuum cleaners. I have a cylinder Miele Cat and Dog for upstairs, a smaller cylinder Miele for downstairs (they are heavy to heave upstairs) and a cylinder Vax because the Cat N dog Miele has a blockage and I have not been able to get it repaired yet. The Vax is okay for small jobs. I also have a Roomba which also needs to be repaired. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that I still had it.

The Miele cylinder has been a Which? best buy for many months now.

DebnCreme Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:57

Have a nasty feeling they are no longer made rosequartz which is why we went for the Dyson. Ended up giving it a poor review on the Dyson website but never heard any more.

grannyactivist Sun 02-Mar-14 16:13:57

KatyK I also had a Dyson in the past and was very disappointed with it, but the one I have now is amazing and I use it every day.

KatyK Sun 02-Mar-14 16:09:18

Treated ourselves to a Dyson about 5 years ago. It has 'packed up' twice and is now making an horrendous noise every time we use it. I wouldn't buy another. Oh and it is really heavy.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 15:53:57

Thanks DebnCreme, will look into that, not heard of the red devil. I was put off by the price of the dyson. We've had a black and decker handheld for years and it is OK for picking up a few bits but not much more. It's on its last legs now

grannyactivist Sun 02-Mar-14 15:44:09

I (thought) I had a problem with my Dyson a few weeks ago, but when I phoned tech support he talked me through a few simple checks and I discovered a piece of plastic had been sucked up and caused a blockage. It was really easy to remove and now I'm back to thinking my Dyson Digital Slim is still the best vacuum I've ever owned. It's really easy to use on the stairs and I have no problems carrying it around as it's so light.

DebnCreme Sun 02-Mar-14 15:33:03

Not keen on my handheld Dyson rosequartz it does not pick up as well as the Red Devil we used to have (think that's the name). OH loves the Dyson for his car though.

rosequartz Sat 01-Mar-14 20:44:38

We have quite a collection, a large heavy Dyson for upstairs, a cylinder Dyson for downstairs (could not carry the heavy one up and down stairs) and DD1 bought us a robotic cleaner as we have some hard floors downstairs. We call him 'Bob', but he does get stuck under the conservatory furniture. ( All collected over many years.)

However, I would love a cordless handheld vacuum cleaner for quick jobs, such as the stairs and conservatory. They Dysons are quite expensive, but seem to be the best from reviews.

KatyK Sat 01-Mar-14 18:32:09

Oh I see. Thank you Jingl.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Mar-14 18:30:32

Son has got the Dyson one. That's how I know. Only thing that bugs me is that you have to hold the on switch on while you use it. Suppose it is to save battery. It does only need a light touch though. He swears by his.