Gransnet forums

House and home

Cordless vacuum cleaners

(57 Posts)
HappyGran Sun 23-Jun-13 14:06:51

I didn't know anything about cordless vacuum cleaners, but after reading lots of good reviews have just ordered one from QVC. It's on Today's Special Value so is at a special price just for today.

They seem so light and will be easy to carry around, it will seem strange re-charging it after using a conventional one all these years. Do anyone have one - how have you found it compared to the usual cleaners?

whenim64 Sun 23-Jun-13 14:10:59

Yes, the DC44 that was reviewed on Gransnet. Several Gransnetters were lucky to try them out and keep them. Brillant for stairs, and I will never drag my heavy Dyson upstairs again. I can vac up quickly in just a few minutes before visitors arrive.

HappyGran Sun 23-Jun-13 14:15:56

That's brilliant that they got to keep them. I can't wait for mine to come now.

Ella46 Sun 23-Jun-13 14:16:33

Yes, I have the same one as when, and I love it. I can't remember the last time I had my 'Henry' out!

glammanana Sun 23-Jun-13 14:21:47

Last year I was lucky enough to try out and keep a Hoover Globe cleaner which is a really good hoover and so easy to move around,but after reading the write up's about the DC44 I bought one of those aswell and it is a godsend when you only need to

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:23:22

The mind boggle Ella what or who is your 'Henry'?

glammanana Sun 23-Jun-13 14:24:09

^^ gremlins out to-day ? I was going to finish by saying it's a godsend when cleaning up if children have been and crumbs etc are left,never have to worry about the weight etc.You will love it Happygran

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:24:10

to.....? Keep us guessing Glamma

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:24:40

Crossed posts.

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:25:48

I have a robot vacuum cleaner. Leave him running while I go shopping, gardening, school run, etc.

Ella46 Sun 23-Jun-13 14:32:47

Aka My 'Little Henry' vacuum of course! grin

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:34:03

Ah yes, is that the kind with the barrel and the long hose?

gracesmum Sun 23-Jun-13 14:36:27

Henry must surely be Ella's butler, no?

glammanana Sun 23-Jun-13 14:36:41

Henry is a nice little Hoover on wheels with a red main body and a black top (his hat) the main body has two little eyes and a smiley grin,he has some relatives called hetty who is lovely in bright pink and black (suits the fashion concious glamma) James/Charles and George.Henry has been about since the early 80s and is one of the best hoovers for heavy domestic jobs he cleaned up well when our dogs used to moult.

gracesmum Sun 23-Jun-13 14:37:21

Aka boasting about DH again?

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 14:40:32

Sadly not. It's a Roomba I was talking about.

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 14:40:50

I also acquired a DC44 and need no other vacuum cleaner. It is also ideal for vacuuming the car, a job I dislike, but which takes no time at all with this machine.

j08 Sun 23-Jun-13 15:33:03

I've got a roomba. But I think he stretches my carpets.Might be the weight. And they don't tell you how much suction power they have.

Reddevil3 Sun 23-Jun-13 20:47:19

I am awaiting delivery of a handheld Hoover. Just the thing for those little jobs and like the Dyson it has a wall bracket for charging but I couldn't justify the cost of the DC44, having just bought a steam cleaner as well!
By the way, I have a Vax upright which I hardly ever use as I have a cordless floor/ carpet sweeper from that well-known shop in Stortford.

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 21:24:15

The cordless sweeper is also a godsend. It lasts so long on one charge that it comes as a shock when it decides to stop dead. But it doesn't get into corners and isn't any use on the stairs. I like to do the stairs with a rubber brush which brings the dust out like magic. I brush it down from step to step and vacuum it up at the bottom.

Grindos Mon 24-Jun-13 18:41:22

We've just bought a Dyson DC35 because our upright Dyson weighs a ton. We both love the new one. The battery lasts 15 mins but that seems plenty to whiz around either upstairs or downstairs. It's great for the car and the stairs.

jayjones Tue 25-Jun-13 13:08:31

Cordless vacuum cleaners are great aren't they?! The only drawback is that they charge for quite a while, but only last for around 15 minutes or so. This is fine if you live in a small home, but a larger home would probably benefit from a normal vacuum cleaner - perhaps a lightweight one. Vacuum cleaners tend to be the worst part of house cleaning, because they weigh so much, particularly if you're going up and down stairs!

I use a Vax U91MAB, which I found using a comparison website specifically for lightweight vacuum cleaners: www.lightweightvacuumcleanershub.co.uk

I've had it for 6 months and it's been bliss. There are also some Dyson models that are very light, BUT they are hugely expensive!

You could buy a cordless/hand held vacuum cleaner for those little spills or to spruce up the place before visitors arrive, but I wouldn't use one for cleaning your home top to bottom as the machine probably won't last that long.

jennymom Mon 15-Jul-13 16:44:22

There is a lot to choose from but don't worry, I have found the top rated vacuums the-best-vacuum-cleaner.com pick one from those, guaranteed quality

mrsmopp Thu 29-Aug-13 08:26:02

Anno, which cordless sweeper do you have? I'm asking because you say it lasts a long time on one charge, but others are saying they only get 15 minutes before having to be plugged in again,
I would like one of these devices, especially if it goes straight from carpets to hard floors. But I'm still debating which model to get.

Deedaa Thu 17-Oct-13 22:51:29

We've just bought the Dyson Digital Slim and we've both been gobsmacked at the amount of "stuff" it has got out of our carpet - and it's quite a new carpet, not like it's sat there for years! Vacuuming the stairs is a doddle and it's easy to empty too!