Gransnet forums

House and home

Best bed mattress for immobile sleeper?

(18 Posts)
JessM Mon 02-Sep-13 08:39:19

MIL could do with a new mattress or whole bed. She cannot roll over in bed so stays on her back all night, or sits up for a bit on the edge of the bed for a change of position. She sleeps with 3 pillows (this scenario is due to a range of physical problems e.g arthritic spine, painful hips etc Basically in pain all the time from various causes)
She is reluctant to get a memory foam mattress because she's been told they are hot. (and indeed previous thread on tempur on GN makes this point)
Any recommendations or cautionary tales?

Riverwalk Mon 02-Sep-13 08:47:13

What about an electric bed that will enable her to sit up at times which would relieve the pressure from lying in the same position - it would also do away with the need for three pillows

bed

Charleygirl Mon 02-Sep-13 08:57:14

I have a memory foam mattress with a memory foam topper on top. I found the mattress to be very low, hence the topper. I do find it very hot in summer but as I am a cold person I do not worry too much.For me, it is great in winter as it keeps its heat if I go to the loo. Even if she did buy one, I think that your MiL would have difficulty turning over in bed. I am used to it now but I had difficulty when I first bought it. I also have a memory foam pillow which I could not do without.

All I can suggest is that you find the largest bed shop and just go from bed to bed, trying them out.

A friend of mine bought a new bed etc a few months ago with a Tempur memory foam mattress. Her husband loved it but she was up and down during the night, windows open/closed, fan on /off driving him crazy until they exchanged the mattress. They had I think 30 days to exchange if it was not suitable.

whenim64 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:04:53

I have a Tempur mattress which is very comfortable, but it is difficult to turn over in bed if you have mobility problems or are frail. A bed which is adjustable would be much better, like the ones hospitals use, for an elderly person.

JessM Mon 02-Sep-13 09:14:40

riverwalk this is a possiblility but we persuaded her to get an electrically controlled tilting chair - the kind that pushes you to standing - but she says it brings on vertigo (another of her problems)
I wasn't thinking that any mattress would enable her to turn over - even if she could do so her hips are too painful to lie on side.
Just what would be least grim from the point of view of being stuck on your back all night. If not temper, then what kind of mattress?
Bedshopping not really an option either charleygirl she is much too infirm to do this bless her. She can just about get herself to the loo and make herself a sandwich. She is very uncomplaining though and copes with a bit of support, on her own.

Riverwalk Mon 02-Sep-13 09:22:24

I can understand the vertigo with the standing chair, as it brings you almost totally upright, whereas the electric bed would just raise her back up so might not induce vertigo. Some beds can also raise the feet, again just to relieve pressure from being in the same place - she would of course still be on her back.

Try and show her the link I sent - just so she doesn't think that it looks too much like a hospital bed!

Stansgran Mon 02-Sep-13 09:32:49

Why not ask social services if they can provide a bed. Try the GP first.

Charleygirl Mon 02-Sep-13 09:37:21

A cheaper trial option may be to buy her a single memory foam mattress topper (or borrow one?) It would not make any difference if she has a double bed although the bed can become hot. I lent one to another friend and she had it on the bed for 2 hours, she could not stand the heat that it appeared to emit.

I bought my mattress specifically for my joints. At least with a mattress topper one does not feel the springs etc through the under blankets etc. If the only problem was heat, then maybe a thinner duvet.

I think that whatever is bought, try and get it on trial or return.

annodomini Mon 02-Sep-13 09:57:09

I have used a memory foam mattress topper for the past six years and rarely felt too hot. I use a fleecy underblanket over it so its insulating properties may be the reason why it doesn't warm me up too much.

Anne58 Mon 02-Sep-13 10:47:49

I saw an ad in the paper the other day for a new type of mattress that has a layer of gel that is supposed to help regulate the temperature. It is being stocked by Bensons Beds.

JessM Mon 02-Sep-13 12:42:27

I think a topper may be the way to go. A further complication (from SIL) is that if mattress too squidgy she will not be able to push herself up to standing. I think the heat thing is because foam is such an efficient insulator that body heat does not disperse. A slightly less efficient insulating layer - fleece - on top might do the trick.
Thanks everyone.

Anne58 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:39:12

Found it!

www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/igel-mattresses.html#.UiSG08twYdU

Anne58 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:41:30

HOW MUCH !!!!! shock

Eloethan Tue 03-Sep-13 00:38:02

If it really was much more comfortable perhaps it would be worth the expense. But I notice the mattress only has a 1 year guarantee and I'm sure that most of the dearer mattresses usually have a longer guarantee than that.

JessM Tue 03-Sep-13 07:05:46

Yes i guess it would if it you were suffering like that eloethan sad

dustyangel Tue 03-Sep-13 15:57:38

Both DH and I have had accidents in the past with damage to our spines, resulting in arthritic and nerve pain getting worse as we get older. We bought a memory foam mattress, in Portugal, which was a great relief at first but as the temperatures warmed up I (not DH) started having problems in my feet, supposedly due to spinal nerve damage. We cooled the mattress down a lot by buying a quilted cotton mattress topper and my feet got a lot better.
I think some problems are made worse by poor circulation, which possibly your MiL being female, unwell, and not being able to move around suffers from.

When it gets really hot in Summer I think about investing in silk pillow cases, maybe sheets, which are supposed to be cooler.

stellasmith Wed 30-Oct-13 07:26:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

stellasmith Wed 30-Oct-13 08:59:07

I think you should use spring mattress rather than foam mattress to avoid heat of foam mattress.