Gransnet forums

House and home

Who can recommend a good chair?

(35 Posts)
Soutra Sun 02-Feb-14 18:33:26

DH really needs a good armchair which gives him a reasonably high (and firm) seat and firm lumbar support. His back/hips/knees are really bothering him and neither our squishy sofas or his current "fireside" chair which has got very soft and saggy after 17 years' use give him a comfortable seat.
I have looked at HL comfort chairs and while many are ghastly there may be a couple that wo uld fit in well, and also a company called A J Way who manufacture for those "mobility" shops you see who do aids for the elderly/disabled. What an admission, but what the heck, if you need a comfy chair, who cares what it is called?
He doesn't want the sort that catapults you into space or with flip out leg rests, but can anybody who has had experience of buying this sort of thing give me advice??

mrsmopp Sun 19-Mar-17 08:20:52

I have a Parker Knoll fireside chair, the kind with wooden legs and it's fine. I got it on eBay as the new price made my eyes water! It's very supportive, well made and very comfortable. It will see me out.....

suzied Sun 19-Mar-17 10:57:54

Bought a 1970s Parker Knoll Statesman chair from eBay and had it reupholstered with all fire regs etc, its a real design icon and very comfortable. It swivels and rocks. the chair that is advertised as the most comfortable chair in the world is the G Plan 6250 which you can find on eBay or you can buy new , not cheap though.

IbrahimCaleb Mon 09-May-22 21:13:46

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Blossoming Mon 09-May-22 21:21:20

Reported

IbrahimCaleb Mon 09-May-22 21:22:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Callistemon21 Mon 09-May-22 21:41:45

2014 Thread!

Reported

Franbern Tue 10-May-22 12:50:40

Last year I did come to terms with the fact that I now really needed to have a riser/recliner chair. Did spend a good time looking into these. Learned all about single and double motors, etc. Had a couple of firms who brought chairs for me to 'try' at home.

As my lower back is still painful from a stress fracture there a couple of years ago, and my neck aches a lot dur to age deterioration, I was concerned that any such chair needed to be suitable for these problems.

After much looking and trying, I finally found one at Careco. This has FOUR motors, so separate ones both for neck area and lumbar region, as well as riser and recliner.

Good choice of materials for covering - my other furniture - srea very nice DFS electric recliner armchair and sofa in a just off-white material, rather than try to match this absolutely, I went for a toning one - ends of each arm is wooden, to match in with my floor, etc.

It has been brilliant - had it nearly a year now. Really does everything it claimed and looks good. Very pricey though.... I paid half and my AC paid the other half as my 80th birthday pressie.

Redhead56 Tue 10-May-22 17:57:37

I have Arthritic hip and knee I decided a reclining chair may help. I ordered one on line after much looking. It's a manual recliner I ordered it from Wayfair but I don't know what the make is. It's very comfortable and I do think it's helping with my leg swelling and restlessness.

Keeper1 Tue 17-May-22 18:54:56

My husband needs two new knees he bought he bought himself a rise and recline chair and is very happy with it so much he is ordering another one and I will have this one, I do not need (yet) the rise function but the recline is rather pleasant.