House and home

Incense sticks

(33 Posts)
rubylady Mon 09-Feb-15 02:13:38

Does anyone use these?

absent Mon 09-Feb-15 04:58:07

Yes, from time to time.

Leticia Mon 09-Feb-15 07:25:00

I hate them - I get out of places pretty quick if they are using them. The smell gets everywhere.

J52 Mon 09-Feb-15 07:27:33

Not for me. They make me sneeze! I prefer scented candles and reed stocks. x

Marelli Mon 09-Feb-15 07:34:28

I use them quite often. They can be a bit messy, depending on where you put them, but I've found that sticking them in a plant pot is a handy place. Doesn't seem to hurt the plant, either.

Brendawymms Mon 09-Feb-15 07:56:26

I used to have a cat who after she used her litter box an Incense stick was essential. grin

ninathenana Mon 09-Feb-15 07:57:19

No, I don't like them.

Falconbird Mon 09-Feb-15 08:24:21

I used to love them but don't now for some reason. My son uses them a lot and has a lovely selection of perfumes for various moods.

feetlebaum Mon 09-Feb-15 08:52:49

Are we talking of joss-sticks? The only problem with them is the ash....

Agus Mon 09-Feb-15 09:02:23

I have recently rediscovered joss sticks which are no longer the ubiquitous patchouli scent and burn them quite frequently. Musk or rose. I stick them in a small pot with blue tack which saves messy ash.

Marelli Mon 09-Feb-15 09:03:00

Joss-sticks, feetlebaum, smile. The ash is a nuisance, that's why I stick them in a plant-pot.

Teetime Mon 09-Feb-15 09:05:55

I used to but they are messy even in a plant pot so I use scented candles and reed diffusers but hopefully we will soon be flinging the windows open wide. I stop using them in summer.

Nelliemoser Mon 09-Feb-15 09:12:27

I do not like "Joss sticks" They are always a bit too heavily perfumed and I find the ash "too smoky" scented candles are similarly "heavy" in their perfumes and you also get the smell of the paraffin wax.

I find the oil diffusers with the reeds, the least intrusive of these "perfume your home things".

baubles Mon 09-Feb-15 15:08:48

There are holders designed to catch the ash from joss sticks. They're shaped a bit like a broad ski with a little hole in the curved end in which to stick the stick, so to speak. It then sits at an angle so that the ash falls onto the long part of the ski. Ingenious smile

merlotgran Mon 09-Feb-15 15:13:42

I've got one of those, baubles. Now......where did I put it? grin

Marelli Mon 09-Feb-15 15:33:27

I have a few of those holders, baubles......somehow the ash always seems to fall to the side, no matter how carefully I set the stick in!

Mishap Mon 09-Feb-15 15:35:26

They make me wheeze and the smell stays in your clothes.

MiniMouse Mon 09-Feb-15 16:21:14

I use joss sticks and incense, but only buy those made with natural oils and spices. Don't like the idea of breathing in chemicals!

loopylou Mon 09-Feb-15 16:53:01

Found 3 boxes/tubes of them in back of cupboard...remind me too much of incense at endless school Mass services.....

tanith Mon 09-Feb-15 16:57:52

No can't bear the smell it lingers in everything..

Nelliemoser Mon 09-Feb-15 18:45:11

MinmouseAll "natural products" including homegrown flowers etc have very complex chemicals compounds in them, or they would not smell at all.

Just read what chemicals are in Lavender.

"In vitro, lavender oil is cytotoxic as well as photosensitizing. A study demonstrated that lavender oil is cytotoxic to human skin cells in vitro (endothelial cells and fibroblasts) at a concentration of 0.25%. "

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil

janerowena Mon 09-Feb-15 23:00:49

I love joss sticks, but have spent tonight listening to a lecture on 'History of Politics in the Holy Land' complete with atmospheric Frankincense. Ye gods but that stuff is foul.

MiniMouse Mon 09-Feb-15 23:24:25

Nelliem after I posted I realised that I should have written synthetic chemicals! Yes, not even natural products are perfect! I also think that Wikipedia is not necessarily to be relied upon for information unless it's backed up by links to proper research.

purplehairstreak Tue 10-Feb-15 17:01:11

I also used to use joss sticks back in the 70's. Rarely use them now, but recently needed to do something drastic to remove the fishy smell pervading the kitchen after the production of a particularly delicious fish pie made by DH. The joss stick worked - I have one of the mini ski thingys to catch the ash - but then the smell pervaded the living room so it ponged of joss stick. Currently have an oil burner belting out lavender fumes in the hall as that fishy smell went everywhere.

Guess we won't be having fish pie again for a while....

bree Mon 02-Oct-17 12:52:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for violating our guidelines.