Gransnet forums

House and home

New kitchen sink

(53 Posts)
jeanie99 Sun 28-Jun-15 16:09:30

I am considering replacing my stainless kitchen sink but with the array of different types and materials it's hard to make the correct choice.
Once it is in it is in and will not be replaced so need to make a good choice.
I want to get away from the stainless one I have at present something different.
My daughter has a black sink but with the lime in the water where she lives it as made a mess of the sink. We also have lime in the water where we live so want a lighter coloured sink.
I know there are ceramic sinks but not sure about all the other materials that sinks are now made of and the sales people confuse me when I ask.

Advice please

Anya Sun 28-Jun-15 16:19:33

I have a Belfast sink and it's great.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-15 16:25:26

We have a Belfast sink and I love it because it's great for preparing lots of veg and for washing the dogs!!

The only downside is they are deeper than normal sinks so beware of backache.

janerowena Sun 28-Jun-15 16:34:14

I've moved so often that I have had just about every kind of sink going - and for ease of cleaning you can't beat a stainless steel sink. I have a beige composite type at the moment, it stains horribly easily.

I do have four Belfast sinks - all in my garden. grin Two of them are quite shallow, so do exist. I too would need that for my back, but I agree, they are wonderful and just as easy to clean as stainless steel. If a little more prone to cracked china. hmm

Anya Sun 28-Jun-15 16:56:53

Yes Merlot great for washing the dog grin

As far as cleaning I just leave it to soak in a bleach solution for an hour and it comes out as good as new.

Anya Sun 28-Jun-15 16:57:15

The sink...not the dog!

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-15 17:02:11

grin

Charleygirl Sun 28-Jun-15 17:03:55

jeanie88 I was discussing this with the plumber who seems to do a lot of work here and he would go for a stainless steel sink everytime. Easy to clean and maintain.

Br careful, some surfaces show every scratch and it is almost impossible to get rid of them. I cannot remember the name of the worst offender.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-15 17:10:39

Charleygirl, Do you realised you've lobbed ten years off jeanie's age?

ducks to avoid a clip round the ear grin

Charleygirl Sun 28-Jun-15 17:32:30

I did as I scrolled down, I am sure that she will be delighted!

My apologies jeanie99

J52 Sun 28-Jun-15 17:41:31

For years we had a white composite sink, Carron was the make. It was great and easily kept clean, then after about 20 years it started to discolour and constant bleaching made it worse. I suppose the finish wore off.

We now have a two deep bowl stainless one, which is great.

x

hildajenniJ Sun 28-Jun-15 17:58:35

Don't buy a ceramic sink. I have one which is 12 years old. It is scratched, and the bung they put into the spare tap hole is cracked and unsightly. I wish I'd never seen mine!

Greyduster Sun 28-Jun-15 19:16:08

I made a huge mistake when we put our new kitchen in last year. In our previous house I had a reconstituted granite sink in graphite grey and it was wonderful. Didn't stain or scratch, very hard wearing and modern looking. I wanted another, but couldn't decide about the colour. They had changed the colour range and none of the new colours seemed to go with my worktops. I got so fed up trying to make up my mind that in the end I opted for stainless steel. It is a Carron and I absolutely hate it. Although it has not been harshly treated, it already looks as if it's been in for years. You live and learn I suppose.

whenim64 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:28:06

I'm very happy with my Belfast sink - a quick spray and wipe of Flash with bleach and it's shining and free of stains. Nice and roomy - a few babies have been bathed in there whilst visiting. I've dropped a few things in it but not broken anything, other than crashing a couple of wine glasses together but that would have happened in any old sink. I've got a smaller one in my outhouse/potting shed and that hasn't suffered any scratches or chips despite being treated quite roughly over the years.

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-15 19:46:16

Oh yes! Cleaning up toddler DGCs in a Belfast sink when they've run in with muddy hands and knees is so much easier (and more economical) than running a bath and they can sit on the worktop so you don't have to strip them right off.

Happy Days!

ffinnochio Sun 28-Jun-15 19:47:27

I'm also v. happy with my deep Belfast sink. It came from a friends garden, laying unloved and puddly with mud. Of course it wasn't perfect, but as when says, a scrub around with a bit of bleach and it comes up beautifully. If I'd had room for a double sink, I would have gone for that option, but then wouldn't have had the history, which I rather like. smile

It's also v. robust.

granjura Sun 28-Jun-15 19:51:13

When we do the kitchen up (no new kitchen, far too expensive sad ) - we will have a new kitchen sink made out of local limestone- just like the one ripped off by the Vicar's wife to put a shiny stainless steel one in the 70s! Can't wait.

ninathenana Sun 28-Jun-15 19:54:36

Oh merlotgran that brought back memories. Mum would always sit me on the worktop for 'hands,face and knees' before a trip to town grin

merlotgran Sun 28-Jun-15 19:54:42

When our kids were small DH caught a large pike and I soaked it in brine in the Belfast sink to remove the slime. After a few hours he decided to instruct them in the art of gutting and filleting.....He'd had a few at the local!

There was a yelp of agony as it suddenly clamped its jaws around his hand and the kids ran out of the kitchen screaming.

My uncle, who was staying with us at the time, told them it had been lying doggo which confused them even more as it wasn't a dog and it was supposed to be dead! grin

Bez Sun 28-Jun-15 20:10:11

I quite fancy the double sink from Ikea which is like a double Belfast and has no draining board - my friend has one and it seems to be working well - I have a grey stone looking sink here which is some sort of composite and it gets terribly stained so have to resort to Ajax or bleach to make it look presentable. I have also had a French ceramic one which had a sort of sandy look to it - very practical and had two good sized sinks - hate those half sized sinks 'cos mine just got mucky and was little used when I did have one in the eighties.

J52 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:35:41

I like a deep double sink. One for washing and the other for draining, or preparing veg, while the other can be used for washing veg.

x

Coolgran65 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:46:03

I'd go for stainless steel every time, it cleans up so well.
Moved house and got a new kitchen 10 years ago and it's still like new.
The only think I miss is my double sink !!

annodomini Sun 28-Jun-15 21:04:49

Stainless steel for me. My DS and partner had one of those composite sinks and I never found out what colour it was really supposed to be, so badly did it stain.

annodomini Sun 28-Jun-15 21:05:45

My last sink had a wooden chopping board that neatly fitted over the top of the smaller one. Sadly, my small kitchen here doesn't allow for that.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Jun-15 21:28:40

Wow thanks so much for all the information.

It does seem the Belfast and stainless steel sinks are up there.
The Belfast though would not fit into my kitchen design and I am wanting something different from stainless.

So the composite stains so that is out of the window, but the granite and ceramic could be a consideration.

So I might start having a look at granite sinks unless someone tells me not to bother.

Oh by the way thanks for taking 11 yrs off my age much appreciated I feel great the old legs don't ache at all.