Gransnet forums

House and home

Astounding cleaning products

(145 Posts)
LuckyDucky Wed 04-Nov-15 07:22:12

To clean a lavatory? Pour in a can of coke cola around. Leave it for a few minutes. Result Sparkly clean grin

Precoat stove tops by using car wax. It's great to see a shine.

Oil spatters? 2 drops of mineral oil on kitchen tissue, wipe and yucky,
gloop comes right off grin

Anyone have a messy cleaning job and use a product not associated with cleaning?

Grannyknot Wed 04-Nov-15 07:39:39

Oh my word, I have to try the Coca-Cola tip!

All I can come up with, is a "spit bath" blush for cleaning little faces.

hildajenniJ Wed 04-Nov-15 08:01:58

I use toothpaste to clean silver jewellery, it makes my silver pendants and earrings sparkle. Bicarbonate of soda is good for all sorts of things too.

Alea Wed 04-Nov-15 08:15:38

We shall have to call you toilet duck. grin

(What is "mineral oil", somebody, please?)

J52 Wed 04-Nov-15 08:18:42

Diluted white distilled vinegar removes coffee/tea stains from carpets. It also descales shower heads.

x

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 08:48:44

Otherwise known as paraffin oil Alea

shysal Wed 04-Nov-15 08:59:20

For oil splashes on clothes. Dab with lighter fuel then wash as normal.

White spirit for sticky label residue.

Soda crystals, tin foil and boiling water for silver cleaning.

Sprinkling salt on a dropped egg makes it easier to sweep up.

For sugar burnt onto a pan, fill with hot water and bring to the boil which will dissolve it. Then wash as normal.

Anne58 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:32:41

The soda, tin foil & hot water does work a treat shysal especially on my fiddly candelabra, but boy does it STINK !!

Mamie Wed 04-Nov-15 10:39:26

When we were cleaning our old wooden floors we were advised to use Steradent. It works on loos too.

Katek Wed 04-Nov-15 11:30:45

Steradent for teapots and stained mugs, bicarb for stoves, vinegar for glass and fire ashes to clean inside glass doors of wood burners.

Maggiemaybe Wed 04-Nov-15 12:08:47

Yes, vinegar for glass, and dry off with crumpled newspaper for no streaks.

Charleygirl Wed 04-Nov-15 12:09:34

Any advice please for cleaning my Venetian blinds in the kitchen which are rather greasy? The other minor problem is that I have mega problems reaching them, hence their state!

Auntieflo Wed 04-Nov-15 12:27:55

Get rid

Anne58 Wed 04-Nov-15 12:28:50

Can go get someone to take them down for you? I soak mine in the bath in biological washing powder.

granjura Wed 04-Nov-15 12:33:30

J52, for the shower head, I have a narrow measure jug where I can just out the shower head in upside down- then cover with white vinegar and leave for a couple of hours- works great. We also have a small gadget which you can fill with vinegar and then clamp on taps and leave for a while- brilliant too.

Charleygirl Wed 04-Nov-15 12:36:52

phoenix I no longer have a bath, only a shower. They were taken down on Monday to allow new windows to be fitted but I could not even spend time in the kitchen cleaning them slat by slat because the fellows were in and out and wanted me out.

I need something other than net curtains at the window because I feel so exposed and can be seen from houses at the rear.

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 13:31:06

DH cleans our venetian blind in the garden laying it on plastic and using a broom and bucket of soapy water then hosing down. Obviously you need to choose your day smile

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 13:32:13

What about a roller blind Charleygirl

Charleygirl Wed 04-Nov-15 14:30:14

It would get just as greasy nina would it not? Stop cooking is my only option I think!

thatbags Wed 04-Nov-15 15:49:26

Hot water, soap and elbow grease.

Alea Wed 04-Nov-15 15:59:55

Thanks ninathenana I am assuming this might be American advice (reference to "stove top " too)
Would it be safe to use paraffin oil near oils splatters e.g. on a cooker or behind it, wouldn't be flammable ?(!)
I think coca cola would make quite an expensive loo cleaner when a quick squirt of toilet duck (or even cheaper bleach) does the job. I mean who has truly dirty loos among us??

thatbags Wed 04-Nov-15 16:11:33

I just use an e-cloth and the water in the bowl to clean the loo, then flush rinsing the cloth with the fresh water, as we used to do with nappies. We have soft water so there's no build up of limescale to deal with. Cloth gets another rinse in hot water and hung up to dry. It gets chucked in a hot machine wash frequently. Never had a hygiene problem with this method and the loo stays clean with this daily method.

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 16:22:09

Your right Charleygirl but rollers aren't such a faff to clean smile

KatyK Wed 04-Nov-15 16:27:42

Well, it's not a messy job but as I have put on another thread we had a while ago about household tips, toothpaste will bring chrome taps and anything chrome really up very shiny. Just plaster the taps with toothpaste, leave to dry and wash off. Works a treat. I will try it on jewellery hilda

LuckyDucky Wed 04-Nov-15 16:41:20

Good one Alea grin