Gransnet forums

House and home

Shutters versus curtains

(35 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 23-May-16 19:59:30

I don't mean the noise from outside. Sound waves bounce off hard shiny surfaces like glass and laminate/wood floors. This makes for an unpleasant atmosphere for us. I found out about this via my work with people with sensory sensitivities (ASD). I tried it at home and would never go back to rooms without soft furnishings to absorb sound waves. Much more relaxing atmosphere.

Lillie Mon 23-May-16 19:53:09

We have them inside and they look very classy and surprisingly modern. We can tilt them either way. They look especially good on our upstairs balcony doors.
The downside is that the slats need a lot of dusting, but we are in London.

Lazigirl Mon 23-May-16 19:50:13

Forgot to say. Curtains upstairs and I agree with CariGransnet.

Lazigirl Mon 23-May-16 19:48:30

We have wood blinds, no curtains, and also wood floors (with rugs). I love the extra light without curtains, but ours are painted slatted wooden blinds, not shutters, and we have double glazing so noise not an issue. Blinds can also be adjusted to prevent sun glare. We are fairly minimal in style and I know it wouldn't suit everyone but house is modern and well insulated, and OH has asthma, so it does keep dust down

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-May-16 19:40:23

Depends on the room - we have shutters in a downstairs room and I love them. But for bedrooms I like curtains to keep out the light - and they are somehow softer. A combo of the two across various rooms is good though and I would def do again

granjura Mon 23-May-16 19:17:17

We live in the countryside- the only noise is the distant sound of cow bells, and the odd tractor- and nobody can look in- as we have a large front garden- then a narrow field with no public access and the Church grounds.

yogagran Mon 23-May-16 18:59:13

That's something that I hadn't considered Jane10, we have hard floors at the moment and it doesn't seem to make much difference but going without curtains too might perhaps be a step too far

Jane10 Mon 23-May-16 18:50:35

Do you not miss curtains for the sound absorption? I really appreciate the sound deadening ability of fabric. I can't stand the echoey clattery noise without curtains especially if hard wood floors. Its curtains and carpets every time for me.

granjura Mon 23-May-16 18:46:04

We live in a very old house on the Swiss/FRench border and have outside shutters- and have decided not to have curtains to keep maximum light - love it.

yogagran Mon 23-May-16 18:39:51

We plan to move house later this year and I've been wondering if it might be practical to have window shutters (on the inside) instead of curtains in some of the rooms. Does anyone have any useful information or ideas?