Gransnet forums

House and home

Following on from the "softly softly" thread, a question for you.

(95 Posts)
phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 19:32:36

Evening all,

I noticed on the thread mentioned, that there were quite a few mentions of washing up.

I can be a bit pedantic (yes, really, who's have thought it!) about washing up, it has to be done in this order:

Glasses
Cutlery
Plates
Baking dishes/saucepans (these can be switched around, sometimes the saucepans are no prob, if they have just had peas, carrots etc, the baking dishes might have been used for lasagne etc, in which case they would go last.

Am I odd, or is this the way everyone does it?

Stansgran Wed 31-Aug-16 09:09:24

When I empty the dishwasher I put another tablet in straight away. I always feel it's the last straw at night so I pre empt. Some of my circulon frying pans are not dishwasher which makes me miserable.

EmilyHarburn Wed 31-Aug-16 10:37:29

Phoenix i was taught to wash up in the order you set out. Now thank goodness I have a dish washer.

My husband had a spell when he thought he would wash up as he thought that 2 people did not need a dish washer. He wanted to do it in one sitting, whereas I fill the dish washer throughout the day. The mugs stayed brown inside. He did not do saucepans if they were left on the stove.

If he forgot to do the washing up I promptly filled the dishwasher and now at last he is happy to let the dishwasher do its job.

NemosMum Wed 31-Aug-16 10:39:33

For my first Brownie badge, we went to Brown Owl's mum's house and did her washing up. We did it in the order Pheonix describes. I know I got a badge (I think it was 'home-maker' or some such other anti-feminist title), but I couldn't help feeling a bit let down that it wasn't the 'making a bonfire', or 'climbing a tree' badge.

Elaineclarice Wed 31-Aug-16 10:47:21

Hello Merlotgran - just to say we really enjoyed your message about the dishwasher and DH's favourite mug! It could have been our house! Do you find if DH puts the dishwasher on its always on the coolest wash? Elaine

Witzend Wed 31-Aug-16 10:47:41

Merlot, our dog would love licking anything she could get at in the dishwasher, and she was a brilliant pre-cleaner of anything like roasting tins - would stick at it for 20 minutes, holding it down with one paw in case it tried to escape - until not a molecule of anything tasty was left.
Who needs Brillo pads when you've got a dog?
She was especially fond of any saucepan I'd made cheese sauce in, and as for a fish pie dish - heaven!

Should add that all these always went in the dishwasher afterwards!

loopylou Wed 31-Aug-16 10:49:53

I'm a total dishwasher fan, DH still isn't ? so he'll hand wash and leave a bowl of festering water 'for anything else'.
I've had my dishwasher for a few months now, anyone know how long it takes to train a less than D at times H to use one?

hulahoop Wed 31-Aug-16 10:51:22

I do same as Phoenix don't want dishwasher washing up is relaxing

cloverpark Wed 31-Aug-16 10:51:38

I do mine by hand in exactly the same order as you Phoenix. I can remember writing the order down in my exercise book as instructed by Mrs Reid, our Home Economics Teacher at Ware Grammar School in the late 1950s!

gulligranny Wed 31-Aug-16 10:52:46

Mostly we use the dishwasher - only since moving to this house 6 years ago have I had one and I'm still in love with it. I fill it, DH empties it.

Referring to an up-thread post, we call each other darling too.

Witzend, "Merlot" is such a great name for a dog!

Wurzelernie Wed 31-Aug-16 10:52:49

I would do the same, Merlotgran. But my dishwasher has decided to pack up on me so I'm back to washing up in the sink. But I leave things to drain and dry - my daughter once told me there are more germs on a teatowel than one could dream of, which is quite true, Im sure, but it saves me all the drying!

floorflock Wed 31-Aug-16 10:53:30

I believe it was the way we were taught at school in Home Ec classes. In this order (that you mentioned) because of the dirtyness issues. Can you imagine washing up glasses in the muky water after everything else has been done? No, exactly. Thia is also why most men do the drying up - they don't know the correct order for washing. (ha, ha - who have I upset now?)

michellehargreaves Wed 31-Aug-16 10:54:19

We have a dishwasher, and it has to be said that Mr H does quite a lot (most ☺) of the stacking/putting away, but he WILL insist on flinging in delicate glasses which then end up with chipped edges. I swear he is "the old dog" that can't learn new tricks, no matter how often I point out (nag)this to him, he does it again the very next time. Quite a balancing act for me, do i really want to do it myself, or do i want perfect glasses?

Mumsyface Wed 31-Aug-16 10:56:56

I have some misgivings when I see dogs in pubs licking the plates.......

MaizieD Wed 31-Aug-16 11:01:31

We have a dishwasher so I rarely wash up but if I do have to it's cutlery into the bowl while it's filling, glasses, if there are any, are washed before the cutlery coes out, then Phoenix's order.

But usually everything goes in the dishwasher except for saucepans if there's no space for them. The only thing that's a real no no is crockery with any sort of metallic trim (not that I have much of that, just a couple of old big oval meat dishes which are rarely used). I have a number of very old glasses, either passed down from parents and grandparents or bought from junk stalls (I can't resist old glasses); I have no qualms about putting them in the dishwasher and have never had any problems with them.

I love my dishwasher, it did away with a huge bone of contention as my DP wouldn't wash up the dishes from our evening meal (main meal of the day) until the following morning and I hated seeing dirty dishes stacked up; I like to see my kitchen clean and clear last thing at night.

MaizieD Wed 31-Aug-16 11:02:13

I knew I should have proof read! comes

Grandelly54 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:02:25

Gotta say that my nan who was in service, taught me the same as you do your washing up, always glasses first, then cutlery etc.etc. However, I have had a dishwasher for a great many years and although a lot of the washing up is done in it, if I go to people's houses for dinner and they don't have a dishwasher then that is exactly the way I wash up. Also just as a throw in when I do my shopping at the supermarket, at the checkout things have to be packed in the bags in a certain order. smile

mrshat Wed 31-Aug-16 11:04:24

Same order as you Phoenix - that is when not using dishwasher!! Must have been how we were taught as young girls!!!!! grin

Lilyflower Wed 31-Aug-16 11:10:59

phoenix, that is pretty much the way my mother taught me to wash up though she used to throw all the cultlery in to the bottom of the bowl first where it woud soak as everything alse was washed and hardly needed so much as a rub at the end.

Nowadays I soak difficult things like lasagne dished with baked on food overnight and place the whole lot in the dishwasher. We also have a new rule for wine, beer or spirit glasses. They always get left on the side overnight as we have broken too many trying to clean them 'a drop taken' as the Irish say. That is pretty disgraceful of us, I know, but it keeps the lovelier glasses intact. The others go straight in Mr Dishywasher.

Bez1989 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:16:05

LOVE IT MERLOT....Sounds like us too !!

Lupin Wed 31-Aug-16 11:16:58

Domestic Science lessons at school (do they have those now?) and my Granny taught me to do it in the same order as Pheonix.
Having recently moved to an apartment I so miss my previous one and a half bowl sink, and I don't have room for a dish washer.
I'm at least going to change the sink...soon! I do like to rinse.

RAZZLEDAZZLE Wed 31-Aug-16 11:19:33

I was taught to do it this way at school, many years ago!

lilihu Wed 31-Aug-16 11:22:47

Just the 2 of us, so a 3/4 size dishwasher is perfect. Everything that fits in goes in. Mugs get rinsed out several times during the day, then go in before the wash to get a thorough cleaning. When we replaced dinner sets etc a few years back, we bought 2 sets so there are always plenty of spares in the cupboard.
When my friend bought one many many years back, I thought they were an expensive extravagance. When we had our kitchen redesigned and a dishwasher included, I doubted I would use it. I couldn't have been more wrong. Would never want to be without a dishwasher now.

Lewlew Wed 31-Aug-16 11:27:36

My dishwasher is a 74 year old Welsh DH grin

We've lived in a flat the last 16 years and I won't sacrifice cupboard space for a DW. Before that, we had them in our two US homes, but used them only when we had company.

He's washed up all our 25 years as it's only us two. I don't know what order or how he does it, except I always have to do the glassware again, as he doesn't get them clean enough to suit. I put a spot of bleach in my glassware water and they look as good as having come out of a DW. Our water is very very hard and limescale-y.

Oh, but I did have to train him up when we married. He was doing that Brit thing of leaving the Fairy suds on the dishes in the drying rack. You have to rinse it off...ewww... it tastes horrid. I don't hear of that much nowadays, must have been an 80s-90s thing?

majorcagirl Wed 31-Aug-16 11:32:54

I also have a dishwasher. Its called a husband!!!!!

Emelle19 Wed 31-Aug-16 11:35:25

Phoenix - you must be my twin!! I do all that you do. And yes, our recycling bin is as clean as the day it arrived because everything going in there has been washed up properly.