Gransnet forums

House and home

Induction Hobs?

(70 Posts)
Willow500 Sat 24-Sep-16 06:15:34

Does anyone have one of these and can they be recommended? We've decided to remodel the kitchen and this was a suggestion of one of the kitchen planners which I'd not thought of before. Some reviews I've read seem to suggest they're noisy and don't heat 4 pans up at the same time very well. I know you have to have compatible pans which I believe mine are but I'm not sure if we should just go back to a halogen hob which we had before the current gas one. Any thoughts please?

monkeebeat Sun 25-Sep-16 09:33:44

DD DS DH - please let me know what these stand for.

moobox Sun 25-Sep-16 09:46:38

They are fine, as long as you read the base of the pans you buy

Elegran Sun 25-Sep-16 09:47:16

D for daughter, S for son, H for husband. The D in front is for whatever word beginning with D applies - Dear, Damned, dotty.
The "Acronyms" button at the right of the blue strip about the popsts has a list of these and more (don't use them unless you want to, but they are useful to cut down on typing)

pennturner Sun 25-Sep-16 09:50:45

Hi, I use a rayburn solid fuel stove in the winter and an induction hob in the summer. I love the control of the induction cooker and the ease of cleaning after use, it is far better than our previous electric hob, even for stir frying. Pans can be shaken as the rings dont turn off immediately pans are removed only after ten seconds or so on my hob anyway.

annygee Sun 25-Sep-16 10:06:47

Together with the induction hob (10 years ago!), we bought a separate induction wok (Electrolux) - comes complete with pan and we use it whenever we need a big pan, i.e. to cook pasta, a large risotto besides the obvious stir-fry. The heat gets distributed around the pan from the bottom to a fair way up the pan. Fabulous also to just quickly re-heat small portions of anything. Wouldn't be without it, even though it was DH's idea and at the time I thought - oh well, let him have his gadget - but never thought I'd appreciate it as much as he does. Induction: yes, yes, yes and yes again!

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 10:09:13

I have a Prestige stainless steel pressure cooker that works perfectly well with my induction hob hummingbird. Apart from a stainless steel stock pot that only comes out at Christmas, it is the only one if my existing pans I managed to retain.

missdeke Sun 25-Sep-16 11:23:04

I have an induction hob, after years of cooking on gas I moved to a village with no gas supply and after occasionally using other types of electric hobs I decided to go for induction. I am more than happy with it , so easy to keep clean and I don't understand the remarks about losing the heat when you take the pan off, it comes straight back when you put the pan down again. I thought that switch off of immediate heat was a safety feature ..... Maybe I am just being thick.

hicaz46 Sun 25-Sep-16 11:43:58

Yes I'd recommend an induction, fabulously easy to use and great control over temperatures. Can simmer on a really low temperature and can even melt chocolate. Bonus is no messy outsides of pans and handles don't get hot. Plus so easy to keep clean

Ramblingrose22 Sun 25-Sep-16 11:44:08

I've got a silly question. It applies to ceramic hobs as well.

If the hob has a completely smooth surface without raised burners on which the pans sit, does it get scratched if you have to move the pan out of the way to a different burner that is switched off?

I worry about this because I don't think the bottoms of my pans are completely smooth.

yogagran Sun 25-Sep-16 11:52:13

There was an earlier thread on this subject, if you put "Induction hob" into the search box over there to the right you'll find it started on 17th April this year.

I changed to an induction hob after a lifetime of using gas. No regrets whatsoever, it's fast, clean and very controllable

Glosgran Sun 25-Sep-16 11:54:56

Yes, definitely go for it. You certainly won't be disappointed. We refitted our kitchen last November and when looking in showrooms I began to tell them that I wanted a double oven and a gas hob. The first planner was a lady in her 50s and she asked, 'Why do you want a gas hob?' I explained that gas is easy to control and heats up quickly and when turned off heat dissipates quickly too. She asked me if I'd ever used an induction hob and the only one I'd tried was to heat some soup in a church hall and I wasn't impressed. I told her this and she asked if the hob had been wired in or whether it was plugged into a 13 amp socket. This is the reason that some of them do not heat up 4 pans at one time as the power is shared between the 4 zones when plugged into an ordinary socket. She explained that as long as it's wired into a 30 amp cooker socket then there's no problem. I have the AEG hob and it is excellent. I can have the 4 zones on full power at the same time as it's wired in with a cooker cable. If you've been using gas and do not have a cooker cable installed and don't want to change any of the electrics in the kitchen then maybe this type of induction hob would not an option for you.

Here are some of the benefits I've found. It looks very smart and is sleek, set flush with the worktop. It's very clean to use and very easy to clean if something boils over. The lady in the showroom explained that when she's frying something, she puts kitchen paper over the hob and the pan on top of the paper. The paper won't burn as it works by magnetism and when she's finished the paper goes straight in the bin, one quick wipe over with a damp microfibre cloth and it's pristine again. It will heat water as fast, if not a little faster than an electric kettle. I experimented to try it out, putting the same amount of water in a saucepan as I put in the kettle and switching both on simultaneously. It is amazingly fast and as soon as you turn the heat down it reduces to a simmer very quickly and is definitely even more controllable than gas as it's easier to control with the variable settings from 1 -14, plus there's a further high power option for very fast heat up to begin with. It even has an automatic setting so you can set the temperature you want to cook with but start it off on high power. This setting then automatically adjusts the heat after the high power heat up. It has a child lock and if the phone rings or there's someone at the door when you have everything boiling away then you just touch an area on the glass and it will go into 'keep hot' mode until you touch it again. This is the best appliance I have in my kitchen and I will never regret it. I'm not sure why people think it's noisy. On a very high power setting there is a little bit of a buzz but there is no noise at lower temperatures. There is no need to heat it up first before you cook and if you switch it on and forget to put the pan on it will bleep to let you know and then switch itself off automatically if you do not put anything on top. As far as pans is concerned, I didn't need to change my pans as I already had Meyer saucepans. The way to test if your pans will work is to put a magnet on the bottom of the pan. If the magnet is attracted to the surface then the pan will work and if it falls off then it won't. You cannot use copper bottom pans on an induction hob. Most of the showrooms had hobs they used for a demonstration. We have a very helpful electrical retailer in our area who were excellent at explaining, demonstrating andanswering my questions. It was a big expense and I was worried about making a mistake but I am very, very pleased with it.

grannyscott Sun 25-Sep-16 12:02:35

I have just bought my second induction hob as when we moved house there was a gas hob! Ugh! Keeping it clean was a pain. I bought another Neff induction hob & it's fantastic. Apart from the ease of cleaning it heats so fast on the power setting. I recommend you get one where you can either have 4 separate hobs or on each side the two blend into one big hob. So useful. Just make sure out use the correct pans-if a magnet sticks to their base they are ok.

grandMattie Sun 25-Sep-16 12:11:35

I had a ceramic hob before we moved to this house, which has an induction hob.

I hate my induction hob as i can't use any of my old pans [aluminium] and had to buy some very expensive ferrous pans. My hob "screams" at me if i use anything else...

I like the flat surface, but the ceramic hob did that perfectly, it was quiet too.

the only advantage of the induction in my eyes is the boost button, or turbo as I call it.

Whitehair123 Sun 25-Sep-16 12:48:08

Can best be summed up as a b****y nightmare.

Need the right pans, need the right size base or hob cuts off the power, need to keep the pan flat on the hob at all times, can't tilt the pan for basting etc. Yes they heat up quickly, no match for gas though which is supposed to be the comparison.

All in all if I ever have another kitchen I wouldn't repeat an induction hob. Only plus is it looks very neat, but if you want functionality, don't bother.

As you can tell, I am not a fan!

Bez1989 Sun 25-Sep-16 13:14:18

I have an Induction hob. Ideal for steaming veggies....get the heat right then set timer and sit with my Martini Soda until buzzer sounds. I cut veggies into small equal sizes and a bit of experimentation waa needed to get heat and time correct. Now that's been done....my hubby enjoys using it as it conforms with his engineering mind set !!

Bez1989 Sun 25-Sep-16 13:15:59

P S. .....YESSSS.....so easy to keep clean !!sunshine

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 14:17:42

With all due respect, Whitehair, I can't understand why you can't tilt your pans for basting. I do it all the time when I'm frying eggs, or cooking omelettes without the ring cutting out, and my pans work perfectly well on any of the rings despite the pan being smaller. The only one that doesn't is a dodgy ceramic omelette pan that DH bought from the kitchenware equivalent of a quack medicine doctor in Bakewell market! It will only work in one ring, but I hardly ever use it anyway. It needn't cost a fortune to replace your pans. I bought some very decent ones from Sainsburys for not a lot of money, before I found out that I was getting a set free with the hob! But you can't have too many smile.

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 14:22:00

Willow do you know anyone that has one you could see working, or a John Lewis that might have a working model?

marionk Sun 25-Sep-16 14:35:01

Love mine, easy to control and easy to clean, for some reason not so great when I want to make jam but that's not a great set back

Skullduggery Sun 25-Sep-16 14:40:09

What's the problem you have with making jam, marionk?

I make jam and have just finished a batch of spicy yellow tomato chutney yesterday. I think it's great for quick boiling then turning down to a slow simmer without the risk of it spilling over.

westieyaya Sun 25-Sep-16 16:32:03

Induction hobs are very limiting if you love cooking, it's impossible to tilt pans off the heat to toss food around. As been said before, you cannot run all four rings at full heat. They sometimes burn the special saucepans, the non stick lining of my milk pan has bubbled. On the plus side, they do heat up very quickly.

auntybee Sun 25-Sep-16 16:34:59

Totally agree! So, so easy to keep clean, with lots of safety aspects too. I went from traditional 'country house' style kitchen with gas Rangemaster to totally revamped cream gloss/sleek kitchen with quartz worktop and an induction hob/double oven. A slight minus was having to buy (expensive) new pans - and I ended up replacing my 10 years old stellar pans which looked like new, with the exact same pans (but induction-friendly!).

Despite my initial dithering (no-one I knew had gone 'induction') I love it and can't recommend it enough!!! Be brave and jump!!!!

Itsnanny68 Sun 25-Sep-16 16:37:45

I recently bought a cooker with induction hobs, its brilliant would recommend, especially because you can get instant heat, and treat it like you would a gas hob

grandMattie Sun 25-Sep-16 16:53:44

I think a lot of you have confused the induction hob with a flat ceramic hob. Love the latter, loathe the former...

SueDonim Sun 25-Sep-16 17:12:03

I've never had any of the problems mentioned here. My hob is a Bosch and copes well with anything I ask of it esp at Christmas with multiple pans on the go.

I'd say it even encourages me to cook more because it's so easy to clean!