Gransnet forums

House and home

Induction Hobs?

(70 Posts)
Willow500 Sat 24-Sep-16 06:15:34

Does anyone have one of these and can they be recommended? We've decided to remodel the kitchen and this was a suggestion of one of the kitchen planners which I'd not thought of before. Some reviews I've read seem to suggest they're noisy and don't heat 4 pans up at the same time very well. I know you have to have compatible pans which I believe mine are but I'm not sure if we should just go back to a halogen hob which we had before the current gas one. Any thoughts please?

GrammaH Sun 25-Sep-16 17:14:32

No mains gas here & wouldn't fancy canisters so chose induction hob for speed. No need for new pans as already had le creuset although my dear old pressure cooker pan, used exclusively for the Christmas smoked salmon soup & making jam, is no good. Love the speed & cleanliness of it, don't have any problems basting & DD makes splendid jam on it though I burnt the last lot I tried...I'm not a great cook. Just don't get one if you have a pacemaker. Great replacement for the old ceramic hob, big improvement

gillybob Sun 25-Sep-16 17:22:15

I definitely haven't confused the two grandMattie. My son loves cooking and can't wait to get rid of his induction and go back to a gas hob. As I said earlier I have a small portable induction that we use as a top up but only for boiling/simmering veg, pasta etc. which is excellent .

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 17:22:45

I accidentally locked my induction hob one Christmas day and couldn't find the instructions book to unlock it! I had only had it a few weeks and was still keeping it at arms length to some extent. I rang my son in a panic because the dinner was due to go on. He told me how to do it and then said "mother, calm down. It's just a hob - you don't need a whip and a chair, for Gods sake!! Go and have a sherry!" smile

SueDonim Sun 25-Sep-16 17:57:17

Greyduster my dh has managed to do that twice! It took us a-a-ages to figure out how to unlock it because the instructions aren't at all clear. A button needs to held down but doesn't state that in the step by step bit.

Candelle Sun 25-Sep-16 18:29:31

As most posters have said, don't hesitate, go and buy one.

We have had a Neff 900mm wide induction hob for seven years and I just love it. Why? It heats up water for vegetables, for example, faster than the kettle, is SO easy to clean (no scrubbing necessary as with my previous gas hob) and is so responsive. Heat up or down, simple - it is as responsive as a gas hob but without the mess.

I continued to use the stainless steel pans (about twenty years old) so didn't need new but even if you do (test by putting a magnet on your pans. If it sticks, they're fine for the induction hob) the cost of a good set of pans is negligible over the long-term.

As to whether one can use all four hobs at the same time, well, I have five and I have had no problems (perhaps, those with problems simply have a duff hob?).

The only minor problem I have had is making jam whereby my large maslin pan won't heat up to 105 degrees - right for jam. It will only go to 100. This is easily surmounted by just boiling for a few minutes longer.

The ease of, for instance, melting chocolate without faffing about with a double-boiler etc., and general 'controlability' makes an induction hob with every penny - and then some. I would not change it for anything. Well, OK, perhaps a million or two pounds.... AND a cleaner!

Claudiaclaws Sun 25-Sep-16 20:44:14

Hi Hummingbird, I have a 5 ring gas hob at the moment. I would love an induction hob, please can you tell me the maker of yours.

Candelle Sun 25-Sep-16 23:03:01

or even 'worth every penny'!

hummingbird Wed 28-Sep-16 12:07:21

Hi Claudiaclaws! Sorry for the delay - only just noticed your question! Mine's by Neff. I also have two 'slide and hide' ovens too. Completely delighted with it ?

Nansypansy Sat 22-Oct-16 10:45:01

I bought a new cooker with an induction hob a year ago and I love it! If there's any criticism it is that if you put a smaller pan on a larger ring it doesn't seem to work (unless I'm doing something wrong!)

Redsmudgy Sun 23-Oct-16 11:03:41

I moved house two years ago and the cooker had an induction hob. I had to go out and get new saucepans as only certain saucepans work on these hobs. The main problem for me is that if the saucepan boils over and any water gets on the hob it will automatically turn off. I will be sitting waiting for my potatoes to cook and not realise they are not cooking. I know this can also happen with gas if a lot of water gets boiled over but not just a few splashes. A gas hob for me every time.

whitewave Sun 23-Oct-16 11:05:42

Having mine installed this week!!!! Plus slide and hide

Willow500 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:42:01

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. Happy to say the kitchen is ordered with a wired in induction hob which I think is AEG and due to be fitted at the beginning of Dec so I can't wait. Having lost my sense of smell the gas hob we have is a constant worry as it's failed to light a couple of times and I haven't known until my husband has said he can smell gas! I have tested my newest set of pans and they will work but the comment about the pressure cooker has made me realise my very old one will have to go. Next job is still to find a built in microwave - my current combination oven/microwave is too big and they all seem to be the same so it looks like it's going to be a simple ding version smile

whitewave Sun 23-Oct-16 18:50:20

Mines going to be an AEG and just a pingy nothing fancy. I did dither about a combi one but two things made up my mind - primarily price - kitchens are hellishly expensive and second I can't think when I'd use it.

Willow500 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:24:14

Whitewave I think that's probably the route I'll go down - most of the time I just reheat or cook frozen veg in it anyway and I have a halogen oven which I will still be using so just need to bite the bullet and get a basic one ordered!

whitewave Sun 23-Oct-16 19:46:14

I've spent all weekend clearing the kitchen and throwing out of date stuff away blush I clearly need to have a new kitchen yearly grin

Willow500 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:50:31

grin

Frannytoo Sun 11-Dec-16 09:49:19

I have had mine for a year. It took time to get used to it but it is so safe and easy to clean. I can also programme one ring to cook for up to 90 minutes which is wonderful. I can leave something like a boeuf bourguignon to simmer ever so gently and know it will switch off.
I would never return to gas or a plain electric hob. Mine is an Electrolux.

Christinefrance Sun 11-Dec-16 15:14:40

No, don't like it at all. My husband is a chef and the hob drives him to distraction at times. Heating problems and trying to use 4 rings at the same time is often a problem. Back to a good old fashioned range for us.

vikaspaul Fri 16-Jun-17 22:38:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.