Gransnet forums

House and home

Light Bulbs- sounds boring but......

(19 Posts)
oldgoose Sun 25-Sep-16 19:13:10

Does anyone else think that light bulbs are now very confusing? It was once very easy, the lower the number the lower the wattage and you either had screw or bayonet fittings. That was it.
I also used to buy lovely coloured bulbs, a soft peach for my lounge and a soft pink for my daughter's bedroom.
Then along came those ugly energy saving things but I grew to like them. Now you can't seem to find them and all bulbs are LED (??) They are all very clear and no nice soft colours to choose from. Or am I shopping in the wrong place?

tanith Sun 25-Sep-16 19:16:16

You can buy colour changing LED lights not sure about individual colour bulbs though. Ebay and Amazon do them I believe.

Alima Sun 25-Sep-16 19:36:32

I agree oldgoose, the style, wattage, colour (or lack of), all very confusing. Bring back our old dependable bulbs I say. We find much of the world confusing nowadays. Years ago you bought a pillow, it worked, supported your head whilst sleeping, didn't need a huge choice to confuse matters. Nowadays there is such a huge choice of pillows it can take many wrong purchases before finding one that does the job.

Linsco56 Sun 25-Sep-16 19:50:07

You can buy LED in warm white and ice white. The ice white is rather clinical and cold, so we buy warm white...haven't seen them in pastel colours though. DH buys them from his favourite shop, Screwfix.

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 19:57:31

I buy mine from Asda, warm white and whichever number of lumens matches up to the wattage I need.

The LED bulbs are much better than those awful chunky things that took a while to get going and gave rather a cold light.

Anniebach Sun 25-Sep-16 20:28:18

I don't want coloured bulbs, what I do want, REALY WANT, is to buy 40W. 60W. 100W. 150W , fed up of having to find out what 7W and 11W is the equivalent of

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 20:35:00

Well it usually tells you on the outside of the pack.

The one I'm looking at says '5w (traditional 30w)', which I know isn't quite right, we really want the old 40w, but I haven't found a problem with them.

Anniebach Sun 25-Sep-16 20:41:24

Yes it does but not much use if one cannot read it clearly ,

SueDonim Sun 25-Sep-16 20:41:36

We never seem to have the correct replacement to hand when a bulb goes, despite having a drawer full of different fittings and wattages, which is now overflowing into a second drawer. Oh for the days when a 40/60/100 watt bulb covered all eventualities! grin

tanith Sun 25-Sep-16 20:58:37

We replaced all our bulbs last year with LEDs but we don't need to keep many spares as they last far longer, years in fact so you shouldn't need to change them for a long time.. They do light up instantly unlike energy saving bulbs and we've noticed our electricity use has gone down since we installed them.

TriciaF Sun 25-Sep-16 21:02:15

Husband bought a whole lot of those LED bulbs, because they were cheap.
I don't like them at all, they give a really cold bluish light, everything looks ill.

Charleygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 21:03:12

A few months ago I found an old fashioned red bulb in a cupboard but decided to get rid of it as people may think that I am setting up a knocking shop here!

Most of my bulbs will last for 10 years, some may see me out but I agree, it is very confusing.

Ana Sun 25-Sep-16 21:04:10

Cheap? I pay about a fiver each for mine, although as tanith says, they last for ages.

numberplease Sun 25-Sep-16 23:54:59

We bought a ceiling fan with triple lights on it, on line, when it came the "bulbs" were tiny little things that don`t even look like light bulbs, they`re less than an inch long, cost a lot, and don`t last very long at all. Bring back PROPER bulbs!

M0nica Mon 26-Sep-16 20:04:25

TriciaF LED (Light Emitting Diode) bulbs come in warm white as wellas that cold blue light. I accidentally bought the wrong kind and ending up having to freegle the ice white ones when we bought the warm white ones.

Irma Mon 26-Sep-16 20:22:03

You can still buy old fashioned bulbs on the internet, I don't like these new ones, turn them on and wait for them, why?

Charleygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 20:26:40

I have problems changing bulbs as I am no longer nimble on my feet re ladders so I am more than happy to have a 10 year gap between changing some!

grannypiper Sat 08-Oct-16 11:11:24

I just want a light that comes on straight away without any delay

Ana Sat 08-Oct-16 11:25:03

The LED bulbs do come on straight away.

And they last so much longer than the old ones.