Gransnet forums

House and home

Autumn cleaning!!

(21 Posts)
DaphneBroon Fri 28-Oct-16 13:58:15

Is this a throwback to preparations for hibernation?
I find myself giving in to this urge to clean out dark, dusty cupboards, defrost the freezer, explore the permafrost which is at the back of the fridge and I might even venture into the loft shock
I have just emptied out a large bread crock (Habitat circa 1970 something) in which I keep packets of dried goods -unearthing 5 assorted SR flour bags, 2(only!!) of plain flour, couscous, Pearl barley, assorted sugars, packets of walnuts, bread mix, pasta and rice(both colours plus one of arborio)
Most of it well past it's sell-by.
Time to sit down with a brew before it gets out of hand.
What triggers your inner "Aggie"?

wot Fri 28-Oct-16 14:01:46

Same as you, Daphne plus Springtime!

Charleygirl Fri 28-Oct-16 14:08:22

Daphne are you feeling okay? Maybe take Grace for a walk and this feeling will pass! You are supposed to be resting today.

ninathenana Fri 28-Oct-16 15:30:33

Can someone who has this urge come and visit me please

TriciaF Fri 28-Oct-16 16:13:42

We had a good cleanout of some cupboards the last few days, but it was to try and deter mice. Because we live out in the country, they always try to come into the house at this time of year. Currently they're harvesting soya from the field surrounding our house, and that leads to more mice. And they make a smelly mess!
Husband spent ages trying to block off some holes in a floor-level cupoboard yesterday - I daren't tell him I saw a mouse emerge from there this morning.
We did reorganise all the stuff in there though, and threw a lot out, old papers of different kinds mainly.

ninathenana Fri 28-Oct-16 16:45:14

Mice can squeeze through a hole the same diameter as a pencil shock
I heard that on a TV program, find it hard to believe though.

goldengirl Fri 28-Oct-16 16:46:51

Hear! Hear!*ninathenana*. Life's too short to wield a duster let alone a mushroom though I have to admit I'd love a beautifully tidy, vac'd and dusted home. But with voluntary campaigning work taking over my life + 7 grandchildren and their toys + 2 cats [one who's always on the hunt for food in spite of being fed twice a day] + an untidy DH what hope is there! Friends have said how 'homely' my place is which is a euphemism if ever there was one. At times I admit to being ashamed of i;t at others I couldn't give a ......confused

Anya Fri 28-Oct-16 16:47:46

I've cleaned the house top to bottom and had a very liberating throw-out of clothes I've not worn this summer. Now looking at DH and wondering if the charity shop.would take him too

Where do you live nina and do you have a spare room? (Before I give in to that urge)

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:56:35

Well, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:57:46

Homely, yes, that's a good word

LadyGracie Fri 28-Oct-16 17:02:57

When I retired I planned to do my housework religiously every week, however, my housework gene has disappeared, I did more when I worked full time, I now vacuum maybe once a week and dust every two, I've turned into a lazy trollop, I love to knit, read, garden, sew, go to pottery and glass classes. I wash, iron and cook, nothing too fancy, no convenience food unless we fancy the odd pizza! I've been retired 3 years and love it!

carerof123 Fri 28-Oct-16 17:09:50

LadyGrace i am with you entirely, life is too short to worry about cobwebs!!!! lol

DanniRae Fri 28-Oct-16 17:11:14

I find if you keep the place reasonably tidy you can get away with not vacuuming or dusting too often. Well that's my theory and I am sticking to it! grin

LadyGracie Fri 28-Oct-16 18:50:04

I agree careof123 and DanniRae, spiders have as much right to be here as us and they need houses, yes keep it tidy, you can hide a multitude of sins grin

Anniebach Fri 28-Oct-16 19:41:26

Autumn cleaning ? I don't even bother with spring cleaning

kittylester Fri 28-Oct-16 19:47:17

Personally, DB, I think you need to lie down in a darkened room! grin

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 20:43:21

You can have the urge DB but it doesn't mean you have to do anything about it grin

Sit down, have a brew and you'll get over it

AlieOxon Fri 28-Oct-16 21:16:55

I've definitely got into a decluttering mode this autumn.

Trouble is you have to untidy the house to do this. so - when I decided to get my house valued again (the derelict house next door having been revamped)I got an appointment not having looked at the state of my house.

Then I looked at it. And put the appointment off for a fortnight. This really set me off on a roll of clearing up, and I'm still in it! The man's coming on Monday - help!

aggie Fri 28-Oct-16 21:40:08

even though I am Aggie on here I ain't doin this !

Pippa000 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:17:44

We have just returned to Cyprus after three months in Wales. I did a complete spring clean before we left (I am a great believer in leaving the house as perfect as possible in case anything happens to us and someone has to come in to clear it, another discussion possibly?) but the dust has to be seen to be believed. Cyprus has had no rain since we have been away to everything is covered. I have flicked a duster round, and am trying to summons the energy to do more

paddyann Sun 20-Nov-16 20:32:51

its just before New Year thats traditional here,with a massive clean on Hogmanay ,so we start the year cleansed I suppose ,then its not too bad for its springclean,I am often found cleaning windows at 11.30 on Hogmanay ,a last polish of the door handle and letterbox so the first foot doesn't realise I dont really LIKE housework and isn't scared to cross the threshhold