Gransnet forums

House and home

Energy Comparison websites

(5 Posts)
M0nica Thu 24-Nov-16 21:35:14

It is that time of year, our current energy tariff is about to end and we are looking for a new one. I have been looking on the comparison websites but have got increasingly irritated by how they work.

1) All their price comparisons are from the standard variable tariff. So the site says Savings: £298, for the cheapest supplier, but that isn't so, I am not on the standard variable tariff and do not intend to go on it, so any savings I make will be considerably less than their headline figure. Why can they not simply say 'Cheapest tariff available' and leave it at that.

2) Most sites ask for your current tariff, but then some do not list it in their drop down menu and give you no way of saying the tariff isn't on the list, which means guessing as to what the most comparable tariff probably is or logging out and going to another site

3) I pay for energy by quarterly direct debit. On one site I accidentally clicked on the wrong payment method and then found the site would not let me change it, even when I logged out and tried to come back to it sometime later.

4) Even though I say I am on quarterly direct debit and say I want to stay on it, all the quotes I get are for monthly direct debit, and so the comparison figures are not comparable with my current payment anyway.

After looking at about six comparison websites I have managed to single down one supplier and two tariffs that are likely to be the most economical for us to use and will talk it through with DH before we make a decision.

But it has taken me all evening to do, with much unnecessary irritation. How can people be expected to use these sites and find the best deals, if the comparison sites themselves are so opaque?

tanith Thu 24-Nov-16 21:41:15

Did you know that some tariffs are exclusive to certain comparison websites? They are not all shown.

Tizliz Thu 24-Nov-16 21:59:42

It is so difficult to compare new tariffs to what you are currently on as the standard charge is so different

M0nica Thu 24-Nov-16 22:20:16

I think the reason they ask what your current tariff is, is so that differences in standing charges can be taken into account, but since all the reductions are then quoted from standard variable tariff anyway it seems pointless asking.

I kept being told I could save £250 plus if I switched to the best of the tariffs offered, but when I compare the annual cost of any of the new tariffs with what I am actually paying rather than what I would pay if I didn't move, it is pretty clear that which ever new tariff we choose there will be very little real saving and in fact we will probably be paying more for our energy next year rather than less.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-16 14:18:37

After consideration and remembering what a hassle changing suppliers was last year I have signed up again with my current supplier on their current new comparable tariff (not the standard variable rate)

The comparison sites listed them as the second cheapest supplier, the difference between first and second was tens of £s on the websites contrived comparison basis and the whole thing is now done and dusted for the next year.