Gransnet forums

House and home

Costco

(7 Posts)
DaphneBroon Sat 26-Nov-16 23:12:22

I hear of so many people getting terrific bargains at Costco and have in the past got friends to get the odd thing for me. Anyway I decided to see for myself and still can't decide if it is fantastic value, or a great big con!
Good value were "Turtle" mat-type runners for the kitchen as poor Gracie has difficulty keeping her feet on the tiled floor and certainly can't get up, but I have my doubts about the platter of English cheeses at £10 ish, comprising an indifferent cheddar, a white Stilton with ginger and mango pieces (eugh) a piece of Red Leicester, another cheddar I haven't opened yet and a piece of Cropwell Bishop. A fish pie to serve 4-6 for £10 looked good value but we found it too salty.
I do have space for storage if I should choose to bulk buy but is it worth it, or do you end up spending £150 and still have nothing fir supper?

tanith Sat 26-Nov-16 23:18:27

After a year's membership we decided that we were spending money on large packs of things and then sharing them with family so we're spending more but not really gaining much. We got a few bargains but most things were just too big for two people so we let our membership lapse.

Welshwife Sat 26-Nov-16 23:22:22

I have been a member of Costco for a few years. The profit comes from the membership fees and little from the goods. I find it good value but rarely buy prepared foods. The meat is usually good quality and so are the rest of their goods. The quantities that you need to buy could be a problem. Lat time I was in there I bought a cordless vacuum and saved best part of £100 because it was on offer. If you have plenty of storage space and a large freezer it can be good.

kittylester Sun 27-Nov-16 06:14:25

We were members for a few years but stopped paying the subscription last year. The best thing I bought was a set of 3 white serving plates. In my view, shopping should be a fairly pleasurable experience and I found Costco far from pleasurable.

vampirequeen Sun 27-Nov-16 10:59:39

I quite like Costco but like all stores you have to do your research. I've had major bargains with things like bulk toilet rolls,kitchen rolls, shampoo, soap, shower gel etc. The birthday cakes are good value. Other stuff may not be as much of a bargain.

NanaandGrampy Sun 27-Nov-16 11:43:26

We have been members for many years as we both worked for American companies so got free membership. I go about three times a year.

My tops buys are :-

Meat- I buy in large quantities then split it up and freeze it. I can recommend their chicken breasts ( they're huge and one will do both of us !) , their mince, very lean and tasty and their large joints which we buy and cut into 3 and freeze. Each joint does us a roast , a cold meat and sandwiches. We've never had a piece of meat from here that wasn't good to be fair.

Pastries - If you like a croissant then they freeze well, are good quality ( better than some of the supermarkets) and they do various other pastries.

Some of their frozen food is good value - they do a premium Chicken chunks in breadcrumbs that all our family love. Proper white meat in sizeable chucks. I feel less guilty about giving it to the little ones than reformed chicken nuggets !

Their wrapping paper for Christmas is better quality that I can get anywhere and 2 roles does 2 Christmases.

Anything non perishable in bulk.

Like others have said you need to do your research because a supermarket could have a better special offer on.

The other thing is to be aware that IF a product is eligible for VAT it will be on top of the large displayed price ( you can see it in small print underneath!)

suzied Sun 27-Nov-16 12:01:55

We buy fish - a whole salmon fillet is a good buy and ideal when cooking for a crowd, or slice it up and freeze in single portions. Wine - good quality but not cheaper than Lidl. Occasionally garden plants, hanging baskets, Christmas lights, books, clothes, cat food, washing powder/ liquid. I only go a couple of times a year but enjoy seeing what they've got as it's different from an ordinary supermarket.,