Gransnet forums

House and home

Do you use a Kitchenaid?

(19 Posts)
mazza245 Sun 27-Nov-16 15:47:37

I have hankered after one of these for years but honestly, I don't bake very much! It looks so easy when you see Mary Berry et al just put everything in theirs and switch on - pastry done in minutes etc. A couple of years ago, my DH actually sent for one but when I realised he'd paid more than £400 I flipped! I couldn't justify such an expenditure so I returned it. Now, he's making noises again about me wanting one and I'm tempted a little bit but I know he'd complain if I didn't use it enough and it joined the bread maker etc in the cupboard!

My question is, if you have one, do you keep it on the work surface (another bone of contention) and does it make you bake more or do you have to be a prolific cake maker in order to justify the expense?

tanith Sun 27-Nov-16 15:55:05

I don't have a Kitchenaid but I do have a Kenwood Classic I'm not sure if there is a difference I have the blender with it too.

I didn't really want it but OH bought it really cheaply and although I only bake once a week or so I do find it very handy for making pastry/crumbles/sponges, my hands are arthritic and making pastry was getting very hard for me, the Kenwood makes it perfectly in a few minutes, so I am getting good use out of it. I keep it on top of my microwave so its not actually taking up space on the side.
I wouldn't buy it at full price that's for sure though.

aggie Sun 27-Nov-16 15:55:52

DD3 has one uses it a lot , but she bakes for school fairs etc , she actually prefers my ancient Kenwood

SloeGinny Sun 27-Nov-16 16:11:52

I have one and I love it. It's main use is to knead dough for bread, it's absolutely brilliant at it, so much so that I've thrown my bread-maker away.

It lives in a cupboard rather than on the worktop, but I find it quite easy to get it in and out.

DaphneBroon Sun 27-Nov-16 16:34:14

I'm a Kenwood Chef fan. KitchenAids do look sexier, but I love my Kenwood ❤️️❤️️❤️️

LadyGracie Sun 27-Nov-16 16:43:29

We bought our Kitchenaid when we retired and use it a lot. I used to have a Kenwood Chef (wedding present 1970) and think I preferred that

Nannystar Sun 27-Nov-16 16:53:36

If you would like one and can afford it then buy one and enjoy it. Don't hide it in a cupboard, buy a great colour and keep it on the worktop then even if you don't use it much you will enjoy looking at it. I did exactly that and do find I do use it and don't regret it but I am certainly not prolific! Go for it.

ninathenana Sun 27-Nov-16 17:11:37

I gave my big Kenwood and half dozen attachments that I inherited from MiL to D as I'd had it 20yrs and used it no more than five times grin
I had no idea what a kitchenaid was.

J52 Sun 27-Nov-16 17:42:59

Older Kenwoods have engineered motors and can be serviced/ repaired. Newer ones and Kitchenaids have electronic motors that are not worth repairing when they go wrong.

That's why there are so many Kenwoods still going. My 1974 version is still in use, as is its 1990s replacement!

NanaandGrampy Sun 27-Nov-16 17:52:58

I have one and like Sloeginny it made our bread maker redundant. I love it ...and it matches my kitchen decor ?

mazza245 Sun 27-Nov-16 21:07:43

I am tempted, Nannystar, to get a big red shiny one and have it out on the worktop and just stroke it every day! I have thought about a Kenwood instead. I keep putting it off hoping to get a bargain somewhere. It's over £420 for a Kitchenaid!

Indinana Sun 27-Nov-16 23:10:32

I have a Kenwood Chef and love it. I don't really bake that regularly these days, but when I do it really does make light work of it, particularly as I have such arthritic hands now. And it is perfect for making pastry or whipping up some scones quickly if the grandchildren turn up unexpectedly!
I use the blender a lot and I also have a slicer/grater attachment which is great for preparing veg, scalloped potatoes etc. I think the Kitchenaid scores on looks, but the Kenwood Chef Classic is about a third of the price and does exactly the same job!

M0nica Mon 28-Nov-16 16:09:16

I wasn't sure what a Kitchenaid was until Tanith compared it with a Kenwood Chef. I have had one of those for over 40 years. As well as the Kbeater I have a whisk, dough hook and liquidizer attachments.

I rarely cook cakes but I use it frequently. In the last week I have liquidized soup twice, made breadrumbs, made my Christmas cake and the brandy butter, mixed the mincemeat, and made several batches of the bread substitutes DH is eating on his Lowcarb diet. That is a pretty typical use frequency although the uses themselves vary from week to week.

John123john Sun 04-Dec-16 14:04:20

Kenwood Chef fan here too! LOVE IT A LOT! smile

Kittye Sun 04-Dec-16 19:26:55

Having a bit of spare money earlier this year I splashed out and treated myself to a Kitchenaid. I'd always wanted one but felt they were a luxury item. I do much more baking now and my grandsons love to use it ( under supervision and with safety cover on) It has pride of place on my worktop. If you can afford it go for it.

Nannystar Sun 04-Dec-16 19:37:28

I got mine from hartsofstur.com with the free book and spiralizer - not that I have spiralized anything! They have offers in certain colours and extras. Have a look - they just might tempt you.

Kittye Sun 04-Dec-16 20:00:28

Nannystar I got mine from hartsofstur.com.too. I got the free book, a free rotor vegetable shredder and a free block of kitchen knives. They offered the best deal when I bought mine. Very pleased with the deal.

Kittye Sun 04-Dec-16 20:03:17

Just looked on their website and the offer I got is still on

goldengirl Sun 04-Dec-16 20:45:49

I keep thinking about getting one but can't really justify it as I have a Magimix of some age which is still going strong and is I must admit very good indeed. If you do lots of baking etc - which I'd like to but don't have time - then I would imagine it would be ideal.