Gransnet forums

House and home

Too many possessions.

(8 Posts)
Frannytoo Sun 04-Dec-16 15:20:35

We have a new carpet being fitted which has meant clearing a display cabinet. I am aghast at the number of items which are probably quite valuable such as cut glass decanters, porcelain etc. which I don't think children or grandchildren want. What should I do with them? I don't use them and want to declutter.

tanith Sun 04-Dec-16 15:23:22

Donate them to a charity or maybe give them for a charity auction although not sure how you find out about them.

jusnoneed Sun 04-Dec-16 16:06:07

Take them to your local auction house, they will tell you if they have any value and then you can decide if you want them to sell them for you.

J52 Mon 05-Dec-16 08:08:14

Look for marks, names on the base of the china and glass, then look them up on the Internet. If they have any great value, auction sold prices will be on the net. Moderately valuable pieces will probably be listed on e bay.

Research could be fun! Then you can decide how you dispose of the unwanted bits.

Canarygirl1 Mon 05-Dec-16 22:30:58

I had a loft full of various ornaments, china ladies, and glassware, our local Hospice shop collected it all and it raised nearly £1000 for their cause.

Frannytoo Wed 07-Dec-16 09:47:27

Thank you everyone one for your suggestion. I will contact our local hospice.

Luckylegs9 Wed 14-Dec-16 06:45:57

I have got rid if quite a lot of oraments etc.still with the original boxes and price on. I gave them to the hospice shop locally. It is my way of giving something back,the children didn't want them, it is such a fiddle selling on line and I know the money goes to a good cause.

granjura Wed 14-Dec-16 11:28:22

Gildings in Market Harborough are brilliant at telling you what's what. Do make an appointment so your going doesn't clash with an auction day, or viewing day, etc.

BTW going to an auction is great- love it. Make sure you register at the desk or you won't be able to bid (perhaps a good thing, lol)