Gransnet forums

House and home

Air purifiers

(15 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 15-Dec-16 14:14:31

Anyone use one please? Since the drop in centre closed some of those who used it come to my house. Because they are troubled I cannot ask them not to smoke . Wondered if these air cleaning things worked

Mumsy Thu 15-Dec-16 14:46:05

Its your home Anniebach, regardless that they are troubled you should explain to them that you dont like people smoking in your home and ask if they would kindly use the outside garden space. Im sure they would understand, all credit to you for inviting them into your home. flowers

harrigran Thu 15-Dec-16 14:52:07

The smell lingers but worse is the deposits which cling to walls and ceiling and turn them yellow. Your house, your rules.

Anniebach Thu 15-Dec-16 14:57:58

I cannot do that Mumsy, a person in a panic attack or contemplating suicide or wuth very low or no self esteem doesn't need to be asked to step outside , i just can't ask it of them , this is why I thought of one of those are things

Anniebach Thu 15-Dec-16 14:59:17

I don't like yellow , oh damn it

Jane10 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:21:06

You're moving soon anyway. The next resident may not thank you for the nicotine deposits! Our flat was previously owned by a heavy smoker. We had to replaster the walls and ceilings as the nicotine had penetrated. Also all the plastic bits of light switches and appliances were stained yellow.
Is there a cafe you could meet somewhere? Also, look after your own health. You're no use to anyone if you end up with bronchitis/chest infection etc. These people need you in good health! Sermon over!!

BlueBelle Thu 15-Dec-16 15:33:36

To be honest Anniebach you can and you should, because someone has mental Heath problems it doesn't mean they have separate rules if they had a panic attack in a house, train , library, bus a hospital a police station they would have to manage without smoking and your house should have the same rules as anywhere else most hospitals and care homes and even halfway houses and they have to go outside

....I cannot abide the smell and don't like all the chemical cover ups either

Ana Thu 15-Dec-16 15:49:28

You really should have laid the ground rules when you opened up your home to your troubled friends Annie. Smokers are well aware that most people (especially non-smokers) don't allow smoking in the house.

Perhaps at your new home you could have some sort of open shed or summerhouse to which the smokers could go for a quick cigarette?

petra Fri 16-Dec-16 09:35:58

Good for you, * Anniebach* I think Fabreeze is about the best. It's what we used in care homes and they know a thing or two about smells smile
And if any of you have been with someone that are shaking so much that they can't even light the cigarette perhaps you would understand that the last thing they want to hear is, would you mind going outside. That one little comment could send them right over the top.

Anniebach Fri 16-Dec-16 10:04:36

Thank you all for replying and yes sensible comments but Petra understands why I will not stop my visitors smoking or ask them to go outside . They come here in their dark times , it is a place where they are not judged, not condemned , it is not s hospital , police station, care home or a half way house Bluebell, there are no rules .

Anyway I though of buying one of those machines which it is claimed absorb smoke.

Anya Fri 16-Dec-16 10:17:26

Would this link BEST AIR PURIFIERS be any use?

Anya Fri 16-Dec-16 10:20:15

Actually this AIR PURIFIERS UK looks better

Anniebach Fri 16-Dec-16 10:23:28

Thank you Anya, I have no knowledge of the things and don't know anyone who uses them. Shall read up on them on your link , great smile

AmandaMiller Tue 24-Apr-18 09:53:48

Anniebach I hope you've already figured out your problem, but if not you could also try visiting this website www.allbestairpurifiers.reviews
I found so much useful information there and it's definitely helpful in terms of smoke reduction in your appartment. Best of luck!

M0nica Tue 24-Apr-18 17:35:53

I read some research that said that, household air fresheners, the Airwick and others that diffuse a chemically developed scent through your house are as bad for your respiratory health as smoking