Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone know?

(16 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 18-Dec-16 23:11:58

I have a couple of ceiling lights that have lost the bottom screwy bit that holds the lampshade firmly in place does anyone know a) if you can buy these bits separately as opposed to an electrician putting a whole new fitment in and if so what are they called?
Thanks

Shanma Sun 18-Dec-16 23:37:50

Yes you can buy them, but no idea what they are called. I also call them screwy bits grin

Shanma Sun 18-Dec-16 23:42:21

www.lampsandlights.co.uk/

Or if you have a local elecrical shop I am sure you would be able to buy them there.

Alima Mon 19-Dec-16 06:20:07

Try googling "screws for ceiling light shades", or You tube, or even Amazon. Amazing the info that pops up. You may well be able to buy a replacement online.

Greyduster Mon 19-Dec-16 08:39:06

I'm sure you should be able to get them at an electrical factor - they usually sell to the public as well as trade - if you have one in your area, or maybe a small hardware shop.

Auntieflo Mon 19-Dec-16 09:15:18

Is it one of these 'screwy' things? Still don't know what they ae called though.

Auntieflo Mon 19-Dec-16 09:16:26

Shanma, sorry, that was courtesy of your Lamps and Lights post

Elegran Mon 19-Dec-16 09:51:50

You would probably get one in the electrical bits part of B&Q. They have all kinds of strange fittings. Buttonhole an assistant and describe what you want.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Dec-16 17:00:36

Ummm our b and q has recently closed I m not sure if it's the ring that there is a pic of its more a screwy eh. I ll see if I can take a pic

BlueBelle Wed 21-Dec-16 06:35:40

It's the bottom bit that's missing I know I can buy the whole thing but then I ve got to rewire the light and not so sure how safe i feel standing on the table to do it ?

Alima Wed 21-Dec-16 06:51:03

Yes you can buy those bits. We had to get one last week as DGS broke it. (How? you ask. ). Bought the part in the local DIY shop. DH did take the fuse out of the downstairs lights while he swopped them over.

Nelliemoser Wed 21-Dec-16 07:59:11

I would think you could get those at most hardware shops worthy of the name. I think they get the heat of the bulb for years and the plastic surround ends up cracking.

The wiring up is not difficult. The standing on a chair or step ladder to do it is. Do be careful. Do you have a helpful neighbour or such?

Take the existing cracked fitting with you if you can safely get it off?

Elegran Wed 21-Dec-16 11:02:14

It may be called a lampshade collar.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Dec-16 19:44:27

Whoop whoop whoop I got one today for 75p at Wilkinsons we don't any longer have hardware shops in town centre only out of town units which I can't get to easily without a car but thought I d have a little look and bingo there they were ....and in case anyone else needs one it's called a lamp holder skirt It's already up standing on the table haha Thanks for joining me in the search more fun than doing it on your own x

Anya Wed 21-Dec-16 22:56:19

Check out the thread on lightbulbs tchgrin

BlueBelle Thu 22-Dec-16 04:08:55

do you mean the one Shanma put up ....I did and didn't see the part there Anya but then maybe I m going gaga