Gransnet forums

House and home

septic tank problem

(8 Posts)
TriciaF Thu 05-Jan-17 09:54:19

Ours is an oldfashioned concrete system, no filter bed.
I was horrified today to smell petrol coming up a drain - husband said he had put some down a sink yesterday shock
Only about half a pint - do you think it has wrecked it? I've been putting Eparcyl powder down.

TriciaF Thu 05-Jan-17 14:20:15

ps this thread can be disregarded - had some other info.
Unless the same thing has happened with your septic tank.

Jane10 Thu 05-Jan-17 15:47:13

I remember a Garrison Keillor chapter about Lake Woebegone. It it a family sunk an old saloon car in their back yard to use as a septic tank. Each year it was dug up and trailored through the town to empty it!

TriciaF Thu 05-Jan-17 17:48:44

grin - Jane, up to about 10 years ago the farmers here used to empty theirs by spraying it on the soil after harvest, then dig it in. Good fertiliser. They were very upset when it was banned. They still use manure from other animals, though, especially pigs!

TriciaF Thu 05-Jan-17 17:52:06

ps and the best of all, pigeon manure. That was the purpose of all the pigeoniers you see near us eg:
www.cartesfrance.fr/carte-france-ville/photos_32015_Aujan-Mournede.html

petra Thu 05-Jan-17 18:37:16

When we lived abroad we realised we had a problem when effluent was coming up through the drain in the downstairs wet room.
The horror story is too long and distasteful to tell here, but I will tell you that there never was a septic tank angry

whitewave Thu 05-Jan-17 19:04:23

Reading "Death of a Busybody" who got killed and thrown into a cesspit. Quite good written in 1941

grannypiper Fri 06-Jan-17 16:25:39

A"problem with your septic tank" sounds like its a doctor you needgrin, i know i am such a child at times