Gransnet forums

House and home

Pretty carpet or sensible one?

(69 Posts)
Crafting Wed 11-Jan-17 20:40:50

We are about to buy a new lounge carpet. The one that looks best with our sofa and chairs is a very light colour twist carpet (cream with a few coloured flecks) 80%wool 20% nylon mix. My sensible head says get a much darker brown which won't show marks so much but then I will end up with yet another "beige" room.

Has anyone got a really light carpet and if so do you regret it?

Tessa101 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:27:07

Oh Crafting, yes I always wanted a cream lounge carpet and finally got one 2 years ago.It looks lovely completely finishes the room makes it look bigger warmer and cosy. But... I've had it cleaned twice in 2 years, as yes it does show every mark I'm a clean tidy person but still can't avoid the odd marks that appear. It is only general dirt that we bring in on slippers or dogs paws but to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way as I love the look of it and everyone comments on my lounge. So I'd say go for it.

allule Fri 13-Jan-17 16:30:56

We got a cream coloured carpet, but then got a cream coloured cat, who is completely camouflaged and always at risk of being stepped on sad

Lupin Fri 13-Jan-17 16:59:06

I have had cream coloured textured carpets in my flat - apart from the hall which has laminate down. I've been in the flat for a year now and so far so good. Have had to spot clean once or twice but the carpets are stain resistant and all marks have come out easily. I had some big pieces of carpet left over, so I had them edged with oversewing and have put them down in doorways to save wear - and one particularly large piece is a rug now - saving wear from feet in front of the sofa. I'm steady on my feet, but am aware that for those who aren't these pieces of carpet can be trip hazards.

deedee6262 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:49:19

I have got a pale grey carpet in our hall, stairs and landing. It has been down 18 months and it is a nightmare. I hate having to ask family and friends to take off their shoes at the doorstep (even though they do not seem to mind). I seem constantly to have carpet cleaner and a cloth in my hand and wish I has chose a dark grey carpet

Marydoll Fri 13-Jan-17 19:22:19

We have just put down new silvery grey flecked carpets in all our upstairs rooms. Looks bright, airy and fresh. If I want to change colour schemes in future, grey will go with anything. I'm so glad I chose grey, rather than boring beige.
This will definitely be the last time we do this, as I couldn't bear this amount of upheaval ever again. A divorce was on the cards! Even my trendy adult children are impressed with the results.

annsixty Fri 13-Jan-17 19:45:21

I'm sure those of you with silver or pale grey carpets love them and why not, but a few years ago we had neighbours who had an extension and carpeted with very pale grey and had ice blue walls and corresponding soft furnishings. On even warm days I would feel so cold and as I walked in I would pull my sleeves well down and if wearing a cardi would pull it round me.It was the chilliest room I have ever been in.

Lyndie Fri 13-Jan-17 20:51:20

My last house had light cream carpets. Nightmare. So in the new house we have put wooden floors in with lovely rugs. So easy to keep clean and looks good. Just saying.

SusieB50 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:10:54

We removed our carpets and painted our boards as they were not good enough to sand and varnish . I loved it but unfortunately the paint wore off despite using the special undercoat and floor paint . We now cannot decide . DH wants carpet but with 4 small DGC and a a very elderly grand-dog who sometimes doesn't quite make to the garden , I'm not so keen .Bare boards are draughty though so I would like to go for vinyl or someone has suggested bamboo . Has anyone had bamboo.?

Llamedos13 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:36:33

NO,don't do it,carpet is terrible stuff,splurge on hardwood and an area rug,you won't regret it EVER

Candelle Fri 13-Jan-17 23:51:26

sarahellenwhitney was your carpet marketed as 'stain-proof'. I am seeking something that looks good but won't require spot cleaning every day or two, thinking really of when I can't easily get up and down to do it.

I have beautiful parquet floors downstairs but found them chilly, hence we carpeted over them. A small crime?

If people are looking for the appearance of wood without the draft, try Amtico. We have this (not the wooden 'finish') in our kitchen/diner and love it. Unlike the parquet, it does not need polishing, just a quick mop clean. Amtico do a variety of wood finishes and are quite realistic and although not the cheapest flooring, will last forever. Do we have forever.....?!

Just remembered that we had a dark brown berber carpet in the 1970's and it showed up every speck of dirt, much which was surprisingly light-coloured.

Finally, I was musing about grey and now you GNetters have just put the kibosh on that idea! I think I am doomed to crawling about my pale peach carpet on hands and knees forever.....

Nelliemoser Sat 14-Jan-17 08:35:48

I don't really like laminate flooring for a house. It is hard , floors are noisy and just not cosy . I would always go for carpets in living rooms. The dust etc is much more easily picked up by a vacuum cleaner on a carpet than "chasing" it dust around a laminate floor. As for these restaurants that have all these trendy minimal soft furnishings the noise level in them can be above safe levels and very unpleasant to be in . Groups of people talking make a lot of noise and soft furnishings absorb this. Rant over ?

Marieeliz Sat 14-Jan-17 11:43:45

If you live in a terraced house hardwood floors are a nightmare for the neighbours. Constant banging and knocking especially when children are playing with toys.

Maggymay Sat 14-Jan-17 12:41:52

We have neighbours with 3 children and they have laminate flooring throughout their house ,the noise level is horrendous we cannot go to bed until they do which is very often midnight.We invested in wireless headphones so we can at least listen to to TV in peace.

seacliff Sat 14-Jan-17 12:48:13

We have a good quality 80% wool cream berber carpet, and it has quite a lot of "pet" stains that didn't totally come out.It looks a bit grubby and I'm thinking of getting it professionally cleaned.

I can't face/afford to replace it, but if I did, I might try a pale wood effect Amtico and a large cosy rug in a darker more forgiving colour, possibly a small pattern.

In the "old days" cork flooring was popular. It is quite warm and hard wearing, looks good with a rug. Does anyone still use cork on floor?

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 22:37:24

I think "a touch of Iran" actually does work best. We have various highly patterned Persian rugs on our wooden floors and we find they are very forgiving.

ines Tue 17-Jul-18 13:38:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ines Tue 17-Jul-18 13:40:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FlexibleFriend Tue 17-Jul-18 15:20:24

I have cream carpet in my lounge and 5 dogs, it looks immaculate. This time I moved away from the twist that I normally buy and was tempted by a nice thick plain cream saxony that is bleach cleanable. I've never resorted to cleaning with bleach but It's had several dog sick spot removals and it's still pristine. I was so pleased with it that when my Son recently recarpeted his lounge he went for the same type of carpet, slightly darker but half the price and it looks amazing. Cream carpet is very versatile, it goes with anything, brightens the room and can be very hard wearing too.