Gransnet forums

House and home

Does our house need a bath

(36 Posts)
granma47 Wed 18-Jan-17 11:06:42

We are updating the downstairs bathroom in our dormer bungalow where we have a shower room upstairs. We rarely have a bath and, in fact, it is only the grandchildren who enjoy it when they come to stay. Do we need a bath? I would quite like to put the washing machine and tumble dryer in its place. (Nicely hidden, of course). What do you think Gransnetters?

tanith Wed 18-Jan-17 11:25:06

I think as you already have a shower room keeping the bath in your other bathroom is really a wise move if you intend on moving again as people do seem to like the choice if possible. If on the other hand you are living in your forever house then do exactly what is good for you.
We only have one bathroom but had our bath taken out and a walk in shower put in for our convenience. I did ponder the decision but decided it was are only option given my hip problems.

Charleygirl Wed 18-Jan-17 11:32:33

I agree with tanith, I had to have my bath removed for the same reason. People on the whole do like a bath in a house when buying but with water meters becoming more generally available, showers may well be a priority over baths to save money.

gillybob Wed 18-Jan-17 11:37:15

My dad lives in a small (local authority) bungalow that was specially converted for my late mum. The bath was removed and a full wet-room/shower was installed. This is ideal in a bungalow. However, I know someone who has a family home that they are unable to sell as they removed the bath and replaced it with a walk in style shower. Families like baths and I think he will have to put the bath back if he ever hopes to sell.

Teetime Wed 18-Jan-17 11:44:09

Yes I agree if you think you might want to sell in the future have both options is a good selling point.

Ankers Wed 18-Jan-17 11:44:27

Personally I would put in the bath.

It sounds like the washing machine and tumble dryer can go elsewhere.

Alima Wed 18-Jan-17 12:23:23

If you have room for both a shower room and a bathroom I would put a bath in. A property not having a bath would, and has, stopped us from even considering putting an offer in. If you are not bothered about selling do what suits you.

Greyduster Wed 18-Jan-17 12:32:06

This is something DH and I are mulling over at the moment. He wants to take the bath out and put in a walk in shower and I believe the bath is a selling point for people who have small children. The only person who has used the bath in our house is GS, who was five when we moved in. However, just over a year later he was fully into having showers and not baths, so the bath never gets used now. We would like to get the bathroom upgraded, but can't seem to get past this sticking point.

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:39:35

If you put in a walk in shower bearing in mind that you or the future purchasers may want to change it back. Make it as easy for either you or them to do so. If you breakdown the cost and compare it to how long you expect to be there it may not seem too costly. Hope this makes sense. Remember this is YOUR home do it to suit yourself.

Anya Wed 18-Jan-17 13:14:24

From the sound of it you already have a bath in this room, but it is rarely used. Personally I'd keep the bath when you update. I know several people who've replaced their bath and regretted it. And it's true that future buyers can be put off by no bath.

At the present you gave the best of both worlds, a bath and a shower. I presume your washing machine and tumble dryer are currently in your kitchen. Is there a problem with that?

tanith Wed 18-Jan-17 13:26:12

Just for those mulling this over our walk in shower is a god send , 2yrs after we put it in I simply cannot get in a bath any longer due to my ever deteriorating hip problem. I really wouldn't be without the walk in shower now its just so convenient and easy to use. As others have said if you intending on stay put do whats best for you and think ahead we were so glad we took the plunge when we did.

Anya Wed 18-Jan-17 13:29:49

But tanith they already have a shower room.

rosesarered Wed 18-Jan-17 13:35:21

We have just done the same Tanith and re-designed the whoe bathroom at the same time, it looks much better now. I think you need to design the house to suit yourself really, if somebody wants a bath in the bathroom it's no biggie to have the shower removed and a bath installed.If they like the house enough, they will still buy it.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-17 13:38:38

I wouldn't remove my bath although I can't remember when it was last used as a bath but purely for selling purposes either for me or my kids who inherit my houses as I believe it is a money loser to not have both in the house

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-17 13:39:18

That should read house not houses I ve only got be Donald Trump i m not

chelseababy Wed 18-Jan-17 13:46:33

Having watched Amanda Lamb Selling Houses (guilty pleasure?) I would definitely keep a bath if at all possible. In one property where the owner had removed the bath and put in a shower she advised 're installing a bath with shower over. There are lots of space saving suites available now so could you squeeze both in?

SueDonim Wed 18-Jan-17 14:00:23

I love a bath so I wouldn't buy a house without one, unless it was going to be easy to fit a new one in.

My son was saying that it's difficult that so many hotels only have showers nowadays as that means there's nowhere to bath a baby or toddler. He stayed in one upmarket hotel recently and requested a room with bath. They said they didn't have any baths at all in the entire hotel!

Eloethan Wed 18-Jan-17 16:40:38

It depends if you envisage selling at any time. Estate agents usually say that most people want some sort of shower and a bath.

I wouldn't buy a house without a bath unless it would be very easy to install one.

Christinefrance Wed 18-Jan-17 16:44:35

Yes I agree with Eloethan, the resale value will be greater if you have a bath and shower. Depends how long you intend to keep the house. If it's your forever home then go with what fits best with your lifestyle..

M0nica Wed 18-Jan-17 18:57:59

We are bathers and would not consider a house without a bath.

Welshwife Wed 18-Jan-17 19:57:39

In our last UK house we replaced the bath which was there with a walk in shower but we also installed an ensuite in out guest room so put a bath in there. It could be good not to put a bath which is too deep in with a shower over - my cousin has this and cannot step into the bath so now needs to have a walk in shower put in. I love a shower with a big head to have a good amount of water - DH likes to have the sort you can take off and hold in your hand so we buy dual shower heads.
Here in France we have en suites with showers but in what is now our downstairs cloakroom we have a short Frenxh bath. It is a very pretty one and I used to like using it as wonderfully deep, although an adult needs to have their knees bent! Have difficulty getting out again now though but I use it as a large utility sink from time to time!

Ana Wed 18-Jan-17 20:05:12

It isn't that difficult to reinstall a bath if new owners want one, the plumbing's all there.

If someone really wants the house, they'll usually take such things into account before making an offer.

aggie Wed 18-Jan-17 20:28:20

we put in a new shower room downstairs , I wanted the washing machine there too , but the electrician. refused , saying that it was against regulations , the plumber agreed with him .So we have a large shower room and tbe washong machine taking up space in the kitchen sad

Grannyben Wed 18-Jan-17 20:50:57

I very rarely used my bath so had it replaced with a walk in shower. Now I miss it terribly, particularly on those occasions when your bones are cold and a shower just doesn't cut it. I would keep both

Annierose Wed 18-Jan-17 22:42:20

I'm not sure if you intending simply to replace the bath with the washing machine, or if you are putting in a shower as well.

If you are thinking of moving, then consider a 'selling point'; if not, then do what suits you.

I would however, have a downstairs shower if you can, in case of being unable to get upstairs.