Gransnet forums

House and home

Advice on handheld vacuums (Gtech multi or another make)

(29 Posts)
cangran Tue 31-Jan-17 15:43:32

I bought a Gtech Air Ram cordless vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago (after thinking about it for a couple of years because of the price) and really like it. I haven't used my heavy vacuum cleaner since but there are places I can't clean without having attachments. Not that I'm a fussy cleaner, but I wondered what your experiences are with handheld vacuums? Are they useful? I maybe should have bought the Gtech multi handheld at the same time as the Air Ram as it was cheaper that way but didn't know whether it would be worth it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

callgirl1 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:30:30

I bought the 2 together a few weeks ago, love them. The Multi isn`t brilliant on it`s own, but with the power brush attached it`s well OK.

Luckygirl Tue 31-Jan-17 18:56:52

Don't speak to me about hand held vacs - my OH is in love with ours. Every time I open my mouth to speak to him one of his two (!) vacs starts buzzing away! He follows me round sucking up my mess. I have threatened to bin it!!!

Indinana Tue 31-Jan-17 19:20:40

I bought both together about 18 months ago and I am still as impressed with them as I was on day one. The Multi (handheld) is so handy for picking up spilt sugar, crumbs etc. and, with the extension tube, to vacuum up cobwebs, clean down the sides of the sofas, get into awkward corners and so on. OK, it's not as powerful as the Air Ram, but it does the job and I wouldn't be without it now!

Iam64 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:21:32

I bought an expensive Dyson on the basis my two previous Dyson cleaners lasted years and were efficient. The most recent one has done 15 years and is now in employment at my adult grandsons home. I bough the expensive Dyson, felt extravagant but as I have two dogs and a very busy home, it was worth the expense.
I love it. It has an attachment for carpets and a different one for the wooden floors. As with Luckygirl, the very odd thing is that my husband loves the new gadget and can be seen zipping round the kitchen floor after breakfast and dog walk. What's not to like

cangran Wed 01-Feb-17 11:59:40

Thank you for your useful feedback. I think I will buy the Gtech Multi although I've no illusions that my OH will suddenly take an interest in cleaning!

Charleygirl Sat 11-Feb-17 18:38:50

Luckygirl Could you please tell me the make of the hand held vac that your husband has fallen in love with? I really only want mine for the stairs so I do not intend spending much money. I dare not tell you how many vacs I own but none is hand held, ie small.

Alima Sat 11-Feb-17 18:45:28

Could someone tell me if the hand held Multi is any good for the stairs please?

overthehill Sun 26-Feb-17 22:12:53

I bought the Dyson Fluffy (peculiar name I know) and it's one of the best things I have bought.

I bought it basically to do the stairs as I was fed with dragging the big one around. Well it transformed my vacuuming life.

I use it all over our three bedroom house. It has a beater bit for the stairs, a soft head (fluffy) for hard floors and a large beater head for carpets. Also a couple of tubes for hard to reach places.

It lasts 20 minutes and I do the whole house in that time. The only time it stopped was when I dragged out furniture and did an extra do. You can fix a charger on the wall so it is constantly on charge but I haven't got the room. When I've finished the cleaning I just sit it on the work top to charge ready for next time.

I tell everyone to buy one

vampirequeen Mon 27-Feb-17 16:43:33

I love my Dyson.

Alima Thu 23-Mar-17 13:53:45

My trusty Dyson has just given up and I have ordered a Gtech. Could anyone tell me how long it will need to be charged before the first use? I am very impatient so am thinking forewarned is forearmed!

tiffaney Thu 23-Mar-17 16:40:59

After reading all these comments about the G Tech Air ram and Multi l am tempted to get one despite the fact that the Shouty man on the advert really gets up my nose ?

shysal Thu 23-Mar-17 17:05:59

Alima, My Air Ram arrived with about enough charge for 10 minutes, long enough for me to decide that I loved it! A full charge takes about 3 hours I think, but forgive me if I got that wrong. I remove the battery and charge it out of sight often forgetting it. The whole thing can be plugged into the charger, and that gives an indication of how it is going, also tells you how much you have left while using it.
Enjoy!

callgirl1 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:16:24

I charge mine overnight to be sure. Tiffaney, I quite like the man in the adverts, he is the inventor, Nick Grey.

Alima Thu 23-Mar-17 18:49:08

Thank you shysal, I am so looking forward to receiving the parcel tomorrow. 10 minutes will be more than enough to flit around the living room! (The upstairs will have to wait until Saturday).

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Mar-17 09:42:06

I got a dyson animal a few weeks ago and love it. It's great not having to continuously plug and unplug it like the big one. Great for the staircase. DH loves it, too. Like some other posters have said, he often whips it round the kitchen or along the hallway grin

mazza245 Fri 24-Mar-17 14:08:04

Are these good for doing the car? That's what I really need.

Mapleleaf Sun 02-Apr-17 22:32:03

Hi, mazza245. Yes, it's supposed to be good for the car, too, as you can just use the main part of it with the necessary nozzles attached. There's up to 20 minutes of battery life when it's fully charged.

davemcdavidson Mon 19-Mar-18 11:48:51

The only problem I have with the Gtech option is you seem to need to buy two vacuum cleaners, the Airram and the Multi as they didn't do an almost hybrid model like Dyson do. I have just read this review of the new Gtech Pro which seems to address this need. I am very tempted to buy one. Has anyone tried one? www.toolsreview.uk/gtech-pro-review/

jhonnikolson Wed 02-Jan-19 10:02:41

good to see this discussion! it is really helpful for me.

Franbern Wed 02-Jan-19 16:37:10

Had these two GTech cleaners for Xmas pressie. They are wonderful. So light to carry and use. The Multi made doing my stairs so quick and easy and they look great. The upright one I tried on the rug in my living room which I was getting towards throwing out as it never looked really clean - one go on there and it looks wonderful. I am so impressed with them. Over the weekend I do the inside of my car as I also got the the additional tools for that as part of the pressie package

jhonnikolson Sat 26-Jan-19 10:55:04

cleaningbeasts.com/roomba-690-review/

jhonnikolson Wed 30-Jan-19 13:51:15

Does anyone know about Best Apartment Vacuums
I have to purchase one
This site: allofvacuums.com/best-vacuum-for-apartment is suggesting some good one but want to confirm from local community

Lisagran Thu 28-Mar-19 13:19:41

Just to say I ordered the GTech Pro yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning. So far I’m really impressed - it’s much lighter and quieter than my previous (corded, upright) Dyson. No cobwebs on my kitchen ceiling now!! With code 68AH it was £199.99 with 20 free bags and a flexible hose. Just off to try it out in my (very messy!) car

Doodle Thu 28-Mar-19 21:30:50

I have a Dyson and it is very good. The only problem I have is that due to aching joints and weak hands I find it hard to hold the trigger to make it work. Also the hand held bit is quite heavy. Great with cleaning though.