Gransnet forums

House and home

Fitted sheets

(15 Posts)
Whoputthecatout Sun 12-Feb-17 16:18:04

Help Gransnetters. I like fitted under sheets as I thrash around a lot at night and they don't ruckle up. But I despair of finding any that don't shrink even though I always wash them according to instructions.

Even my latest lot, some quite expensive Egyptian cotton onens from M&S, have shrunk. I have arthritis in my hands, particularly the thumb and wrist joints and also last joints of fingers, which mean I have lost my once good grip.

When I try and get the last corner of the sheet fitted it won't go over the corner of the mattress without causing me horrendous pain because the sheet is too tight. I've tried bending the mattress but that kills my wrists.

Does anyone know of any good quality fitted sheets that don't shrink? (My bed is a 5ft double).

Changing the sheets today has almost reduced me to tears because of the pain.

Charleygirl Sun 12-Feb-17 16:20:59

It sounds to me that you have been buying for a 4 foot 6" double or am I wrong?

Araabra Sun 12-Feb-17 16:28:09

My mom had arthritis and had a difficult time with the sheets. I opened the seams on the 2 corners at the foot and applied 2 fabric strips on each side of the corners (8 strips total). Tie the sheets, voila.

br0adwater Sun 12-Feb-17 16:36:30

Snap. I now buy flat sheets and sew the corners - after shrinking first. Add a bit if thin elastic et voilà.

Ana Sun 12-Feb-17 16:41:10

A 5' wide bed is king sized, but even if you've been buying double ones by mistake that doesn't explain why the sheets (presumably) fitted fine before you washed them...confused

Charleygirl Sun 12-Feb-17 16:45:35

I buy poly cotton fitted sheets for my double bed as I loathe ironing and mine do not shrink- maybe it is only the pure cotton ones that do.

dogsmother Sun 12-Feb-17 16:56:37

Feel your pain! I have been the same but mostly in my left thumb and wrist.
When I change my sheet I wedge the mattress right up on my leg and use both hands to get the corners over, it's a palaver four times but I find it easier than trying to lean over. It makes it higher and more manageable to me.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 17:00:37

I wash M and S cotton sheets at forty. I haven't had any problems with our fitted five foot bed sheets. Could they possibly shrink if washed at higher temperatures?

MawBroon Sun 12-Feb-17 17:02:53

It may be because your mattress is too deep for the sheets you have. John Lewis (and most places!) sell extra-deep fitted sheets, these are so much easier to wrestle with and you have at least a fighting chance! Make sure you get king size or, if you think they might shrink, go for super kings.

Lona Sun 12-Feb-17 17:05:46

I bought a brushed cotton fitted double from Dunelm which barely fits, I think they are cutting corners! grin

rosesarered Sun 12-Feb-17 17:10:50

I always buy flat sheets, can't stand all the need to pull and stretch the fitted ones, hard work!

Alima Sun 12-Feb-17 17:31:20

We have some fitted sheets for a deep mattress, DH loves them as they don't ruck up at all. I hate the bliddy things as they are so tight to fit over the corners that they are a pig to put on and I knacker my wrists in the process. roses has a good idea, decent sized flat sheets but do them with hospital corners then they don't ruck up at all. Plus they are easy to iron for those of us who do.

dogsmother Sun 12-Feb-17 17:33:35

Forgot to say try soak and sleep sheets, they are best bought at sale prices as are quite pricey but great quality and haven't shrunk for me. I g

seacliff Sun 12-Feb-17 18:14:13

I get extra deep fitted sheets from Debenhams, they do 5 foot widths. They are poly cotton, nice quality - I don't iron them. I wash them at 40, and they don't shrink. They are quite easy to get back on, but you do always have to pull the final corner on a little bit.

Whoputthecatout Sun 12-Feb-17 18:18:37

Thanks everyone. Yes, they are king size sheets. They fitted perfectly until I had washed them a couple of times at 40 as per instructions.

It's not to do with the depth of the mattress either because you can't even get them to go over the final corner. I try lifting as dogsmother does and wedging the mattress against my leg but it still knackers my wrist.

Alima I used to have flat sheets and did hospital corners but they still ruckled up. When I say I thrash about I mean thrash about grin.

Perhaps it is hoping for too much that sheets don't shrink...

Oh well, I have left my husband tugging and grunting (that sounds bad) with the corner. Will probably have to go and help as it takes two of us usually.