Gransnet forums

House and home

on line grocery shopping

(36 Posts)
anneey Mon 13-Feb-17 20:10:17

I find on line grocery shopping, such a help. Especially if I am under the weather.
I ordered today, if the order is over £40 delivery charge is £1....well worth it. Although I sometimes struggle to spend that amount. A few of my friends say that stops them ordering on line.
I wonder if the supermarkets could still make a profit if they helped us o.a.p's? With the delivery charge.Although I don't quite know how we could prove our age. Any ideas?

gretel Mon 13-Feb-17 20:22:53

I think with Ocado you can share a delivery eg £20 each. It might be worth having a look online for terms and conditions. I'm not sure if other supermarkets do this.

MawBroon Mon 13-Feb-17 20:32:39

£1 is probably a lot less than you would spend even getting to your local supermarket. You could always stock,up,on washing powder, dishwasher tabs, loopaper etc if you have difficulty reaching £40.
Personally I have trouble keeping it to £70 for 2 of us. Given the way things last, why not shop online fortnightly and just pop out for milk or bread etc as and when?

willsmadnan Mon 13-Feb-17 20:43:12

As a singleton now I have an Ocado or Morrison's shop every 2 weeks usually around £60 each time. I have a fridge/freezer which is invaluable as I like to cook a varied diet. I buy a lot more frozen veg than I did when DH was alive as there seems to be less waste. I always look for the special offers online and don't spend as much as I do if I shop in person with DD. I don't think the online supermarkets could sensibly offer a reduced OAP rate as it costs to provide a delivery service.
Maybe trying to find a neighbour who would be happy to share a delivery as suggested would be the answer, or have you space for a small freezer? I have noticed that Morrisons try to encourage you to book a delivery when they are delivering in your area with a little green van logo on the time slot, ostensibly to be environmentally conscious, but as they don't offer a delivery fee discount how many people are going to bother?

Lillie Mon 13-Feb-17 21:11:13

I don't see why the online supermarkets should offer free delivery to OAPs when they probably only spend a fifth of the average family shop.

merlotgran Mon 13-Feb-17 21:16:11

I pick a time when the delivery charge is reduced. It can be two or three pounds cheaper in the afternoon.

Worth every penny.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Feb-17 21:18:30

I shop with Morrisons on line and my bill is always well over £40 but admittedly I have enough loo rolls dish washer tablets etc. to last a long time. I save a bit of money also because I go for their offers and usually save around £14 when I shop 2-3 weekly. The most I spend for a convenient delivery slot is £1.50. The £1 slot times for me are inconvenient.

willsmadnan Mon 13-Feb-17 21:35:13

I think the OP doesn't begrudge the £1 delivery charge , as no way could one drive to the nearest supermarket for under £4 and have the luxury of getting it delivered to your door without the hassle of parking, pushing a temperamental trolley, queing at the checkout et al. I think its having to get a £40 shop to qualify for a delivery at all is the problem . Someone living on their own might find it difficult to spend that much each week.... hence the suggestion of investing in a small freezer for meat etc. I even freeze milk as I'm afraid a pound for a litre in my local 8 til 8 is daylight robbery IMO. He does a great offer on 3 bottles of wine though...so maybe it's swings and roundaboutssmile.

Charleygirl Mon 13-Feb-17 21:41:30

I buy stuff like shampoo and deodorant on line and it all adds up. Cat litter x2 bags and semi skimmed long life milk 2x6 cartons increases the bill somewhat. I have no problem spending £40 and sometimes there is little food ordered. I live on my own.

Hilltopgran Mon 13-Feb-17 21:49:20

I find weekly shopping so time consuming, as I live in countryside I find a trip takes half a day, whereas shopping delivered is put away in 15mins, and using a favorites list to select means even the ordering process is quick. OHs beer and wiskey makes sure we hit the right amount for reduced cost and I find a mid daytime slot is cheaper and leaves me half a day to spend in the garden!

Anya Mon 13-Feb-17 22:09:13

Used to buy groceries online, but too many substitutions or items not available or close to sell by date, and filthy delivery crates. But then I'm lucky and live within walking distance of a Sainsbury's and an M&S food, so I tend to shop daily and we have a market on a Saturday.

I just trundle off with my shopping trolley up the hill through the West Gate into town, wander around the few shops we do have, turn into Cocksparrow Lane and down to Sainsbury's, do my shop and tootle back across the Racecourse.

Job done, 5000+ steps added to my daily total.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 13-Feb-17 22:20:51

I get the Ocado midweek (Tue-Thu inclusive) delivery pass which is only a few pounds a month, and make a weekly order so the per-order cost is less than £2. If I'm struggling to reach the £40 minimum spend I include a book of stamps or some greetings cards or similar - always useful to have.

I don't think being older should entitle anyone to a reduced minimum spend!

Badenkate Mon 13-Feb-17 22:50:15

I paid £60 for a year's deliveries from Sainsbury's - as many as I want as long as there's only 1 per day, and I spend over £40. It means I can put in an order for when I come back from holiday even if it is a weekend evening or bank holiday or put in a quick order if we have unexpected guests come to stay.
I've never had a problem with what I have delivered, although I don't allow substitutions. The crates are always clean and, although I was worried about getting old fruit and veg etc, they've always looked fresher than what's available in the shop.

MawBroon Mon 13-Feb-17 23:14:55

How I would have welcomed on line shopping when the DDs were tiny. When DD1 was a baby we didn't have a car and Safeway on Streatham High Road was a BRISK 20 min walk with the pram from our flat. You can imagine it. Feed baby, burp baby, outdoor clothes on, steam off to Safeway (it did get her to sleep) , balance basket on pram if asleep, (no baby seats on the trolleys) or transfer to trolley, steam round Safeways, stand in queue, steam back at full pelt and she would be screaming her head off for the next feed as we rounded the corner. By the time her younger sister was born as had a car so I would DRIVE to the Arndale Centre in Wandsworth. There was a multi storey carpark over Sainsbury's but the trolleys were on the ground floor. So, carry baby, hold 2 year old's hand while going down in urine smelling lift to get our trolley and start shopping. Once completed wheel trolley plus 2 girls back to the car in stinky lift, unpack bags into boot, strap girls in, lock car and return the trolley to the shop several floors below ???
Now? DD composes her list doing a night feed and it is delivered by "the shopping man" the next day. The Ocado man /lady brings it into the kitchen and does everything short of putting it away.. Now that's what.I call progress.

callgirl1 Tue 14-Feb-17 00:08:36

I use Tesco, and pay a delivery saver charge for midweek deliveries, of £36 a year, that`s for unlimited deliveries of over £40 a time.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Feb-17 06:54:01

I used to do online shopping but like Anya found too many substitutes Iceland is free if you buy over £20 and as far as I remember Asda used to be free when I used it too

anneey Tue 14-Feb-17 07:11:30

It just goes to show how spoilt we are with on line shopping (not only groceries) We all live different lives...I have given up my car, I feel very fortunate to have my freedom pass.So cost me nil to go shopping.When I do have a delivery £1 is a bargain, unfortunately if I spend less than £40 the charge is £7. Which is too much.

mumofmadboys Tue 14-Feb-17 07:14:19

Isn't it best to make sure it is always over forty pounds by topping up on staples such as tea bags, loo rolls etc?

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 07:28:48

I remember delivering a hand-written note to the grocers when I was a child and a mixed cardboard box of groceries being delivered weekly - left on the doorstep if we were out.

NanKate Tue 14-Feb-17 07:43:14

Gosh you take me back in time with the handwritten note to the grocers. My dad liked shopping and he and I would go out together shopping on a Saturday morning finishing up at the Vintners (I think that was the name for a wine shop). I can remember the smell of the wooden counter and sherry. No wonder I like a drop now grin

Your description Anya of your walk home from the shops takes me back to my 20s when I worked in your lovely town.

Lillie Tue 14-Feb-17 07:54:27

It's only the same as John Lewis imposing a minimum spend of £30 on click and collect. They don't allow older people a reduced minimum spend!
These companies carefully calculate where they can offer discounts or concessions and if they allowed OAPs to spend less, then what about disabled people, one parent families, those on benefits etc.?

Moocow Tue 14-Feb-17 08:26:44

There are companies who don't have a minimum spend for click and collect and as so many sell the same or similar products I avoid charges. I'm always thinking how much more am I paying for a product when the p&p or delivery charge is free or cheap though.

Badenkate Tue 14-Feb-17 08:32:14

Now you have taken me back Anya! My mum and dad ran a village store and sub-post office, and they used to deliver 'orders'. I can remember collecting the goods off the lists and packing them in old cardboard boxes and dad taking them out - usually on a Friday evening. I became quite expert at packing orders in the smallest box available to save space?

PRINTMISS Tue 14-Feb-17 08:52:44

Badenkate I used to give our delivery boy a 3p piece (anyone remember those) if he delivered one crate and 6p if he delivered two.

Pittcity Tue 14-Feb-17 08:56:19

Iceland offer free delivery if £35 spent online but if you can get to the shop you can fill your trolley and they will deliver free if you spend £20.
We are lucky to have branch in the town centre that is easily accessible by bus. It is always full of people taking advantage of this offer. You can pick your own fruit/veg etc.too!