Gransnet forums

House and home

The main cook in the house

(55 Posts)
Daddima Wed 15-Feb-17 17:02:31

Now, firstly may I say that the Bodach has NEVER cooked a meal for anyone. He has no interest in food, and would happily eat the same thing every day ( plain meat/ fish and potatoes, no vegetables)

As a child, my father was the main cook. My mother did the everyday meals, but my father did weekends and high days and holidays.

When our sons were at home I still did all the cooking, but now that they have all taken wives, they've morphed into Gordon Fe**in' Ramsay!

We did laugh at how they've followed my father's " home from work" ritual of going to the kitchen, lifting pan lids, and adjusting cooker rings.

Antonia Wed 15-Feb-17 17:14:36

My DH is the main cook at our house. We are both 'foodies' and he enjoys the cooking more than I do and he is very good at it. I do the breakfast but the main evening meal is his department.

Christinefrance Wed 15-Feb-17 17:21:00

My husband does all the cooking as I hate it and he was a chef. The downside is that he still thinks he is in a professional kitchen with people to wash up every pan in the house which he uses. smile

merlotgran Wed 15-Feb-17 17:21:45

I'm the chef, DH is an excellent commis. He does all the veg prep, slicing meat, bread and grating cheese etc.

Unfortunately he can never be bothered to load the dishwasher so I'm also the kitchen porter.

grannypiper Wed 15-Feb-17 17:43:40

All down to me, he can manage to make coffee grin

Tizliz Wed 15-Feb-17 17:49:13

'going to the kitchen, lifting pan lids, and adjusting cooker rings.'

If you want to cook then do it all, if not get out of my kitchen grin

kittylester Wed 15-Feb-17 18:21:00

I love cooking - luckily!

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 18:32:58

H does cooked breckie if we're having it. We often do our own lunch (sarnies or similar) evening meal is usually me although H has a couple of meals he likes to cook. It always tastes better if you haven't stood cooking it IMHO

Morgana Wed 15-Feb-17 18:34:00

D H took over cooking when he retired before me. But he never tastes before he serves so meals r very hit and miss!

Rinouchka Wed 15-Feb-17 19:02:57

I do all the cooking and always have done. DH is a fantastic cleaner, however, with much more powerful arms tham me so can really scrub.
SiL3 is a born chef so, when we are with them, I let him cook. SiL2 has a mum who is a fantastic cook, so am always in awe when with them as no one can cook as well as his mum( and she is very good).

Rinouchka Wed 15-Feb-17 19:03:34

Than

rosesarered Wed 15-Feb-17 19:15:39

Mr Roses always does breakfast ( not exactly hard though, is it?) I do other meals and he clears away and makes coffee.He can cook, but it doesn't happen all that often.

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 19:38:27

Before DH retired, he said "When I retire, I want you to teach me to cook some stuff." So far, "some stuff" has been cheese on toast and a fruit cake over which we will hastily draw a veil! Whenever I suggest he might like a lesson, he has a ready excuse. I do all the cooking although he's happy to peel veg and clean up all the mess I make. My son trained as a chef though he never worked as one, and does a lot of the cooking in their household. He's very inventive.

Teetime Wed 15-Feb-17 19:40:06

I do it all Dh sometimes makes morning tea and evening coffee but he does all the ironing and hoovering.

grannyqueenie Wed 15-Feb-17 19:49:25

I do all the cooking unless you count the occasional egg on toast or toasted cheese, his signature dish favourite! But the old boy does do a fair bit of the cleaning, not great on corners mind you so I do have to
nag supervise a little grin

TriciaF Thu 16-Feb-17 10:18:44

Like others, I cook and husband cleans. I enjoy cooking.
My friend isn't so keen on cooking, but her husband is. The trouble is he goes online and finds all these fancy recipes with obscure ingredients. So she spends ages shopping for him,
and cleaning up afterwards. But she doesn't complain - "it keeps him occupied". (He's physically disabled.)

ginny Thu 16-Feb-17 11:02:54

I enjoy cooking and do it all. DH will help out by cutting and slicing and gathering all the ingredients. He eats anything so a pleasure to cook for. Only niggle is the 'lifting lids and having a stir.'

Juggernaut Thu 16-Feb-17 11:22:23

I'm the cook, DH can put a decent meal on the table if necessary, but we'd both rather he didn't!
He does, however, do all the vacuuming, most of the polishing, and all the dish washing.
He's not allowed to touch the iron though!

goldengirl Thu 16-Feb-17 11:45:36

I'm the cook even though I don't particularly like it. DH's idea of cooking is to open a packet or get a take away - both fine on occasion but not as a regular event. He makes a good cup of tea though. If I cook I clear/wash up. If he 'cooks' he clears/washes up. I've taken up HelloFresh which saves my brain and an interesting easily prepared meal is ready within half to three quarters of an hour.

POGS Thu 16-Feb-17 11:53:47

Hubby is good at cooking basic meals , I include a roast as basic, he doesn't particularly enjoy it though.

It is nice to have somebody share the duties. My dad was a typical 'Man of the house' when mum was alive but as a good Navy man when she died he was perfectly capable of looking after himself until Ill health took away those capabilities.

I often think how mum would have enjoyed more help from dad.

paddyann Thu 16-Feb-17 11:55:54

nobody is allowed in my kitchen ,I cook and do all prep and cleaning ,cant stand anyone under my feet,or putting things where they dont belong

M0nica Thu 16-Feb-17 12:05:08

I love food; new tastes, new recipes. Because I enjpy food so much, I am the main cook in our family.

DS is the main cook in his household.

Witzend Thu 16-Feb-17 12:19:56

My dh has hardly ever cooked. He always worked much longer hours than I did, so I didn't expect him to cook when he got home - very often quite late.

Now we're both retired we have what is IMO a very good division of labour - I cook, he clears up. I am quite a messy cook and he clears up better than I would usually bother with, so it suits me fine.
I'm only referring to dinner here - he always gets his own no-actual-cooking breakfast and lunch.

Linsco56 Thu 16-Feb-17 12:22:04

DH has never shown any interest in shopping or cooking, so it's all down to me but I quite enjoy cooking so really not a chore. He will make tea and coffee but that's about his limit.

I can't complain too much as he helps with all the housework and does the heavy duty gardening. And if I nag relentlessly, he'll take me out to dinner...so not a bad guy really!

NonnaW Thu 16-Feb-17 13:33:34

DH does all the main meals, makes a lot of soup for lunch and clears up afterwards. I do the baking, though he makes very good scones and rock cakes (we try not to have them too often!) he does all the breakfasts too, as I don't really eat much breakfast. He's also good at cleaning and ironing. I know I am very lucky with him.