Gransnet forums

House and home

New cooker

(22 Posts)
Meriel Mon 27-Feb-17 15:39:57

We are moving to a retirement flat and need to buy a new cooker. After 55 years of wedded bliss, i must change from gas to electric for the first time. I wonder if I could get views on the best type, ie ceramic hob v sealed rings, fan v standard oven. Would be grateful for any advice.

whitewave Mon 27-Feb-17 15:43:00

If it is a free standing cooker I would go for a ceramic. I've just had an induction hob installed so pleased with it but not sure if they come as part of free standing cooker.

Teetime Mon 27-Feb-17 16:01:53

I have glass hob and its lovely to keep clean and very responsive and cost effective to use.

cornergran Mon 27-Feb-17 16:34:35

We have a free standing electric cooker with an induction hob, it works well for us, speedy and easy to clean.

M0nica Mon 27-Feb-17 18:50:34

My newish cooker came with fan assisted ovens - and I hate them. Firstly, open the door when the oven is on and the fan sends a blast of hot air into your face. Secondly, with an ordinary oven the temperature gradient from bottom to top enables one to have something that needs fierce heat at the top of the oven, while warming or keeping warm, at a much lower temperature, another dish at the base. Fan oven means an even heat throughout.

phoenix Mon 27-Feb-17 19:34:16

I have just bought a new cooker for the kitchen at work. Went for the ceramic hob, as easier to clean than the sealed hot plate type, although I'm very cross that although it's only been in for a week, already there is a splodge on there that I'm struggling to get off. (BTW, cleaning is NOT part of my job, just thought I would give it a wipe over).

Double oven, the smaller one can be used as a grill or oven, is "normal" type, the larger oven is fan assisted.

I noticed that the large oven has been used, stuff spilt and deposited on the floor of the oven, not wiped off and the racks already have gunge on them.

Grrrrrr!

My oven at home is also ceramic hob, small oven, large fan assisted oven. No problems, apart from my glasses steaming up when I check on the progress of things.

When opening it, I now adopt that exaggerated "look away" thing that some cashiers do when you are entering your pin number.

Glasses don't steam up, but sometimes crook my neck something awful if I do it too quickly!

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 19:39:21

I have had the glass top type of hob for ages now ( really easy to clean) usually a wipe over, and for any spillages that won't clean easily order Cerapol online, it's an Aussie product and is wonderful.)
Also had fan ovens for a long time too, can hardly remember one that isn't.Just remember it seems to be hotter, so reduce the heat slightly for cooking.

Iam64 Mon 27-Feb-17 19:43:39

I haven't liked using modern electric hobs in the homes of friends or holiday cottages. I have a gas hob and love it.

I do have an electric fan oven, it's great. You don't have to use the fan assisted oven, can just use the oven without the fan if that's what you want. I find the electric oven a real improvement on my previous gas ovens. I never thought I'd say that.

mumofmadboys Mon 27-Feb-17 19:47:47

I love my fan assisted oven. Lower the temp by 20 degrees.

Greyduster Mon 27-Feb-17 19:52:52

I am on my second fan oven and have been very pleased with both of them. I do a lot of cooking and baking and I think a fan oven stays cleaner. Mine is built in, but if you need a freestanding one and you can get one with an induction hob they have much to recommend them.

SueDonim Mon 27-Feb-17 23:21:30

I have a free-standing cooker with induction hob. I love it and won't go back to gas! Mine's a Bosch but this one is from Hotpoint. www.tesco.com/direct/hotpoint-ultima-electric-cooker-with-electric-grill-and-induction-hob-hui612-p-white/623-8952.prd?skuId=623-8952&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-tesco-_-623-8952&gclid=CMOzheC0sdICFZEW0wod40AI_w&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has two ovens so I assume at least one can be used without a fan. Personally, I like the fan oven, though.

Nansypansy Tue 28-Feb-17 06:40:19

I replaced my cooker last year and went for one with an induction hob ..... it's great!!! Yes, I've had to replace some of my saucepans etc. But it was about time anyway. So easy to clean - far easier than ceramic.

grannypiper Tue 28-Feb-17 07:17:24

Have you thought about one with a top oven/grill and main oven, the top oven is fantastic if you only need to use one shelf and it saves having to bend down so far !. I only use the main oven once a fortnight when doing a roast.Think of the money you will save not having to heat a whole big oven.

Welshwife Tue 28-Feb-17 08:17:06

I had a belling electric cooker with a ceramic hob - absolutely loved it. I used it for20 years and did need to have an element in the big oven renewed twice but my son or OH did the job and no problem. Mine was a dark one and still looked good when we moved and left it in the house. I went back to a cooker with a gas top and two electric ovens - was sorry I chose the gas top!
Here in France I have a gas cooker which runs on propane - it is a pain in the butt - you cannot get the oven to remain at a low temp - we chose a gas one because at the time we suffered a lot of electric cuts but that has now improved. I now have a halogen oven to use some of the time but the drawback with my one is it will only remain on for a max 1 hour.
Baking is MUCH better in an electric fan oven - sponges are far lighter.

Liaise Tue 28-Feb-17 08:58:56

I also had one of those Belling cookers with the ceramic hob. It was very good. In our current house we have an induction hob and fan oven, which are excellent, built into the work surface. I have difficulty understanding the digital dials on the oven as it seems to do everything except start world war 3! As a previous poster said you can use the fan or not. I always do. It seems to cook food more evenly. My mother cooked on a coke fired Rayburn many years ago and the food tasted wonderful. You can imitate that by cooking slowly in a cast iron pot.

Lona Tue 28-Feb-17 09:22:25

Meriel I read somewhere, not sure, last week, that induction hobs can have a negative effect on pacemakers, so if either of you have heart problems I would do some research before buying one of those.

Greyduster Tue 28-Feb-17 10:13:43

That's true Lona. I had forgotten about it! You are supposed to keep a distance of about two feet (I think) between you and the hob if you have a pacemaker.

Meriel Tue 28-Feb-17 13:47:27

Thank you Rosesarered. This is very helpful, especially re the cleaner!

Meriel Tue 28-Feb-17 13:48:38

Thanks Iam64. Unfortunately no gas in the building.

Meriel Tue 28-Feb-17 13:51:34

Thanks Lona. I read that too but luckily it doesn't apply to us.

Meriel Tue 28-Feb-17 13:53:48

Thank you all for your advice. I have found it all very useful. Think I will go for an induction hob with a double oven, most likely fan if I can turn the fan off if necessary.

Norah Tue 28-Feb-17 16:18:01

I have a Bertazzoni induction hob that I love. uk.bertazzoni.com/