Gransnet forums

House and home

New hip?

(23 Posts)
nannypiano Thu 02-Mar-17 13:06:09

within the next couple of months I have got to have a hip operation and it is looking increasingly likely that I won't have anyone to help me after returning home. Has anyone else been in this situation and will I be able to cope alone? Any help with my question would be very comforting as I am beginning to lose sleep about it. Thanking you in advance.

minimo Thu 02-Mar-17 14:28:46

Hello nannypiano. I'm sorry to hear this and I do hope the operation goes well and your recovery is quick and not too painful. I'm afraid I haven't been in this situation before but I would mention it to your GP and the consultant at your next appointment. This must happen all the time so there must be some sort of service available. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable and helpful will come along shortly and steer you in the right direction but in the meantime flowers.

Luckygirl Thu 02-Mar-17 14:33:34

I would not have wished to be on my own after my surgery - I had a lot of help from OH (he was fitter then) and from the rest of the family. Our house was not very suitable for getting around on crutches - internal steps and very steep access. I think you should discuss this with GP and with the staff at your pre-op assessment.

tanith Thu 02-Mar-17 14:40:13

Hi nannypiano snap!! I'm due my second hip surgery in the next 2/3 mths and it will be hard to manage alone for the first week or so especially if you have stairs to cope with. I agree speak to your GP or hospital about it, they should ask some questions when you go for your pre-op checks and one of the questions if 'who do you live with?'. They'll also ask if you have stairs in your home?
If you have any more questions ask away..

cornergran Thu 02-Mar-17 14:57:28

I don't know what you will think of this. A friend recently had a knee replacement, she lives In the North, her family are in the South. Her solution was to book a space in a care home for two weeks after discharge. It was one she is familiar with and knew to be relaxed and well managed. It worked for her.

Stansgran Thu 02-Mar-17 18:44:45

Our "hip factory" has a convalescent ward for people who live on their own. Worth asking if this is available where you are.

Stansgran Thu 02-Mar-17 18:46:57

I wished I had thought of my DH's fishing vest. I needed pockets for all the random pills and stuff one needs and it would have been ideal.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Mar-17 18:52:29

I would have found the first week pre-op difficult without the help of my DH but it would not have been impossible. You would need to make sure you have a 'grabber' for picking things up off the floor and for helping you put on knickers and trousers. There is also a device for putting on socks which would be very useful. They won't let you out of hospital until the physios are confident you can get upstairs so you need not worry too much if you don't have a downstairs loo. You might find you worry about falling in the early days (I know I did) and also about changing your dressing and getting the nasty stretchy stockings on and off, so I think the care home idea is a good one if you can afford it.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Mar-17 18:52:51

I ean POST-op, of course!

NotTooOld Thu 02-Mar-17 18:53:14

......and MEAN not EAN. I'll shut up now.

tanith Thu 02-Mar-17 18:53:40

I found a soft shoulder bag was very handy so I could put 'stuff' in it I needed to move around the house but have my hands free for my crutches. I could carry a sandwich, fill a bottle of water and my book,glasses etc etc without difficulty.

GrandmaMoira Thu 02-Mar-17 19:07:51

When I had a hysterectomy I didn't have much help at home. I already had a fridge and kettle in my room and bought a kettle and toaster. I kept food in my room so I could have cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and ready meal for dinner. I bought disposable crockery and cutlery. This meant I could just stay upstairs when no-one else was around. Would you be able to do this? I kept the stockings on and didn't shower for the first week then stopped wearing them.

tanith Fri 03-Mar-17 08:50:14

I hope the OP comes back with an update.

EllenT Fri 03-Mar-17 11:13:31

Have had the same hip replaced twice now, once at 53 and again recently at 62. Both times DH was on hand and did a marvellous job. BUT with a good deal of careful organisation I could have managed alone if I'd had to - and indeed did so during the daytime after the first few days. As others have said, you won't be allowed home until you can cope with stairs. You'll need to have shopping delivered, of course, stock up on ready meals and think where you can put things so they're accessible without bending/twisting/reaching/too much walking, as GrandmaMoira suggests. The grabber and sock thingy are useful. Also an apron with pockets or shoulder bag for bits and pieces. Elastic stockings are a pain though, and you might have to live with keeping them on for a few days. They can be washed down with you in the shower when you're up to it! Everyday life will be very slow for a while, but possible. I do wonder though whether GP practices still have a district nurse or similar who could visit? Hope all goes well and thinking of you flowers

watermeadow Sat 04-Mar-17 18:30:34

Mine was ages ago and the worst thing of all was having my house transformed into a geriatric home with all the aids and adaptions, which I could'nt get taken away afterwards.
So you will be asked about help available and given lots of hideous equipment. I'd say you definitely need someone with you for a week. There are many things you can't do for yourself in the early days after your op.

annsixty Sat 04-Mar-17 19:38:02

I had my knee done 7 months ago and didn't have the stockings just did the stomach injections for 15 days, which was so much better. I was only in hospital for 3 days and did need some help for a few days but it wasn't too difficult and another couple of days in and I would have coped .
Good luck when it happens.

Kaddy1 Sun 05-Mar-17 08:25:47

Hi Nannypiano, I've had both mine done and while having help during the evenings I spent long periods by myself during the day. I agree with everything that's been said but would add that I was given a extra pair of crutches by a friend and had one parked at the top of the stairs so I didn't have to carry one up with me, the other one that I normally used would be waiting for me at the bottom. have your mobile with you all the time so if you do need to get help its always where you are. Good luck.

Nannarose Sun 05-Mar-17 13:03:21

As you never know how the recovery is going to be, I do think you should plan for a few days help. Not looking after yourself propery in that first critical week can cause recovery to take longer.
If all goes well and you are well organised (definitely get the 'hip kit') then after a few days, you'll be fine.
Not knowing your financial situation I'd suggest:
The kind of care suggested by stansgran (haven't come across this in years!)
cornergran's idea of a week or two in a nursing home
or consider going to a care agency, hire a cleaner, and get a carer calling in - initially 2 x 2 hours a day, then gradually winding down
whatever you decide, if you can possibly afford it, get a cleaner for a month or so, as proper cleaning involves the kind of bending & twisting that is not good for you; also, if family / friends are calling, you will feel better if the house is clean, and they can help by sorting out oddments for you, heating up a meal, rather than hoovering!
also, take your rehab very seriously, do exercises religiously and increase what you are doing gradually & persistently

Grandma2213 Mon 06-Mar-17 00:43:15

I was on my own most of the time after my hip operation. Before I left the hospital they asked if there would be someone to care for me and I must admit I told a little white lie to get home.

In fact DS called in before work and made sure filled kettle, tea bags etc were ready on a small table in the living room in the morning. I had a supply of salad type ready meals in the fridge and a series of small tables, high stools etc between living room and kitchen so I could place cups, plates etc down when using crutches. I used a rucksack to take everything I needed up and downstairs at night and in the morning (including my mobile phone). They make sure you can go up and down stairs before you leave the hospital.

Other DS used to make an evening meal for me the first week. DIL and DSs used to help with stockings. Those are the only two things I could not have done without help.

If you are on your own you don't really need to clean in my opinion but definitely do the recommended exercises as often as you can and don't take any risks.

I used the grabbers for filling and emptying the washing machine and could hang washing out. It was very slow so you have to accept that you take your time. I also had a stand up wash as I could not get into the bath at first. Again very time consuming but then you have plenty of that in the first few weeks of recovery!

Don't be afraid to alert neighbours and friends. People will always help if they know. One neighbour used to bring in my milk if she saw it on the step and friends would cook meals and bring them in cartons for me. I have done it for friends too so it's no big deal!

Other posters have made great suggestions so do what is best for you. I know that after the first few weeks things get better and better. The operation was the best decision I ever made and I am now more active than I have ever been!
Good luck.

Jane10 Mon 06-Mar-17 07:53:44

I echo all of the above (but I had a knee replacement). I'd add one suggestion for the earliest days - wet wipes! I found very good 97% water ones for babies (!) in Boots. At that point having a shower would have involved me clambering into the bath which was frankly unimaginable.
Good luck. Don't expect too much too soon. Time does pass and you'll soon be back to a much less painful normal!

carpedeum Fri 12-May-17 10:25:21

Hi Nannypiano, I had a complete new hip one week ago.The occupational therapist is your friend and can organises a whole raft of help with social services.
All kinds of aids, perching stools,toilet seats, little trollies, crutches. District nurses for dressing. In my London area I could have a lady come in Daily for six weeks, free, to help with most things you cannot manage. Listed to the physics and DO the exercises. Everyone has been so kind. I had no idea what help was out there.
Certain well known charities will send walkers, as you improve. Good luck, it's not so bad.

TriciaF Fri 12-May-17 17:01:21

I had a hip replacement 10 years ago, and had husband to help. But really I could have managed everything on my own, except for driving. Which they banned for ?4 weeks.
No baths at all for ? 2 months, only showers. In case of slipping getting in and out?

tanith Fri 12-May-17 17:30:42

Well I'm 3+ weeks after my hip replacement and really couldn't of managed without OH to help me.
'carpedeum' I am also in Londo and would love to know how/where you found the free daily help? I wasn't offered any such thing.
I had my first physio app today and they were very happy with my progress my hip being already able to flex to 90* but no more of course. So I'm now booked for 6 wks of gym/physio sessions which is more than I expected.