Gransnet forums

House and home

Abandoned Shopping Trolleys!

(56 Posts)
norose4 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:02:08

My absolute pet hate is shopping trolleys being abandoned on the edge of the trolley park left half in half out, I can't leave them so push them neatly together, I'm considering ask the supermarket for a job ! Am I alone or do others hate the same or similar.?

Charleygirl Fri 07-Apr-17 12:11:17

I am a shelf tidier at my local Waitrose but the manager takes over when ever he sees me doing it, saying through gritted teeth that he will do it instead.

We do not have to put coins in the trolleys, they are free so are dumped anywhere after use.

Elegran Fri 07-Apr-17 11:39:14

It works, though. It must be a low voltage wire laid underground which applies a brake to the wheels, or some such thing.

rosesarered Fri 07-Apr-17 10:56:08

The boundary brake thing is just guff ! They are not sophisticated machines, just trolleys.grin

rosesarered Fri 07-Apr-17 10:52:52

I thought the trolleys in rivers/canals would stop once you need a pound coin to get at them?

rosesarered Fri 07-Apr-17 10:51:32

Esspee grin

Esspee Fri 07-Apr-17 07:06:21

I not only tidy trolleys, and shelf stack but remove weeds as well. Neighbours love me stopping for a chat as I unconsciously tidy their garden whilst there. I am not OCD hmm

narrowboatnan Thu 06-Apr-17 19:27:29

For those of us who live on and travel by boat, shopping trolleys in our canals are an absolute nightmare. You can't see them lurking below, but you know when you've gone over one because you feel the boat bumping. Some of my fellow Boater's have been unlucky enough to have their propellers fouled by them, which often means the expense of getting the boat taken out of the water to get it off and effect any necessary repairs. These 30 trolleys were hauled out of the canal in Manchester. It's not usually irresponsible shoppers, but youths with nothing else to do but to have 'fun' with them.

Blinko Thu 06-Apr-17 09:35:18

I'm a trolley tidier and also a shelf stacker/tidier. My OH despairs....

Grandmama Wed 05-Apr-17 21:17:57

Why do people leave rubbish in trolleys? And why do people who take a trolley and find rubbish in it toss the rubbish into another trolley? There's a rubbish bin in the entrance,for heaven's sake. I often see customers shoving their empty trolley in more or less the right direction. I shop at Waitrose, by the way. Also - what is the protocol when I want a newspaper and someone is engrossed in reading it on the stand, obviously not going to buy it.

Yorkshiregel Wed 05-Apr-17 18:15:34

I was working as a Red Cross nurse in our town when they were clearing the canal so it could be used by canal boats once again. You would be amazed at the number of supermarket trollies that had to be hauled out. Left there by shoppers who had walked them home full of groceries.
I think the supermarkets should have a token system where if you take back the trolley you get a few pence in return. That would stop people walking away with them. Nice little earner for children who want some pocket money.

starlily106 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:17:07

Just a few weeks ago I got to the taxi waiting area at my local Sainsbury store just in time to see a trolley which had been left standing by itself roll away, tip off the curb, and smash into a very new taxi, resulting in a damaged panel. It would have taken the person who left the trolley about 20 seconds to push it into the row of trolleys already there.

clareken Wed 05-Apr-17 15:54:59

It may be worth having a read of Sir Terry Pratchett's book called Soul Music. All those shopping trolleys!!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 05-Apr-17 13:13:32

My local'extra' are to be commended on a neat and tidy 'trolleys in the bays and packed away' car park
They will also when asked find you a guy who will push your laden trolley to your car and take your trolley away.Tips are optional but well worth it with my bad back.

Stella14 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:09:07

I'm with you Ilovebeigecardigans1955 ??????

Stella14 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:06:20

I have always taken the position highlighted by Whitewave. Years ago I left one to the side of my car and some old guy (I was in my 30s) shouted "are you just going to leave that there"! I told him that if everyone took his approach, there would be no jobs for people who needed basic work. He was taken aback and I could almost see the wheels in his brain going around. Why do you think so many shops have replaced their previous design with those that require a token or pound coin? Why do you think it's cheaper to buy a cinema ticket online? Have you noticed the lack of staff in cinemas now?

Sheilasue Wed 05-Apr-17 12:04:55

I always end up taking some back when I take my own back, which annoys my h.so lazy some people

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:03:45

May I add another beef? I'm a fairly keen gardener and so I notice growing things. On a bus route I saw out of the window a new flowerbed full of roses, etc. The tall-ish grass hadn't been mown and the dandelions were even taller. It looked so damn scruffy - we wouldn't let our gardens get like that but it seems to be acceptable on municipal land. Also rubbish not swept up properly. Add the aforementioned shopping trolley and it looks like urban decay. Do I sound like Victor Meldrew?

inishowen Wed 05-Apr-17 12:02:46

We have an elderly neighbour who is obsessed with wheely bin tidiness! On bin day he marshalls all the bins in a neat row. When they've been emptied he spends ages lining them up neatly against a wall. I think he may have OCD because the lining up has to be really perfect before he can walk away!

paulinecnd Wed 05-Apr-17 10:24:19

My pet hate talking about supermarket trolleys is people who let children with outdoor shoes travel in a trolley. Children who are really too old to be in a trolley and are putting their dirty shoe soles where clean shopping goes.

Veda Wed 05-Apr-17 09:56:22

I dislike that "ing" seems to have been put into Room 101. I would put "in" into that room along with the word "like" & "would of" instead of "would have".

annodomini Wed 05-Apr-17 09:26:42

I remember when a nearby Lidl store, which had only large trolleys, introduced smaller ones which I appreciated as I'm a one-person household. Then they disappeared and I asked why. They said it was a mystery, but it seemed that some people who came by bus managed to get the trolleys on board and take them home! They blamed 'little old ladies'. As if! grin

Auntieflo Wed 05-Apr-17 08:26:59

I don't know, as I haven't tried it out, but was told that if you wheel/push your trolley backwards through the barrier, it will continue onwards to your destination. In our town,we have a lady who lives very near Waitrose, and has adopted her own trolley, using it to trundle backwards and forwards, and deliver donations to our charity shop.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 16:22:12

Oh, come on, Bags rhat would take joined-up thinking. now you have reminedme, the bus stop is in the other direction and round a corner. There is a trolley shelter at the foot of half-a-dozen steps leading up to the pavement at the edge of the cvar park. It is always overflowing with abandoned carts at all angles. The boundary waifs are on the pavement at the other end near the copshop, with a trolley park at the other side of a shrubbery which could easily have a shelter built into it at the pavement side.

I don't think they are left by the PCs when they pop into Tesco's for their sandwiches and sticky buns, more likely people who live in the houses further along the high street, or maybe workers from the Gov offices a couple of hundred yards along.

thatbags Tue 04-Apr-17 15:50:45

You'd think Tescos would have thunk to put a trolley park just where people heading for the bus-stop abandon their shopping transport.

I've always wanted to test the boundary brake thing too but haven't been brave enough grin. And I want to know how it works.

Elegran Tue 04-Apr-17 12:08:48

I am not blushing for leaving out an e in Tesco too. You know which supermarket I mean.