Gransnet forums

House and home

Smelly washing machine!

(64 Posts)
Katek Thu 13-Apr-17 11:15:59

It's not smelling too good at all! Tried 90 degree wash with bleach but it only helped for a while, then tried a proprietary washing machine cleaner and I think it now smells worse! Any tips ladies?

CassieJ Thu 13-Apr-17 11:19:27

I use Soda crystals and a very hot wash. Seems to do the trick.

Crumble Thu 13-Apr-17 13:22:16

Mine did this until someone told me to stop using fabric softener. I now put a bit of vinegar in the softener drawer - it doesn't make your washing smell like a fish and chip shop, I promise! Though if you're worried, you could always put a few drops of lavender oil in too. No smells now I'm happy to say.

J52 Thu 13-Apr-17 13:55:22

Belts an d braces! I used soda crystals, white vinegar and a hot wash on our old one. ( built in with the house and smelt disgusting)
It worked a treat, only for the machine to break down a month later!

Auntieflo Thu 13-Apr-17 16:11:57

Katek, I should follow Crumble's advice, and ditch the fabric softener. Also , try using soap powder instead of liquid soap, if that is what you use. The fabric conditioner dispenser drawer in my washing machine, got very discoloured, mouldy looking, when using the conditioner. So now I never use it at all, and always use soap powder. Result, no smells at all.

vafanculo Thu 13-Apr-17 19:33:49

I think its the liquid soap that causes problem smells. All of the above will help if you try each one in turn you will definitely get rid of the smell and using soap powder will ensure it never comes back.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 19:38:54

I was told never to use softener or the drawer, using in the drum liquid. And leave the door slightly open when not in use. Not had a problem since doing this.

farmgran Thu 13-Apr-17 22:58:45

I read somewhere that a cup of cheap mouthwash put in an empty machine with hot water kills the bacteria. I haven't needed to try it myself as since I ditched the front loader and bought a top loader I haven't had any problems!

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Apr-17 06:17:01

I can believe that farmgran as I read somewhere that Listerene was first developed as a bathroom sink cleaner. I tried it and it works wonderfully well!

cornergran Fri 14-Apr-17 06:56:44

Mr C blasts the washing machine drawer with a steam cleaner now and again, no black gunk dares to form! We use in the drum liquid, very old machine and so far no smells. Probably famous last words grin.

thatbags Fri 14-Apr-17 07:07:29

Yep, soda crystals and hottest wash. It might need several if there's enough build up to cause a pong. Then always do certain items (e.g. bedding, towels) in a hot soda wash and the build up won't hapoen.

thatbags Fri 14-Apr-17 07:09:19

Interesting about Listerine.

cherryblossom Fri 14-Apr-17 09:08:29

Having used Listerine for the first time as a mouth wash I can well believe it cures pongy washing machines it tastes revolting ??

LadyGracie Fri 14-Apr-17 09:11:06

Mine always smells after using the Hotpoint recommended cleaner, that is an understatement it stinks and takes weeks to go away!

nipsmum Fri 14-Apr-17 09:16:52

Definately no fabric softener. I use soda crystals and a very hot wash. It solved my problem and no more mouldy build up in the drawer.

LadyGracie Fri 14-Apr-17 09:21:41

It doesn't smell before I clean it, I had to call an engineer out, turned out the pump was clogged with detergent, he changed pump and advised that I put cleaning agent through every couple of months, I do it twice a year at most, but also use both liquid and powder detergent for different washes as recommended.

IngeJones Fri 14-Apr-17 09:22:13

Mine did too, and smelled worse after bleaching. In the end I found I can control it by doing one of its 95degree washes every 4 or 5 cooler washes and leave the door open after.

Swanny Fri 14-Apr-17 09:25:33

I always left the door ajar after use and, even though I used softener in the machine, never had the smelly problem. However, I was living alone and had no GC around to poke things in it or climb in themselves.

Since I moved I now share communal laundry facilities. Despite an assortment of powders, liquids, bleach and softeners being used at various temperatures, I have never noticed a smell from the large washing machine - but it is in almost constant use between 8am and 4pm each day!

Cindersdad Fri 14-Apr-17 09:28:17

We do a hot wash every so often and don't really get a problem with a smelly machine. Taking the drawer out and washing it helps, check and clean the filter every couple of months. Wipe round the drum and collar after every wash.

libra10 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:32:30

My ancient 10 + year old Bosch Maxx developed a smell. I ran Dr Beckmann through several washing cycles, and it seems to have done the trick.

I don't want to replace the machine as it has been so reliable, and in all those years never needed a service engineer to call.

MinniesMum Fri 14-Apr-17 09:32:35

I had the same problem - the machine smelt as though there was something rather dead inside. I tried everything including soda crystals and bleach but no luck. A friend told me she had had the same problem and to stop using Lenor. That did the trick. I now use Waitrose essentials conditioner and there is no problem with that at all plus it is much, much cheaper.

sweetcakes Fri 14-Apr-17 09:33:15

After the last thread I stopped using the liguid gel capsules and went back to the powder haven't had a problem since, still use softnor and it never smells

sarahellenwhitney Fri 14-Apr-17 09:43:13

To prevent the smelly scum that builds up in areas you can't get at in a washing machine needs a minimum of attention EVERY time you use it not every now and then.

There are products on the market that do this and my favourite is an own brand from a well known hardware store
You can order online and get delivered unless you have this particular store in your own area.

Lewlew Fri 14-Apr-17 09:45:48

Take the detergent tray out and drop it in a bucket of boiling water and bleach, it's a hive of mould in most machines. Then clean the area where the tray fits, all the way to the back paying attention to the part above the tray (you may need a torch to see).

Also, the front seal/gasket collects lint and then builds up mould, so you have to pull that back and use a cloth to scoop that area out and then bleach with hot water there as well. Because the door fits so tightly, that is one of the worst places for the smellies to accumulate.

After a wash, leave the door open, do not close it, even if inconvenient. Close it when you are sure it's dry inside.

Because we do not regularly tend to use a hot wash cycle, mould grows behind the drum as well because of the low temp washing products.

Speaking from experience... we let several flats with washers and the young folk also tend to start a wash then go off to work, so it sits in there all day as well and their clothes then smell compounding the problem with the mouldy detergent tray.

We try to encourage them to start the wash when they come home from work, then take it out before bed and leave the door open. Even if you don't get a chance to put it on the airing rack...take it out and put in a laundry basket so the clothes can breathe fresh air!

Good luck! flowers

Poppy952 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:48:02

No fabric softener in machine
Only put liquid soap in a small ball container straight inside drum with washing never had this problem