Gransnet forums

House and home

Butler/Belfast sinks

(43 Posts)
tanith Thu 13-Apr-17 11:32:57

We are going to have a new kitchen in the next few months and just investigating things at the moment and deciding what/where and how its going to be. OH likes Butler/Belfast sinks and I admit they look so nice but I have a feeling not as practical as an 'ordinary'sink, at present I have a stainless steel with one and half bowls which is so handy when preparing veg. We just can't decide what to go with at the moment as I'm all for practicality and OH just likes the look they create.

So do you have one and do you find it practical? my Grandson (who will do most of the installing) thinks unless you have the granite work tops which we really can't stretch to they don't do well with the wood and certainly not laminate work tops.

Katie59 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:52:32

I had synthetic reconstituted worktop and stainless double sink and it still looks good 30yrs on, very scratch resistant and easy to clean.

Franbern Thu 16-Sep-21 08:56:42

I love the 1.5 sinks and would never go for a single sink. Not at all keen either on looks or utility of those big Butler sinks.

One of my neighbours has a moulded 1.5 sink in her kitchen, and this is what I will be looking for if I do get my kitchen re-done.

Kittye Thu 16-Sep-21 09:54:22

I love mine. I’ve had it for years and can’t find a fault with it. A good wash round it every day with soapy water, occasionally use barkeepers friend to remove any stains

sunseeker Thu 16-Sep-21 10:04:21

I had two in my last house, one in the kitchen and one in the utility room - and I miss them! They were so useful for soaking oven grills and trays for cleaning and pre-soaking stained clothing - don't understand the comments about scratches because mine had been installed for over 25 years and had no scratches, used a washing up bowl (or dishwasher!) so no problem with breakages. My current house has a stainless steel sink and drainer - which drives me mad. I clean it and as soon as I place anything on the drainer it has a mark on it - that is on the list of the things to be replaced at some point!

JaneJudge Thu 16-Sep-21 10:07:00

I love them and have had them previously but like someone above posted, they really are unforgiving and break a whole matter of objects smile

crazyH Thu 16-Sep-21 10:08:03

We used our old Belfast sinks as planters - very nice !

JannyR Thu 16-Sep-21 10:22:34

Thank you. Yes, knowing the issues with wooden draining boards I am having quartz worktops fitted. They will be behind the sink, up and over the window sill and of course the drainer grooves will be made. Just have to resolve the aching back and all will be well!?

MaizieD Thu 16-Sep-21 10:32:38

JannyR is looking for ideas for raising her washing up bowl as her Belfast sink is too low. Not more reminiscences of sinks we have known..

I'd suggest you get another washing up bowl, Janny, turn it upside down and stand the one you will be using on it. Would that make it high enough for you?

dragonfly46 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:46:10

We have a one and a half stainless steel sink with a waste disposal in the half. I find it invaluable.

JMAH Sun 27-Feb-22 15:38:18

Thanks to all. As someone earlier commented I know these are old posts but they are still useful. I am looking to have a new kitchen in a few months time so am digging around for unbiased opinions. Any more?
Jalimal108 your comments made me smile (baby one especially) and remember!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 27-Feb-22 17:46:32

I really like them and have had them in my last two houses, using a plastic washing up bowl in them to avoid scratches. I also had a drainer (with undertray) which I got from Lakeland so as not to spoil worktops.

When I got my present kitchen revamped I didn't ask for another one due to lack of space and really regret it.

Shandy57 Sun 27-Feb-22 17:53:54

I loved my Belfast sink as it was so huge. I bought a mesh protector for it, a friend warned me she'd chipped hers.

Shandy57 Sun 27-Feb-22 17:54:59

Oh a zombie post! I didn't notice. What did you end up with tanith?

LOUISA1523 Sun 27-Feb-22 21:09:13

We have one in the utility....Great for washing the dogs paws....or cleaning paintbrushes etc.... in the kitchen we have a speckled composite sink.

jeanie99 Wed 02-Mar-22 22:53:04

I have a Blanco double bowl Silgranit sink, it's the best sink I have ever had. It's been installed 7 years now and doesn't have a mark on it. After use I clean and buff up with a cloth, done.

I've been married 52 years and over that time have had every type of sink on the market.
Stainless steel are the worst and scratch from day one. If you don't mind that they do last a long time
Enamel sinks chip and go dull with age.
Belfast sinks, too low and chip, take up good cupboard space, damage wooden worktops.
If you live in a limescale area, composite sinks can be a nightmare.
Don't just go for style when purchasing sinks,ovens,fridges, freezer. These purchases cost hundreds of pounds and it all adds up with the addition of a completely new kitchen.
Your appliances need to meet your needs, be practical, easy to clean and service and won't need to be replaced in a couple of years.
I had my kitchen replaced 7 years ago bought from Wren Kitchens.
Five years later I had a problem with several doors, the wrap was lifting off.
Because I had a 25 yr guarantee with the kitchen and fitting all the doors and anything that could be seen was replaced. I couldn't believe they would do this.
I had a choice of any of the kitchen they were selling.
They were absolutely fantastic and it didn't cost us a penny.
When you purchase your kitchen ask the supplier what their after purchase service is and get it in writing.
Best of luck, hope you find a fab kitchen.

giulia Thu 03-Mar-22 08:49:16

I don't even know what a Belfast sink is but have you noticed in all those American films?! They have shiny kitchen islands so big you could skate on them with just the tiniest round hole for a sink! How do they wash oven trays, racks etc.? If the answer is that they don't cook in their ovens, why have an oven?

Cybermonster Fri 06-May-22 19:37:31

I used to have a Belfast sink and really liked it, although it wasn't very practical. Then I got married for the second time to a man from a fairly well-off family and we were able to afford more expensive repairs. We bought the Aquatica sink from here: www.aquaticausa.com/category/decorative-bathroom-sinks . I didn't think it would be very comfortable, because in my opinion such things should be comfortable, not pretty. But my husband insisted and we got it. It was the best choice of my life. It's now 7 years old and doesn't have a scratch on it. Of course, it's quite expensive, but it's worth it.