Gransnet forums

House and home

Hobs

(19 Posts)
Izabella Wed 19-Apr-17 18:14:50

Advice please. Our hob requires replacement and we are looking at various options. The fave so far is a large induction hob with side gas burner plus wok burner. We have frequent electricity outages so need dual fuel. Has anyone purchased anything like this please? This will be a huge outlay for us and we need to get it right.

suzied Wed 19-Apr-17 18:31:26

Yes we have a Siemens domino hob with an induction hob combined with a 2 ring gas hob, one is supposed to be a wok burner. To be honest, we hardly ever use the gas rings as the induction hob is so good. It's much easier to clean than the gas bit and I think it spoils the clean lines of the kitchen. I would be happy to get rid of the gas hob. We only got it because my OH, who does most of the cooking, insisted, but even he now admits the induction hob is much better.

Tizliz Wed 19-Apr-17 18:39:47

I wouldn't be without my gas hob, 4 days without electricity - it was used for heating the kitchen as well as cooking on. I have a range cooker with 5 gas rings, two electric rings, electric grill, two main ovens and a slow cooker/plate warmer. Must admit it is a bit over the top when there is just the two of us.

vampirequeen Wed 19-Apr-17 20:57:17

I don't have anything like that but I would suggest you get a hob with knobs. You have to press part of my hob to make it work and it's a nightmare. You can't turn up or down quickly and if it feels that way inclined it refuses to acknowledge you're even pressing.

I feel gutted for my landlord cos he's lovely and likes to put the best stuff he can in the house. It cost him £600 and tbh it's rubbish.

janeainsworth Wed 19-Apr-17 21:55:08

My hob doesn't have knobs and I love it for that reason! No grimy things to keep clean. You just press to switch on then press again to activate whichever burner you want.
It's halogen(I think), heats up very quickly and is as easy to control as DD's gas hob.

suzied Thu 20-Apr-17 05:10:50

The induction job is great - no knobs. Not hard at all, easy to control and clean. The gas bit does have traditional knobs which are harder to switch on , you have to hold them in exactly the right place and pressure to light, and more difficult to clean.

vampirequeen Thu 20-Apr-17 07:16:25

I must have a naff version lol.

goldengirl Thu 20-Apr-17 11:05:46

If I had the opportunity to purchase a new hob I would have gas. I've had electric for years but have in my yoof had gas - speedy and easily adjustable. I do like an electric fan oven though.

Nannarose Thu 20-Apr-17 11:15:19

I love my Miele induction hob.
I had long wanted a gas hob for all the reasons above, but for 40 or so years was in an area without gas. When time came to think again, I had actually stayed a few months in a house with gas hob that I could not get down to 'simmer', and so I tried a friend's induction (actually a Siemans) and decided to go ahead.

My hob goes from very gentle simmer to fast boil easily and is very easy to keep clean. We have camping gas (see another thread!) for the odd outage.

We also thought that as we were doing a kitchen for the rest of our lives, that safety was an issue.

It was a bit sad getting rid of 2 pans that I could no longer use, but kids quickly snaffled up the ancient copper saute pan and aluminium stock pot.

LadyGracie Thu 20-Apr-17 11:53:26

Gas job with electric oven, I wouldn't ever change

SueDonim Thu 20-Apr-17 12:22:57

Induction hob with a small gas hob for power outages sound ideal. I changed from gas to induction about 8 years ago and will never return to gas.

Willow500 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:19:33

We just changed from gas to induction in Dec - its great and so easy to keep clean - its also less risk of the cats setting fire to themselves when they just up there grin

Craicon Thu 20-Apr-17 22:37:02

Induction is quicker and cheaper to run than a gas hob.
You can boil water in a pan on the hob as quick as boiling it in a kettle.
It cleans so easily with no scrubbing. I accidentally let some milk boil over a few weeks ago as I was briefly distracted. The spill wiped off cleanly straight away and I heated a fresh batch a minute later.
Also, when you turn it off, there's no residual heat so you don't have to lift the pan off the hob to stop it boiling over.
The chap demonstrating in the store put a tea towel on the hob and a pan of cold water on top. It heated up very quickly but the towel underneath the pan wasn't warm at all. My husband was sold!
Only downside is it beeps at you if you cover the touch panel with anything.
It's like comparing gas lamps to led lights. grin
I have a camping gas stove for emergencies which is rarely used.

Greyduster Fri 21-Apr-17 12:44:19

Induction every time. Very fast, very clean, no contest. Wouldn't have my gas hob back.

Greyduster Fri 21-Apr-17 12:46:23

And if you forget to switch it off (which I had been known to do with the gas job) it does it for you!

aggie Fri 21-Apr-17 13:12:23

I have ordered a new gas hob for the new kitchen , I had the induction hob whenthe present temporary kitchen was in process and did like it . I can have it back as it was a camping one and it is in under the stairs storage

overthehill Mon 24-Apr-17 13:28:50

Induction great I've had mine for nearly 8 years. Do not get one if you have a pacemaket fitted.

overthehill Mon 24-Apr-17 13:30:27

Sorry 'pacemaker'
Must learn to read thru before posting

Izabella Mon 24-Apr-17 18:29:33

Just thought I would pop in an update. We have a portable induction single hob which we will try and see if we want to go down this road. Going to the city tomorrow to source a whistling kettle too. How cool is that?