Gransnet forums

House and home

Ideas for a cheap kitchen update

(52 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 28-Apr-17 16:23:19

The budget currently does not allow for a new kitchen BUT our current one is looking so tired. Has anyone painted their kitchen cupboards before with any success - and do you have any tips? Or any other ideas for uplifting a tired old kitchen? Am planning on painting our very yucky-coloured tiles in a neutral to start with...

gettingonabit Fri 28-Apr-17 17:22:35

I did it in a previous kitchen. Paint effects were very "in" at the time so I did a kind of blue wood effect with a kit. It worked!

The kitchen is still there, painted a different colour again. I don't live there now.

I'd definitely do it. Tile paint is really effective too. Mind you, I paint everything. There are some really good "craft" paints in B and Q.

In my rather grease-battered kitchen I've painted my old wallboards with Satin Paint and it looks much better. I've painted the walls in ivory (boring) but with a feature wall in graphic wallpaper (black and white) which you can colour in yourself. I've bought a long, leggy sideboard from BHF and painted that in yellow, to sit in front of the graphic wall. On that I have two tall lamps with bright pink shades. I like it!

Oh, and I have one of those black and white Ikea rugs. They seem to be the in thing at the moment, along with bright colours and an eclectic look.

I don't eat in my kitchen, though. Too narrow.

Nannarose Fri 28-Apr-17 17:25:34

Yes, my DH did this years ago when I was stuck in hospital, and we had only a little spare money.
He replaced all the kitchen unit doors - they were cheap & cheerful but my goodness it made a difference!

Newquay Fri 28-Apr-17 19:57:41

DH painted our kitchen cupboard doors a while ago as they were oak and are now cream. It transformed the room but took quite a few coats.

M0nica Sat 29-Apr-17 11:03:20

We painted our kitchen cupboards in an eggshell paint. That was about 10 years ago. We also replaced the door handles. These were not expensive and can be bought online or somewhere like B&Q.

Redecorate the kitchen and replace the blind/curtains and drying up cloths

Cherrytree59 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:07:00

New handles can help update a look
Also colour matching toaster/kettle and tea, coffee, sugar jars.
The range do nice reasonably priced matching microwave & kettles

Cherrytree59 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:10:07

I have also seen some kitchen cupboard doors spray painted by a car sprayer.
They had a lovely smooth finish

henetha Sat 29-Apr-17 14:04:56

Yes, this works. I'm not the world's best painter, but painted all my kitchen cupbard doors etc, and fitted new handles... what an amazing difference!

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:06:13

Do you have to do a lot of preparation before painting? Someone recommended 'dipping' them first but that would have to be done professionally I imagine.

silverlining48 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:35:43

My friend was in the same situation. she painted the tiles and the kitchen units adding new handles. It really looks good and now instead of getting a new kitchen, she has the extra money. Ask at a diy shop, there is special paint for cupboards , otherwise rub down, undercoat, and away you go.
Would not think dipping is necessary.

silverlining48 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:36:27

Meant to say special paint for laminate.

Auntieflo Sat 29-Apr-17 15:46:34

Back in the 80's I painted the formica cupboard kitchen doors with a wonderful paint branded by Woolworths. It was so hard wearing. I chose Mercury as a colour, very on trend grey now. When we had the kitchen refitted, I advertised and sold the units and the cooker. The new owners were delighted as they were solid wood units and the builder had removed them carefully for us.

LadyGracie Sat 29-Apr-17 15:53:46

We recently replaced our kitchen unit doors, replaced extractor fan and hood and redorated kitchen for less than £400.

downsized Sat 29-Apr-17 16:10:06

I have seen a few pictures of kitchens that have been re-vamped using chalk paint. It inspired me to use it on some old pieces of furniture made of dark wood. The results have been very pleasing, the chalk paint is easy to apply and you don't need to sand the wood beforehand. Just get painting grin

Norah Sat 29-Apr-17 16:10:22

We painted the kitchen cupboards in a holiday home at the sea. I think special care need be used near water for the paint to dry properly (time to cure coats and sunny drier day).

We washed all over with ammonium mixed to half with hot water. Then rubbed down with 0000 steele wool. Then washed with ammonium again and waited a day to totally dry. We painted 3 coats (extra days to dry and rub 0000 between coats) with quality kitchen satin. The interior, shelves, and the cupboards white and the door fronts various different colours of sea blues. The island is solid navy for a calming contrast.

Carefully cleaned, rubbed, and cleaned again and spray painted the old hardware and lighting bits to be "hammered texture" silvery. Lovely and has held up quite well.

To all the work involved do use the best quality paints.

LyndaW Sat 29-Apr-17 18:47:37

Goodness, I'm so inspired having read all these. gettingonabit your kitchen sounds lovely! And Norah, yours does too but it sounds like it was a lot of work. I'll be getting down to B&Q this week then and see what they recommend in terms of paint. Quite relieved to hear that other people have done it with such success. Knew gransnetters would have the answer. grin

gettingonabit Sun 30-Apr-17 07:22:41

Another vote here for chalk paint. I just painted an armchair with it! It takes a lot of paint, and you have to use wax, but I was inspired by the one on GBIDC a while back.

Glenfinnan Sun 30-Apr-17 09:21:16

We had a new sink, laminate kitchen tops and new unit doors. Didn't even have to empty the cupboards!! We used a company called Kitchen Magic but sure there are local companies too. Very pleased looks like a new kitchen!

Lindaloulabel Sun 30-Apr-17 09:37:15

Look on Pinterest lots of ideas and tips ....

lesley4357 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:39:39

I've successfully painted kitchen cupboards, it makes such a difference. The key is good preparation. You need to give them a good clean with sugar soap before doing anything else as no paint will adhere to grease. Go for it

nannypiano Sun 30-Apr-17 09:47:10

I recently had a new modern worktop, a expel air chimney in black, a new sink top and mixer tap and new fashionable floor laid. It came to around £1300,much cheaper than a new kitchen and definitely gave it a face lift. My kitchen is ten years old and was beginning to look outdated.

frenchie3 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:50:21

What is GBIDC to the ignorant please.

minxie Sun 30-Apr-17 10:12:44

You can get new work tops put over your old ones plus change cupboard doors without changing the carcass

Poly580 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:12:56

Sounds like a lot of work and paint isn't cheap. I want to revamp our utility and thought I might just replace the doors. They have some really nice reasonable once in Ikea.
Let's know how it goes

paddyann Sun 30-Apr-17 10:18:19

try covering your tiles with wallboards ,the ones you see in bathrooms ,they're not too dear and they come in some wood effects and Black and white .Gloss or matt .It transforms the walls and makes them look more up to date