Gransnet forums

House and home

Washer drier combo

(27 Posts)
Marian1412 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:37:04

Can anyone recommend a washer drier please?

harrigran Mon 26-Jun-17 18:48:19

I did not like mine, took too long to wash and dry one load. The most expensive white elephant I ever bought.

tanith Mon 26-Jun-17 18:58:30

I would never buy one as 'harrigran' says it simply takes too long to do just one load.

Lillie Mon 26-Jun-17 19:00:07

Not Siemens. Mine was useless, I had to take over half the wet load out if I wanted to tumble dry or the drum gave up.

grumppa Mon 26-Jun-17 19:13:35

DD had a Bosch that seemed OK. They become worthwhile when white goods and drying space is limited.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Jun-17 20:01:19

Washer/drier have been the ones that go on fire more thathe separate ones so I wouldn't buy one

Tizliz Mon 26-Jun-17 20:15:15

Don't agree bluebelle because the fluff goes out the outlet pipe, so no fire risk. I just have a cheap one and if I need to tumble I make the wash smaller. Which? Is a good place to look for recommendations.

LadyGracie Mon 26-Jun-17 20:49:52

I had one few years ago, a cycle took absolutely ages, I didn't keep it long.

phoenix Mon 26-Jun-17 21:09:12

I've got one, but don't use the dryer very often, and never ever go from wash to dry!

Usually do 2 wash loads (1 light, 1 dark) give each an extra spin, unless they are items that need ironing, then select items that I want to tumble dry.

Anniebach Mon 26-Jun-17 21:16:47

Never use the dryer on mine, takes ages and clothes still feel damp after drying cycle.

JackyB Mon 26-Jun-17 22:08:05

I had one when we were short of space when we first moved in together. Agree with everyone so far. Also they are extremely heavy. Someone asked this question only recently.

If you really have to get one, check the electricity consumption carefully compared to separate appliances.

Chewbacca Mon 26-Jun-17 23:52:42

When I updated my kitchen, I bought all new white goods, including a Whirlpool washer drier. Biggest waste of money ever. The drier takes so long to complete a cycle that it's too expensive to run it. Even then, the clothes come out steaming, not dry. Never again. I'd rather put wet washing outside on the line or even over a clothes maiden in front of the radiator.

Lillie Tue 27-Jun-17 07:31:02

I agree, Chewbacca, the clothes came out of the drier smelling sweaty at the end of drying.

Liz46 Tue 27-Jun-17 07:44:36

I had one. It was useless.

whitewave Tue 27-Jun-17 07:47:09

Mines a Meile and fine. I always prefer to line dry if at all possible, but I always put the towels through a short dry to fluff them.

Everything smells fine -I might add I only use softener for towels and then only occasionally.

I dry mostly in winter, but I can see no problem at all?

joannapiano Tue 27-Jun-17 08:44:12

I had a Bosch one. I hardly bothered with the dryer part because it took so long. It broke down after 4 years and the engineer I called out said that washer/dryers went wrong most frequently. I now have a separate Siemens washer that he recommended and a cheap tumble dryer that is very efficient.

mcem Tue 27-Jun-17 08:47:10

Happy with my basic indesit. I do exactly as phoenix does. Line dry whenever possible but like to have the dryer as backup. Never overload it so no problems with clothes still being damp.
When it conks out I 'll buy the same again.

rosesarered Tue 27-Jun-17 08:47:26

They are the worst thing you could buy.
DD had one ( not for long) it shrank an entire wash of her clothes ( the dryer ).

TwiceAsNice Tue 27-Jun-17 09:34:43

I have a Hoover Sensodry. Lots of programmes although I tend to use the hour long wash the most. It has a 1600 spin which leaves the clothes really spun dry before you put them in the dryer cycle. You can set the time between 30-120 minutes which works for all kinds of materials and set at low or high dry. It has lots of quick cycles for all kinds of clothes/materials as well. I love it and can recommend. I live in a flat so don't have room to have separate washing machine and dryer fitted.

whitewave Tue 27-Jun-17 09:38:14

Yes I can't understand the difficulties so many people appear to be having. My daughter also has a Meile and as far as I can see uses the dryer a huge amount (her time and energies are limited!) and bought this as a replacement for another one I can't remember what make. She does have room in her utility room, but chooses to use the space for storage instead.

Riverwalk Tue 27-Jun-17 09:48:47

I bought a Hotpoint WD last year - for the price, approx £350, it was a good buy and I've had no problems. Capacity: 7kg wash/5kg dry.

My only gripe is the 'fast' wash is 60 minutes.

glammanana Tue 27-Jun-17 09:55:35

We decided not to replace the one we had a few years ago,the motor went and so we lost two appliances in one go really,most washers have a good 1600 spin cycle and clothes come out near to dry most of the time.

Riverwalk Tue 27-Jun-17 09:55:53

My previous WD, Electrolux, was also a 'cheapie' compared to the likes of Miele and that lasted 13 years with only one repair, the belt.

devongirl Tue 27-Jun-17 10:27:51

Last rented propertry had new WD (Hotpoint, I think) - persuaded me never to buy one for myself! As others have said, unbelievably long cycle if you include drying, and there was always a pool of water in the bottom of the drum, so if you didn't whip the washing out smartish, it was still wet in places even after all that time! Dread to think how much the electricity cost...

whitewave Tue 27-Jun-17 10:34:50

It seems to me that like all appliances you have to be careful what you buy and do the research before doing so, as there is such a wide range of experiences just on washer driers.