Gransnet forums

House and home

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

(28 Posts)
blackmint Thu 03-Aug-17 10:58:14

I was walking around the supermarket today and started thinking about all the tinned food that is available. I don't really use many tinned foods except for tinned tomatoes and baked beans although I do remember we had a lot of tins in the cupboard when I was a child. So, I bought a tin of pineapple with the idea of making a crumble to follow Sunday lunch. I thought my grandson might like it. I haven't thought of making this for years. I wondered how may people here used tinned food and what was their favourite product.

Ilovecheese Thu 03-Aug-17 11:11:45

I use more tinned foods than I used to. have discovered tinned chopped onions so am hoping never to chop another onion. Also more tinned fruit because I find supermarket fruit to be so under ripe.
Also
Tinned tuna, tinned pilchards
Tinned corned beef
Tinned tomatoes

HildaW Thu 03-Aug-17 11:16:03

?????

Alima Thu 03-Aug-17 11:19:15

Think GNHQ will be able to change your thread title for you blackmint but not sure how you ask them.

We use tinned toms and sweet corn and DH likes baked beans. Also keep a couple of tins of curry in the cupboard for a quick meal with microwave rice when stuck. I had no idea you can buy tinned chopped onions, are they a similar price to the frozen ones?

paddyann Thu 03-Aug-17 13:17:30

tins of tuna,tomatoes,sweetcorn,cornedbeef tinned salmon , tins of beans kidney cannelini,black eyed,etc all great and quick.My OH used to like tinned potatoes for potato salad ,how his mother made it I usually have a fair selection of tins

jusnoneed Thu 03-Aug-17 13:26:13

Tinned tomatoes, spaghetti, beans, red kidney beans, butter beans. Tuna, salmon and crabmeat. Couple different fruits and always a can of pineapple for sweet and sour sauce. Coconut milk for curries.
OH likes creamed rice and I keep a tin of custard just in case I don't have milk to make some.

ninathenana Thu 03-Aug-17 14:47:51

I have a store cupboard full of tins.
soup, baked beans, toms, tuna, corndbeef, tinned fruit (H has it with icecream) tinned rice pud, currys and spag bol for emergencies.

PS. I use a Henry grin

gillybob Thu 03-Aug-17 15:06:28

Tinned custard for DGS and has to be ambrosia.
Tinned tomatoes
Tinned beans (Heinz)
A couple of tins of (poorly) soup
A couple of tins of chunky/tasty/spicy soup
Lots of Tuna
Coconut milk
Sweetcorn (again DGS who is the sweetcorn king)

That's it I think.

I have 2 Dyson's. One full sized that's too bloomin' heavy and one lightweight cordless that I love.

Greyduster Thu 03-Aug-17 15:26:21

A whole raft of tins:
Baked beans,
Red kidney beans
Green lentils,
Sweet corn
Tomatoes with and without herbs,
D'Aucy Mixed veg for making DH's favourite cheese and vegetable pie.
Tuna
Red salmon
Pineapple rings and mandarins
Sild in tomato sauce
Anchovies
A tin of Chestnut purée which needs to go in the bin
Condensed cream of mushroom soup

gillybob Thu 03-Aug-17 15:30:19

Oh I love tinned mandarins Greyduster I think I shall have to buy some on my way home.

Ilovecheese Thu 03-Aug-17 15:30:45

Morrisons tinned chopped onions are about 80p

Nanabilly Thu 03-Aug-17 15:39:51

Well that confuddled me !!
Firstly I have 2 Dyson Hoover's ..one large and heavy and one small and light weight.
Secondly we use pretty much the same tinned goods as others .
Tuna
Salmon
Pilchards
Beans
Tomatoes
Corned beef
Fruit for quick desserts
Some soup
Red kidney beans
In the good old days I can remember my parents pantry having tinned ham. A fruit cake with whisky .spam. Condensed milk .carnations milk. must have been the leftovers of a Christmas hamper.

paddyann Thu 03-Aug-17 19:07:56

I have Spam,condensed milk ,carnation milk too,not fruit cake though I buy my christmas puddings after christmas for the following year,I have about 6 or seven of various sizes and different makes

suzied Thu 03-Aug-17 19:25:41

I love my Miele vacuum.
Tins of tomatoes, chick peas, black eyed beans and mushy peas. Oh likes tinned soup (yuk)

Alima Thu 03-Aug-17 19:26:07

How could I have forgotten the big ish tins of ham! Always bought one at Christmas, just in case. The cats loved the jelly round the ham.

By the way, I thought my small Dyson was the bees knees until we bought our Gtech a couple of months ago, that wins hands down.

(Good idea having an unrelated thread title, keeps out any undesirables!)

JackyB Thu 03-Aug-17 21:09:41

I am so glad this isn't yet another discussion on vaccuum cleaners.

Just saying.

Now we are only 2 of us I like the mini-tins of peas or sweet corn which are useful in anything really - tonight I used a tiny tin of sweet corn to augment the shrimp curry I was making. A small tin of peas might go in a stew or even a potato salad. Otherwise, I don't have many tins in the cupboard. They're not quite as popular here in Germany.

Witzend Fri 04-Aug-17 10:57:26

Tins of beans, baked and kidney (for chilli), tuna, salmon (both for easy meals with pasta), an occasional Fray Bentos pie, for when I CBA to cook, small tin of corned beef, for a hash with fried onions, potatoes and cabbage, tins of Campbell's condensed mushroom soup, for the tuna/pasta dish. Little else. I don't buy tins of soup since 'dustbin soup' (my mother's expression for using up whatever you have) is a regular in this house in autumn/winter - always with lots of veggies.

As for vacuums, I have a big Dyson and a cordless ditto, and like a previous poster have hardly used the big one since I got the cordless. Though I do also have an old fashioned carpet sweeper, which is brilliant for just a few bits on the carpet.

Witzend Fri 04-Aug-17 10:59:42

Oh, I forgot small tins of sweetcorn, which go in my version of smoked haddock chowder.

goldengirl Fri 04-Aug-17 11:48:44

I don't use tins much except for baked beans to keep one of my GC particularly happy. I do have some tins eg custard 'just in case' but I keep forgetting they're there!!!

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Aug-17 14:18:41

We have loads of cans in our cupboard. Tomatoes, soup, sardines, beans (baked and other types) chick peas, green lentils, coconut milk. I could go on. I wouldn't get by without them.

As for vacuum cleaners, mine is a Bosch cylinder cleaner.

hildajenniJ Fri 04-Aug-17 14:24:17

Oh yes nanabilly, every Christmas my mother had to have a tin of "Ye Olde Oak Ham". I never remember it being anything special though.

shysal Fri 04-Aug-17 15:22:41

My MIL's idea of a special meal was tinned ham with tinned new potatoes and tinned peas - yuk!

LadyGracie Fri 04-Aug-17 19:25:47

Various tins, tomatoes, lentils, kidney beans, other assorted beans, sweet corn, mushy peas (I love mushy peas).

A Dyson rechargeable and a Miele cat and dog

LadyGracie Fri 04-Aug-17 19:27:24

Sudden thought - am I an undesirable?

Alima Fri 04-Aug-17 19:36:11

No Gracie, you are a Laydee!