Gransnet forums

House and home

Online grocery shopping

(112 Posts)
annsixty Sun 13-Aug-17 09:54:44

I have reluctantly decided that I must start having my groceries delivered. Most of my other needs are catered for online but I have resisted grocery so far to keep some independence, growing old is a b....r.
Are any of the supermarkets better than others?
Living where I do I will have a wide choice.
Does one tip the delivery man or not?
Do they leave it at the door or provide bags which are paid for?
I hope someone can give me pointers.

Flossieturner Mon 14-Aug-17 08:00:38

I have a monthly delivery of all the heavy stuff, but shop,for lighter fresh foods. This keeps me active and I like to select myself. Having said that, I have not had a problem when I have ordered fresh food.

Things to check
Look for cheap delivery spots, sometimes they are only £1 .
Check timings on special offers in case they expire before your delivery date.
I always tick the 'no subsitutes' for the whole shop.
I prefer no bags, the food is delivered in trays and quite often the driver offers to unpack. My system is to clear a place in the kitchen and unpack it onto the work surface myself.
I don't tip the driver.
I used to always check the food against the list, but I have never found a mistake so I don't bother now.

Charleygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 09:37:38

Morrisons send me an email a few hours prior to delivery to remind me when they are coming, the name of the driver and if I have any substitutions. I have never had any and I have been using them for many months now.

Ann it will really save on taxi fares- even if you go out say once a week to buy vegetables and fruit. My fruit and vegetables have been fine if a tad over packed on occasions.

blueberry1 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:02:09

I have been online grocery shopping for some years now and have tried them all.Definitely recommend Tesco,friendly,helpful drivers,rare to have any substitutions and no need for bags.They will bring the crates to your kitchen and unload onto worktops.
Iceland do free delivery over £30 but just leave the bags at the door.

radicalnan Mon 14-Aug-17 10:08:25

I have used it for years and love it.

If you are not well, flu or other lurgi it is a blessing to have a delivery of shopping and my mobility is so poor that I have deliveries once a month or so, of the stuff that is heavy to lug about, washing powder in big boxes of bulky things like toilet rolls, boring stuff like bottles of ketchup and tea bags, flour, sugar, dog food. For the small cost of delivery I save myself a lot of pain and they do seem to turn up however bad the weather is too.

Christmas orders can be a bit haphazard but I get things a couple of weeks before, and then just order any meat I need from lovely local butcher.

Amazon are going to be doing same day deliveries, so I expect others will follow with that as well.

Having the shopping brought into the kitchen for me means 2 lots of lugging the stuff about saved every shop, once into car, once out, when pain is your master it really is a boon.

I specify live alone and long use by dates, and they are happy to take stuff back if you don't l ike the look of it on the day.

It is a fabulous service for older or disabled people or even just busy people. You can have a delivery booked for when you get home from holiday or hospital.

I don't tip the driver, not sure they are allowed to accept it.

annsixty Mon 14-Aug-17 10:08:59

You have all been very helpful. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Jaycee5 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:11:01

I have only used Sainsburys and they are not bad. There is a problem with the fresh fruit and veg as it often near the sell by date or on the same day and often does not seem to be what you would pick off the shelf. Also the one thing that I decide to eat that day is often the one thing that is not available.
It does save lugging home heavy or bulky stuff though which, as I don't drive, can be a pain. For now though I have gone back to shopping personally as it forces me out of the house which sometimes I need.
You have the choice of bags which they charge for or just having the stuff loading in containers which they empty when they deliver. The delivery men have always been nice and helpful and on time. They don't complain about delivering to a first floor flat which some do. I don't tip them. They are usually in a rush to go and I have never felt that they expect a tip.

Willow500 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:12:13

I've used Tesco, Morrisons and Ocado and not had a problem with any of them. They've generally bring the bags to the door but have offered to bring them into the house as well. I chose not to do grocery shopping online really as it gives us somewhere to go every week (how sad!) but do a lot of other shopping online (too much probably). It's a great way to shop though it you are struggling to get out of the house and specially if you hate it!

albertina Mon 14-Aug-17 10:13:50

I have only used Sainsburys. Found them mostly excellent. When I injured my back they would bring the bags in and put them on a counter in the kitchen for me. Otherwise I just get them put in the porch and I move them into the kitchen.

If any substitutes are there I can decide whether I want them or not.

Delivery people nearly all friendly and helpful.

No shame in having stuff delivered to your home. We all need a bit of help from time to time as we get older.

grannymouse303 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:15:46

I've had home delivery from most major supermarkets without any major issues. Occasionally they'll forget something but nothing has gone terribly wrong.

Sometimes I like to order certain things from certain stores. It means I have to shop for things separately, but I'd rather do that because I know exactly what I want.

Have used Ocado a few times which has been good. I've also been ordering from Graig Farm Organics for a few months now and wouldn't go back to shopping for supermarket meat after that.

carpedeum Mon 14-Aug-17 10:21:11

Post hip operation, Iceland are perfect for me. Especially for heavy basics. I push my trolley around the store, present my store card and pay, ask for delivery time and it's often within a couple of hours. Minimum spend is reasonable, about £20. Bags are provided. Yes I do tip the driver, as I live in upstairs flat and he puts the goods right into the kitchen. This is a great service and I am delighted. One can also order on line. Go for it girls.

Thirdinline Mon 14-Aug-17 10:31:20

Thank you for your original post, Annsixty, I've learnt a lot about online supermarket deliveries from reading through everyone's replies and might try it myself as a result! I think Sainsbury should have a read, because they don't come out very well overall. Also, I feel we should complain if people who deliver are rude or unobliging. I'm sure that being customer-friendly must be in their job description!

margrete Mon 14-Aug-17 10:31:30

Don't worry about it.

To answer your questions, no you don't tip the delivery driver. Just be ready to open the door when you see the van pull up. They haven't a lot of time to spare, but if asked, will bring the crates of goods into the kitchen for you. I stand at the door and - it's never the same person - I say 'straight through to the kitchen and on to the kitchen table, please'. It's all packed separately, for the freezer, for the fridge, the fresh fruit/veg, and then the jars, bottles and cans.

DH resisted it for a long time saying he liked to go and see what there is. Yes, but, it defeated him with all the leg problems over recent months. Now he's gone back to going to Tesco but only for a few bits of fresh fruit or any other oddments. Carrying heavy bags from the car is beyond him.

We use Tesco, but we have used Ocado in the past. You book a delivery slot, they confirm by email and they send a text to say it will be delivered at such-and-scuh time.

I've always hated shopping. I get panicked by crowds of people e.g. supermarkets, motorway services, and online shopping is the best thing since, as they say, sliced bread.

vonnie52 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:31:42

First time posting here although I enjoy reading the posts. Just a quick tip if you are a first time online shopper at most supermarkets they have money off vouchers. For example on "Hotukdeals" there is a voucher for £18 of your first grocery shop at Sainsbury's on orders over £60. Just enter voucher code AFFVCAUG at the check out. I have not tested this one myself, so can not say it will work 100%. But there are lots of voucher codes on lots of different sites (not just Hotukdeals) and with a little time and effort you can save some money and try all the supermarkets and find the one you like best. Hope this is useful to someone.

Lupin Mon 14-Aug-17 10:32:59

I have online shopped for years and think it's a great service. My preference is for Ocado where substitutions are minimal and there are some really interesting choices.
They do good fish and meat from online counters as well. Good artisan bread too which is hard to find elsewhere. I prefer their fruit and veg - on a par with M&S.
Have rarely had a problem and if there has been one they refund immediately.
I lived in a house up a lot of steps before and now live in a 1st floor appartment - no lift- and they never quibble. and they are always pleasant and helpful.
I've used most of the online supermarkets and Ocado have the best stock control because they are not open to the public in the normal way.
Good luck with it - I hope you like it.

Faraway43 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:34:39

This has been very helpful, I've been having Asda delivery for over a year but looking to change as the substitutions have got rediculous and often not even close. Ocado sound good maybe give them a try - fingers crossed.

Belleringer Mon 14-Aug-17 10:39:45

I mostly use Waitrose. It may be a bit more expensive but there are always loads of offers and delivery is free at any time if you spend more than £60 - not difficult if you buy things like cleaning materials and toilet rolls ( and maybe a bottle of wine or two!). The drivers are always friendly and bring the crates into the kitchen. I've never had any problems with sell by dates or quality of fresh food. I did once think I was ordering 3 bananas and actually ordered 3 kilos! One year they had a problem with their computer at Christmas and warned me that my delivery might be late. In the event it was 3 minutes late and came with a bottle of champagne and a £25 voucher!

TwiceAsNice Mon 14-Aug-17 10:39:55

I have used Ocado for ages. They are excellent, lovely drivers who bring all the food in bags and put it in the kitchen for me, the bags go back the following week and the 5p charge is refunded, drivers often round up the figure so you get refunded for a couple of extra bags. Have had a few substitutions but they will always take them back and you are refunded immediately. I subscribe to their smart pass so pay £3-99 a month for as many deliveries as I want at any time and you get priority slots at Christmas. They will also deliver to another address, for example a holiday destination. I usually have a weekly order on the same day. There is a minimum £40 order but that is usually my basic shop and some weeks it is more when I buy things you dont need every week such as cleaning products or toiletries. They often have 3 for 2 or buy one get one free , or half price offers. Your bill tells you how much you have saved that week on the offers. They have a favourites list of what I always buy so easy to do that first and then build on extras. Easy site to navigate, app is much better than the website, easy to download onto phone or iPad, it is also easy to buy cards, presents, toys for the grandchildren, household items, etc. I only ever buy occasional items at the supermarket now, love my deliveries. Life is too short for food shopping, also find I impulse spend less on line so keep within my budget.

IngeJones Mon 14-Aug-17 10:40:02

They will usually put it where you ask them to. They won't just leave it on the doorstep as you normally need to sign for it. Sainsbury's and Asda are the worst at having missing things due to stock running out. Ocado is the best in this respect followed by Tesco. Tesco is usually on time these days, but Ocado drivers are being squeezed and often turn up half an hour or so late.

TwiceAsNice Mon 14-Aug-17 10:42:56

Strange you say that Inge I find my Ocado drivers are mostly early at the moment.

Rolande Mon 14-Aug-17 10:43:28

I can't imagine going to do a weekly shop in a supermarket anymore. 7 years ago my husband got ill, I became his full time carer and I couldn't go out much. So grocery shopping on line became the norm for me. I've tried them all and I find that Tesco gives the best service and value for money. I pay yearly for the delivery (can't remember how much) but you can do as many shops you want providing its £40. Their delivery people are friendly and very helpful. Once you start, no going back! Good luck and happy shopping!

tonibolt Mon 14-Aug-17 10:44:18

I like Waitrose and Ocado. Ocado's website tells you if something is going to be out of stock on your chosen delivery date, which means you have the opportunity to choose the replacement.

Asda I didn't like at all, I found the site very hard work. Tesco substituted or missed things and tended to have quite short use by dates. Sainsburys let me down several times; on one occasion they claimed the van had broken down while out doing the round. I said I would collect from the van and there was a bit of an err.... well... err. In otherwords it just wasn't true. I haven't used them since for home delivery.

IngeJones Mon 14-Aug-17 10:54:14

TwiceAsNice maybe it depends on your area. I am in London W13. My driver said the rounds are getting longer and it's impossible to complete in the time allowed. They used to be the very best for reliability.

Frannytoo Mon 14-Aug-17 10:57:32

We gave up our car a few years ago which made big shopping difficult. One option at our local Waitrose was to book a delivery by phone with their office, then go to the store and chose everything needed, check it out as usual and the it will be delivered to your door. They pack it for you sorting cold, dairy etc. I think there may be a £3 charge.
This is a good interim optim before going on line.
Now I usually do a mammoth shop online about every six weeks with Tesco. I book a delivery slot a few days ahead and then gradually complete my order over several days. This gives me time to check home stocks. It is delivered on time, one unpacks and if anything is not exactly what you wanted (one can make mistakes) the delivery man will take it back and delete it from your bill, it is refunded. I mistakenly order a quarter litre of vanilla essence - enough for ever when I only wanted a small bottle. When ordering online check quantities carefully.

Harris27 Mon 14-Aug-17 11:01:01

Dive used Iceland as there's free delivery over £35 always on time and food really fresh I use it when busy or my chest is bad easy to use and quite reasonable will try tesco now though reading your comments .

GrandmasueUK Mon 14-Aug-17 11:01:19

I've used Tesco for years, as I don't drive and it's a bus ride or two to the nearest supermarket. I pay the monthly fee and can choose anytime delivery. I found the drivers lovely and helpful. I also sometimes get phone calls from drivers saying that they are early, would I mind having the delivery sooner. Only once was it late and it was by 15 minutes, and I had the phone call to let me know and apologise.

I also had a phone call from Tesco to check my order once, asking if I really wanted 22 leeks. My finger must have stuttered as it should have been 2. They thought they were going to have to put another van out for delivery as the 2 ordinary leeks filled a plastic bag grin.

My son and his family live in Lisbon, fourth floor apartment with NO lift and they have delivery from supermarket. They drink bottled water by the case-load and have a newborn and toddler, so lots of nappies too! They usually have two delivery men but one week I was there there was just the one poor man who came up those stairs four times!