Gransnet forums

House and home

Online grocery shopping

(112 Posts)
annsixty Sun 13-Aug-17 09:54:44

I have reluctantly decided that I must start having my groceries delivered. Most of my other needs are catered for online but I have resisted grocery so far to keep some independence, growing old is a b....r.
Are any of the supermarkets better than others?
Living where I do I will have a wide choice.
Does one tip the delivery man or not?
Do they leave it at the door or provide bags which are paid for?
I hope someone can give me pointers.

mumofmadboys Thu 14-Sep-17 16:16:12

Annsixty I have found it useful with Sainsburys if I need to spend more to reduce the delivery charge or make it free I buy the odd book of stamps or top up with things like loo rolls or tea ba gs.

aasthakapoor Thu 21-Jun-18 11:56:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Thu 21-Jun-18 11:56:59

Oh dear.
Reported

gaurisatpute Tue 26-Jun-18 10:55:39

I usually do shopping from Klub Kangaroo, This is one of the best grocery delivery app provides best offers on special occasion. Just you have to download it from play store. It is very easy to handling and they provide generic items in reasonable rate. To get more details visit - itunes.apple.com/us/app/klubkangaroo/id1205967171?mt=8

FlexibleFriend Sat 30-Jun-18 18:38:04

I've been having my groceries delivered for a few years now and I've tried most supermarkets. I currently alternate between Ocado and Tesco. I prefer the Tesco website for ease of navigation but recently they have discontinued a lot of products online that I bought regularly, strangely the same items are still available in the store. I like the choice of Ocado but struggle with the layout. I like that they do goods from various supermarkets, I'm still trying to find my way around the website but I'll get there eventually.
No you do not tip the delivery man.
They can hand the goods to you at the door or bring them in whichever you prefer. I take them at the door because it's quite a trek to my kitchen.
Tesco's charge a flat fee of 40p however many bags you have. Ocado charge 5p per bag I think but they are much better quality bags, bigger and stronger. Also you can hand the bags back at the next delivery and be credited 5p for each bag returned.

FlexibleFriend Sat 30-Jun-18 18:53:14

I should say currently I pay nothing for my Ocado deliveries as I took up their free smartpass offer and Tesco's deliveries that I used to have a supersaver for that expired cost me 7 quid he last time I had a delivery which I think is taking the mick but I'm using them less and less. If only I could find a replacement for their lemon and lime sparkling water I might abandon them completely.

annsixty Sun 01-Jul-18 06:44:33

As this thread has been revived, may I say thankful all for your helpful replies.
I have using online shopping now since I first posted.
I use Sainsbury's.
The first couple seemed to take forever but I quickly got into it and can do it quickly now.
I particularly like the fact that I can add items up to 11pm the evening before. A great help when I suddenly remember a forgotten thing ( or suddenly fancy a treat).

goldengirl Sun 01-Jul-18 11:19:48

I think online grocery shopping is a real boon. I use Waitrose having tried Ocado for a number of years and I'm delighted with their common sense approach to substitutions if required. Also 9 times out of 10 I get the same driver which is good too though all of the drivers have always been very polite and helpful.

laurenhayward Thu 29-Nov-18 10:02:23

I prefere online grocery shopping. I find many online options to buy groceries. I usually prefere to shop from Amazon, red rikshaw (I am vegan so I find vegeterian items on Asian Grocery Supermarkets)

Among all the above, my vote goes to Justhaat.com.

I found Justhaat has a range of products related to Asian and Indian recipes. It has a wide variety of top brands and top of that providing free delivery anywhere in the UK with great deals and discount every time.

craftergran Thu 29-Nov-18 10:24:55

I did use Asda for a while but am back to grocery shopping in person. Mainly due to the fact that I wouldn't order my fresh meat or fresh veggies from Asda after a few unsatisfactory deliveries - veg on the bad side and stewing steak more fatty than I would have chosen if in person.

I don't tend to shop in Asda generally, preferring Sainsbury's and Tesco but last time I looked the S & T website was either too slow or I found it confusing to use or combination of both.

I found Asda's website a wee bit slow but I was happy with the actual working of it, apart from finding the cheap packs of 15 eggs, which for some reason I always struggled to find on their site.

It has been some years since I last tried Tesco or Sainsbury's site and it has probably improved since then.

I would go back to shopping for groceries online though, aside for fresh stuff.

laurenhayward Thu 03-Jan-19 12:53:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.