Gransnet forums

House and home

Online grocery shopping

(112 Posts)
annsixty Sun 13-Aug-17 09:54:44

I have reluctantly decided that I must start having my groceries delivered. Most of my other needs are catered for online but I have resisted grocery so far to keep some independence, growing old is a b....r.
Are any of the supermarkets better than others?
Living where I do I will have a wide choice.
Does one tip the delivery man or not?
Do they leave it at the door or provide bags which are paid for?
I hope someone can give me pointers.

icanhandthemback Mon 14-Aug-17 16:11:50

I like Tesco and Ocado. I hate Asda as I have never had a good experience from them and the last order was so wrecked we had to go out shop PING the same day. angry I quite like Iceland but they can be missing stuff, just not as awful as Asda.

loopyloo Mon 14-Aug-17 16:30:33

Used to shop from Asda but lots of substitutions. Now use Ocado ,much better, and I find I am less stressed. I am careful to pick cheaper things as there is a lot of very interesting but pricey stuff.
Have a pass and order just over the £40 each time.
Good luck.

Libbyb5 Mon 14-Aug-17 18:09:20

I started off using Ocado - and found that I was buying a lot of Waitrose products (their 3 for £10 meat offers are amazingly varied and excellent value) - the Ocado Depot is not far away from us so their route often starts with our address being in the first 2 or 3 deliveries, so pretty accurate on timing. I have also tried Waitrose, because Ocado sell a lot of their products and the delivery is always free from Waitrose! (£40 minimum spend). If you do decide to use Waitrose apply for a 'My Waitrose' card - I frequently get vouchers/codes for £20 off a £100 shop - and then £12 off £80 shop - please register!! I have used Tesco, they do lots of substitutions and I can't do an online shop with Sainsburys. I've tried and It just hasn't worked out for me - the thing is that you get it all dropped and as you go through it the veg and meat are all short dates, and things like cauliflowers are minute - you would never pick it up yourself in store!!! It's our job to make the online shopping experience work for us - if something is wrong, say so!! Waitrose have got a few things wrong - once something quite important - and I complained by email, and they re-credited me for the product and also sent me £20 in John Lewis vouchers as a goodwill gesture. I now find walking around a supermarket quite difficult as I am always doubling back to collect things that I have missed! Good Luck with your first foray into the online shop world - try to look at the offers etc otherwise you will end up with the same stuff week after week!! If you have a Waitrose, give them a try, they aren't as expensive as you would think!

Libbyb5 Mon 14-Aug-17 18:14:22

ps I don't work for Waitrose - I'm NHS :-)

NannyBadcrumble1 Mon 14-Aug-17 18:19:05

As a person who absolutely loathes going out shopping for anything, I hate being in crowds and people invading my personal space - I get very anxious and prone to panic attacks. Online shopping is wonderful. We use Ocado, there is usually a discount when you use them first time, delivery spots are hourly, drivers are courteous and helpful, I can't recommend them enough x

starlily106 Mon 14-Aug-17 19:01:30

If you shop in Iceland and go into the shop to choose your own items you only have to spend £20 to have free delivery. I think if you order online you have to spend £35. Only drawback is the range of goods available is not asked wide as

starlily106 Mon 14-Aug-17 19:02:31

Sorry,
Not as wide as at the larger supermarkets

Maggiemaybe Mon 14-Aug-17 19:28:54

You'll never look back, ann, once you start grocery shopping online. The first couple of orders may seem a bit laborious, but once you're used to the site and get most of your favourites sorted out, it'll be easy peasy. So much easier than braving the stores. I've tried all the supermarkets that deliver here (Waitrose don't), and Asda was rubbish - they rang me 8 times asking for directions and turned up over 4 hours late, thinking it was hilarious. Tesco's my favourite - their customer service is spot on and they are very generous with substitutions (for example, they didn't have the Tesco 500ml olive oil I ordered last week and sent two branded ones instead). And I never seem to run out of money off vouchers. I wouldn't personally buy a delivery pass. I tried one for 6 months and felt I needed to get my money's worth, so couldn't take advantage of other supermarket offers that cropped up.

Caramac Mon 14-Aug-17 19:48:58

I rarely grocery shop as I love online grocery shopping. I think all your questions have been answered and I hope you try and like the service. I also book for holiday groceries which means no searching for nearest supermarket and have had very little problems in the way of substitutions. Tesco were the worst and Sainsbury's the best for me. I do like Morrisons and their meat is very good.

jimmyRFU Mon 14-Aug-17 20:44:48

I've been having Tesco food delivery for a good few years now. Started when DH had cancer (survived) and we kept it up ever since. Supermarket is ten minutes by car up the road but its all that walking round the aisles, trying to find things when they have a big move round etc. Prefer to sit and relax and wait for the delivery. Driver/delivery person is usually very nice and brings the crates to where I want them, sometimes even helping unpack if they have time

Birene Mon 14-Aug-17 21:22:32

I've been having online grocery deliveries for several years now and could not survive without one. Especially helpful at Christmas time when you don't want to be battling through supermarket crowds.
I use Sainsburys and Ocado mostly but Morrisons do handy time saving large trays of festive veg etc at Christmas which are really excellent, ditto their fish counter. I alternate mostly between Sainsburys and Ocado though - order lots of Waitrose produce through the latter. Noticed that Ocado can be slightly more expensive but the range of produce is staggering! Love their French range for instance. And they give reasonable use by dates. Sainsburys less so.Also great for free- range meat. Always phone customer lines if I'm unhappy for any reason and they all usually give you vouchers in recompense.
Recently have been having some Iceland produce delivered and they have been a revelation - particularly their 'Luxury' range of fish and meat. Fresh veg is poor though - not much to choose from, but they have great offers on household and everyday items.
I'd suggest you do a few shops at all of these and find out which is favourite.Or like me, you could use all of them for different reasons at different times- you can always freeze things that are on offer after all.
So dive in! You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

SallyDapp Tue 15-Aug-17 04:01:46

I'm with everyone who says Ocado, can't praise them enough. Delivery is always on time, the driver will carry into your kitchen if you want, the receipt is printed in use by date order, you're given notice of the delivery driver's name and which van he's driving by text and notified of any substitutes, which are packed separately, by text so you can decide whether to accept them beforehand. I've never had any short use by dates. They will refund on returned bags even if they are from another store and if you could have bought cheaper in Tesco they will email you a voucher for use off your next order. There are always offers available and it's easy to compare prices. It's also easy to let them know if something's missing (only happened to me twice in 3 years) The refund was made before the invoice money was taken. My only advice would be: be aware of weights and sizes so you know what quantity and size your buying. It's such a lovely way to shop and will make your life so much easier. Like others on here, I arrange a delivery just after we get home from holiday so washing machine's on and I'm waiting for food to turn up. Easy!

seacliff Tue 15-Aug-17 05:48:37

I love home delivery for the heavy bulky items, and I get through a lot of cat food (not personally!). I can't get ocado here. I use asda, who are very good round here. But I still get my fresh veg and meat locally as I like to chose it.

I had an annual offer to pay £2.50 per month, for any number of deliveries over £40, at any time. It's so handy, you'll soon get used to it.

W11girl Tue 15-Aug-17 07:43:08

Even though I live in a remote area and while I am still reasonably fit to do so, I do not use home deliveries from supermarkets as I like to buy the majority of food fresh but most importantly like to get out of the house as much as possible so that I interact with other human beings. We have a community bus here in the village, which is suitable for all. It takes us to the nearest town once a fortnight. Armed with my shopping trolley I use the service now and then and meet up with the other villagers for a good old gossip on the journey. We fit in coffee when we arrive at the town and lunch just before leaving to go home. Other times I use my own/or friends car with a group of friends. I would like to think I will be able to do this for a long time to come before resorting to online supermarket shopping, but I'm sure the day will come!

Charleygirl Tue 15-Aug-17 08:51:25

ann there is plenty here to give you food for thought, excuse the pun. Good luck.

Newquay Tue 15-Aug-17 09:08:12

What a tech savvy lot we are! DH in and out of hospital last 6 months so I started to use scan and go at Asda-absolutely brilliant. DGS came with me last week and he loved it too bipping everything as we went.
I use Asda cos they sell petrol on site too so V convenient.
I will try www.mysupermarket though as suggested.

wendycl Tue 15-Aug-17 12:55:54

I use Ocado - the reason they win out over others is that they use a 'dark' store, ie a warehouse - which means things aren't multi handled and you don't have to relay on someone picking things from the shelf (giving you the shortest dates and not the longest). The drivers are always helpful and will bring bags into the kitchen. You cred 5p credit per returned bag.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 15-Aug-17 13:19:00

Just had a look at Ocado - did you know there is a magazine called Gurgle? It looks to me as if they set up Morrisons web site as well as everything else as they work in a very similar way.

I do like my online shop as I believe it saves both time and energy and readies me for my no car days. Having wandered into the magazine bit of this shopping site I would have to question the saving time bit grin

IngeJones Tue 15-Aug-17 20:49:42

Yes, Ocado also handle Morrisons delivery service, under a different name.

allule Thu 17-Aug-17 10:31:56

Just rereading this thread, and one letter about receiving one grape instead of one kilo, reminds me of an experience in the early days of online ordering.
I ordered a large turkey for Christmas from Sainsbury's, and looked a few days later to find my account stood in the thousands of pounds! My order included 1000 turkeys!
I have never lived this down..."the year Mum ordered a thousand turkeys"
Quickly changed, but I was surprised the system hadn't queried it.

loopyloo Thu 17-Aug-17 12:06:49

One Christmas, I clicked on Brussels sprouts and they sent me one, as it was by number! I cooked it and chopped it up small and it made a very decorative garnish!

callgirl1 Thu 17-Aug-17 18:18:49

I ordered a swiss roll, the delivery man said "do you like swiss rolls?" I said yes, why, and he pointed pout that there were 26 in the crate! Another time I ordered a bunch of 5 bananas, just before I clicked to place the order I noticed that their computer had changed it to 99 bunches!

Sonam Thu 14-Sep-17 11:59:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annsixty Thu 14-Sep-17 12:23:36

As I started this thread I will update.
I had my first delivery from Sainsbury's last week as they offered £20 off a £60 shop and free delivery.
I was so pleased I took the plunge. I did find the site hard to navigate at first. I got it all right though and no substitutions. I intend to do it regularly now. The delivery man was excellent, he carried it I to the kitchen and explained it all to me.
Thank you all for your posts. I am converted.

Elegran Thu 14-Sep-17 12:23:54

But delivery charges to the UK from India will be more than the whole order! Sonam Advertising automatically on any website where online grocery shopping is mentioned doesn't get your message to possible customers who are likely to buy - the ones in India. Also, it will get your post deleted.