Gransnet forums

House and home

Ready made curtains

(28 Posts)
NanKate Mon 04-Sep-17 16:43:30

DH is updating his home office and needs new curtains. He has looked on the Dunelm site but the reviews of the curtains he likes are pretty dire.

Have you any suggestions please ?

M0nica Mon 04-Sep-17 17:04:03

John Lewis?

annsixty Mon 04-Sep-17 17:13:56

M&S?

kittylester Mon 04-Sep-17 17:14:31

We made the mistake of buying Dunelm curtains - please don't!

John Lewis are much better and not too expensive.

shysal Mon 04-Sep-17 17:23:21

A friend has been pleased with her Wilko curtains. Might be worth a try if DH doesn't want to spend a lot.
www.wilko.com/curtains+voiles/all-curtains/icat/curtains

midgey Mon 04-Sep-17 17:37:20

Terry's Fabrics? Or eBay!

ninathenana Mon 04-Sep-17 17:38:03

Our bedroom curtains are good quality and fully lined and bought at a very readonable price. We bought them from T. J. Hughes. They do have a few shops but you can buy on line.

ninathenana Mon 04-Sep-17 17:38:30

reasonable

lemongrove Mon 04-Sep-17 17:42:50

Just recently looked at the ones in Dunelm NanKate in the store, not online, and thiught they had some really nice lined ready made curtains.What is supposed to be wrong with them?

Andyf Mon 04-Sep-17 17:52:07

I'm so pleased this thread wasn't running before our made to measure Dunelm curtains arrived. We chose good quality fabric and floor length curtains. We couldn't be more pleased with them. We've had John Lewis in the past and the Dunelm ones are equally as good.

Andyf Mon 04-Sep-17 17:54:18

I must add that my neighbour bought Dunelm ready made curtains and has never been happy with them.

Coolgran65 Mon 04-Sep-17 18:02:47

My bedroom curtains are Dunelm and I'm very happy with them.

My living/dining curtains are from Harry Corry which is in Ireland and Scotland.

I think if you buy reasonable quality curtains you're ok, and don't go for the cheapest range, as cheap with always be cheap.

If I was unhappy with any curtains I'd take them back, and have done so.

J52 Mon 04-Sep-17 18:18:15

I have had a pair of very large linen curtains made to measure, from Dunelm and they are beautifully made.
Lined, weighted and with good quality pencil heading tape.
As pp said quality fabric and a good seamstress is important.

annodomini Mon 04-Sep-17 18:36:09

I bought Dunelm curtains for my bedroom and am very satisfied with them.

gillybob Mon 04-Sep-17 18:38:46

Have you tried NEXT NanKate ? They do dome lovely ones and almost always available next day if not in store.

mcem Mon 04-Sep-17 18:50:07

Have twice ordered from Elmet curtains. They are priced as ready-made but are altered (free) to your required length. I've had extra-wide curtains altered (108" to 104"). If normal width/length curtains are suitable you've lots of choice but rather less if you need wider or longer than standard.
I've been very happy with mine.

suzied Mon 04-Sep-17 19:15:55

I would go for John Lewis made to measure in 7 days.

Iam64 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:07:52

I have curtains made by Dunelm - they're great.
I also have a pair made by John Lewis which I love. Mind - they were twice the price of the Dunelm curtains. A couple of friends also have Dunelm curtains I've never heard complaints from anyone.

Christinefrance Mon 04-Sep-17 20:10:22

Next also have good ready made curtains.

Rosieroe Mon 04-Sep-17 20:12:02

I once bought Dunelm ready made curtains and they were awful. I've had a few pairs from Next and have been pleased with them.

Iam64 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:48:12

My Dunelm curtains were made to measure, not ready made. Same with the JL ones, maybe that's the difference.

hildajenniJ Mon 04-Sep-17 20:58:14

My DD lived in a huge tenement flat and bought ready made curtains, to fit the very long windows, from IKEA. They were not lined but fitted the windows perfectly.

callgirl1 Mon 04-Sep-17 21:38:08

I got my new kitchen curtains from Terry`s Fabrics, a very reasonable price, and delivery within 2 days, great service.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Sep-17 21:40:20

My curtains came from Terry's too. Very reasonably priced.

NanKate Tue 05-Sep-17 06:52:09

Thanks All for your helpful advice.

Lemongrove the reviews on the Dunelm site said that the ready made curtains were not the same length or the length they were supposed to be, also after a few months there was a problem with the lining etc. However from what I read here the made to measure seem fine.

Thanks Gillybob we will check out the Next ones and possibly M and S. I am trying to persuade DH to spend money on a good pair and not go for the cheapest.

Onward and upward. smile