Gransnet forums

House and home

Painting a ceiling. Vinyl silk or matt emulsion?

(30 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 12:07:46

I'm re-decorating and was hoping to get away without having to paint the ceiling as it was only done two years ago but we live in a very dry and dusty part of East Anglia so although I thought it was OK, a quick wipe with 'magic sponge' showed me it's actually filthy shock

There is also a bit of smoke damage from the woodburner.

The whole place was originally decorated with Dulux Jasmine White which is a nice milky white but I'm wondering whether to switch from matt to silk finish.

I've never liked shiny finishes but I've just slapped some vinyl silk on a test patch and it doesn't look too bad.

Has anyone decorated a ceiling with silk finish and does it look shiny?

MissAdventure Wed 13-Sep-17 12:10:38

I would go for matt, myself. Shiny tends to stay quite shiny on ceilings.

tessagee Wed 13-Sep-17 12:15:29

Merlotgran: yes I've done two rooms recently using Dulux satin finish white and am literally watching the paint dry on the third room ceiling, hence my being on here.

I've found it great for covering the dreadful light carmel-colour which was used here by previous owners. I need two to three colours on each room and the end result is worth the work.

However if you have an uneven ceiling you'd be best advised to stick with matt finish which, being non light reflective is better at hiding blemishes. Hope this helps.

Now back to putting on the next coat. Can't wait to do the walls.

tessagee Wed 13-Sep-17 12:16:42

Apologies, error in second paragraph - should read two to three coats, not colours.

glammanana Wed 13-Sep-17 12:20:59

We have always used matt finish as silk shows every lump and bump in a finished wall/ceiling.

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 12:43:10

Thanks, everyone. Fortunately it's a new ceiling so no lumps and bumps. It's a south facing room with large windows so gets plenty of light and that's what's putting me off using a silk finish.

I rather like the thought of being able to wipe the paintwork clean rather than having to re-decorate every two years though.

Ho hum.....decisions, decisions.

LadyGracie Wed 13-Sep-17 13:55:21

I painted our living room ceiling with silk, big mistake, first and last time I use it. A Matt finish is much more pleasing to the eye.

LadyGracie Wed 13-Sep-17 13:55:56

It looks very shiny!

grannysue05 Wed 13-Sep-17 13:57:50

Matt finish for ceilings every time.
Just looks better.

merlotgran Wed 13-Sep-17 14:18:17

Yes, decision made. Matt it is.

jeanie99 Thu 02-Nov-17 00:56:26

Matt

Greyduster Thu 02-Nov-17 08:21:32

I would never use silk on a ceiling, others are right when they say that it shows up every imperfection. Also matt is a nice foil if you are using silk on the walls. We used silk on the HS&L because it is easier to clean than matt.

vampirequeen Thu 02-Nov-17 09:22:52

Definitely matt. Ceilings are rarely smooth and the silk will pick out all the faults.

MawBroon Thu 02-Nov-17 09:26:14

Matt every time.

merlotgran Thu 02-Nov-17 09:30:44

It's done........Matt!

Auntieflo Thu 02-Nov-17 14:07:58

We have been married for 55 years, so this happened a loooong time ago. Friends of my parents painted their ceiling, then Mrs friend arrived post haste. "Quick, quick, come and see Steve". When mum got there, Steve was shrouded in their ceiling. The paint must have reacted and fallen away, covering him, poor chap.

lemongrove Thu 02-Nov-17 14:10:19

This happened when we had ceilings redone AuntieFlo but fortunately we were not underneath at the time.

Matt paint every time for ceilings.

Jalima1108 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:32:04

Matt is our preference for ceilings

Nandalot Thu 02-Nov-17 18:34:38

Matt. I don’t like the shine from lights on a silk finish ceiling.

cornergran Thu 02-Nov-17 18:46:09

Matt emulsion for sure.

silverlining48 Thu 02-Nov-17 23:02:57

This settles a debate we had this morning. We are decorating after too long and husband suggested we paint the ceiling silk for a change instead of matt. I thought for a moment and said i would prefer matt, and it appears i am in good company. Thanks everyone.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Nov-17 17:19:16

If you are painting a kitchen or bathroom then the ceiling should really be a silk emulsion as it stands up to the moisture generated better better than Matt. It is also easier to wipe over. For the rest of the house Matt looks bette.

eazybee Wed 29-Nov-17 18:42:05

Whatever type of paint, use that magical pink paint that dries white, then you can see where you have and have not painted. Reminds me of Bird's custard powder that started off pink and changed to brilliant yellow once the milk was added.

singha529565 Sat 07-Apr-18 09:51:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HildaGrady Sat 24-Nov-18 06:30:45

I would personally prefer Matt. If you are still not sure about this, then you can take advice from an expert. I have heard many good reviews about the interior painting San Jose from this link . You too can take help from such experienced professionals.