Gransnet forums

House and home

White and fluffy

(60 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 16-Sep-17 10:47:28

Tumble them.

Charleygirl Sat 16-Sep-17 10:27:05

I have not used conditioner for many years and my clothes are no longer hard as they used to be. It did take a few weeks for all the old conditioner to wash out but once it did, what a difference and more money in my purse. The clothes smell fresh because they dry outside as often as possible.

JackyB Sat 16-Sep-17 10:04:15

I've heard that a soak in vinegar brings them up lovely. Haven't tried it, though.

I would try with about a cup of white vinegar in a bucket of warm water for an hour or so before washing.

TerriBull Sat 16-Sep-17 09:58:17

My husband insists on ironing his own shirts as apparently I don't do the collars properly hmm not that I'm complaining, it's a task he's welcome to!

When we go away, if I have time, I wash all the towels and leave them on towel rails and they are dry when we return. Husband moans that they are all stiff and horrible. What is it with these men hmm perhaps I'll get him to do his own like MrNanKate grin

annsixty Sat 16-Sep-17 08:47:58

I know that husbands have many peculiarities, but washing his own towels has to up there as one of the oddest?
I agree that a short tumble makes them soft and fluffy, I think as others have said , a hot wash and Persil is the answer, plus replacing them very regularly, you can use the "cast offs".

gillybob Sat 16-Sep-17 07:53:01

Your DH is quite honored to be allowed to use the white and fluffy towels NanKate I refuse to let my DH anywhere near mine (except for some old past their best ones) and reserve the whitest fluffiness for the grandchildren who still love to be wrapped up into bundles with the whitest and softest of towels.

I agree with Baggs about the hot wash although I use a little bit (not the full dose) of Ariel liquid plus a scoop of vanish platinum (for whites) and a small splash of lenor (the one in the gold bottle) as the DGD like the smell of my washing. I also dry outside whenever possible. I don't have a tumble dryer.

Moocow Sat 16-Sep-17 07:51:22

Do you think he is fixated on the brand new look or can you see what he means?

Baggs Sat 16-Sep-17 07:35:04

For actual whiteness, wash (hot again) using Ecover laundry bleach. Again, no other detergent.

This 'regime' cleans your washing machine as well.

Baggs Sat 16-Sep-17 07:33:40

Tumble drying makes a difference to softness/hardness. And I would use very hot water (as hot as your machine goes) and very little or even no detergent. A small amount of soda crystals and hot water will remove any dirt or grease. I think detergents leave hard deposits in cloth.

NanKate Sat 16-Sep-17 07:29:13

DH insists on washing his own towels as I don't do them properly, however he says even under his own regime they don't stay as white and fluffy as he wants. Advice please on laundering.

He kindly let's me wash everything else. hmm