Gransnet forums

House and home

They're here again! (That time of year)

(93 Posts)
phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 20:38:14

The spiders are appearing indoors again, a monster one in the downstairs loo, and a quite impressive one was just spotted scuttling behind the sitting room curtains, yet another sign of the turning of the seasons.

Does the timing vary across the regions? (I'm in Devon)

cornergran Thu 28-Sep-17 20:40:17

They've reached Somerset, phoenix, working their way North perhaps?

callgirl1 Thu 28-Sep-17 21:01:02

It`s because it`s harvest time, we get whoppers up here as well.

annodomini Thu 28-Sep-17 21:02:17

A massive spider appeared in my bathroom while I was otherwise occupied - if you get my meaning. All I could do was throw a slipper in its general direction and it made a run for it. I haven't seen it since but I'm sure it's still lurking in a dark corner.

annodomini Thu 28-Sep-17 21:03:21

PS phoenix, I'm in Cheshire.

Greyduster Thu 28-Sep-17 21:08:38

We've had them here for a few weeks. September spiders. One last night ran across the front of the hearth towards my chair (I had my feet up!) but it was only a baby - about an inch across! I don't actually mind them.

Chewbacca Thu 28-Sep-17 21:48:25

I've seen some huge spiders this year. The one on my kitchen floor was so big that I could have saddled it and ridden it! I don't mind them at all though and left a towel draped over the bath so that one could climb out unharmed.

Swanny Thu 28-Sep-17 22:10:29

The first autumn in my current home I seemed to be running a B&B for spiders! I was advised to put a conker in the corners of rooms as apparently spiders don't like them confused Never heard of that before but tried it and it worked - no more big hairy monsters scuttling across the floor! Might have been coincidence but I'm taking no chances and have just replaced last year's conkers with some nice new ones.

SueDonim Thu 28-Sep-17 22:13:09

They give me the willies!

We had one appear on the rug the other day, just as my daughter messaged that she'd had one in. They must be communicating with each other. Dh found the cat playing with a monster one the other day. Dh had to finish it off.

fiorentina51 Thu 28-Sep-17 22:42:36

Just seen one scuttle across the living room floor. Husband to the rescue!

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Sep-17 23:01:02

I am really not bothered by spiders these days.
I was sorting out my belongings to pack for going on my holiday tomorrow, in the spare bedroom and looked up at the curtains. There is an impressive array of spider's webs in that room.
I have waved my feather duster in most of the other rooms but forgot that one. Slutty NellieM.

phoenix Thu 28-Sep-17 23:10:23

I'm sort of ok with them, however not entirely comfortable about going to sleep with a damn girt big one on the bedroom wall just as I'm settling down in bed!

Oliver Sprout is a very good and diligent spider hunter, Digby is more of an observer confused

Perhaps his observation but lack of actual action might mean that he is working on some sort of thesis on arachnids in a domestic environment in Britain.

Somehow I doubt this, as Mr P (who in some ways Digby's biggest fan) refers to him as "nice but dim", after the character in the TV programme!

Chewbacca Thu 28-Sep-17 23:30:02

I have no problem with spiders but I do take exception to those tight little balls of spider eggs they they build up in the corners of the windows. They're incredibly sticky and difficult to remove, even the Dyson can't suck them up. And I'm not about to move them by hand!

FarNorth Thu 28-Sep-17 23:42:39

I don't mind spiders usually but I was a bit peeved, years ago, to be woken up by one that had bitten my hand!

It felt like a pin prick at the time and stayed red and annoying for quite a while.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-17 07:52:08

I don't mind spiders and leave them to share my house but I hate walking out the door into unseen lace and get a sticky web across my face

jusnoneed Fri 29-Sep-17 08:15:14

Not my favourite things, give me the shivers. I have got quite good at bopping them as I've got older, wouldn't of gone anywhere near when I was young - just shouted for whoever was near lol.
One of yesterdays jobs was finding (not easy at this time of year) a Spearmint plant as someone told my son that spiders don't like the smell. Found one scrappy one at garden centre, brought home and replanted. I also managed to find a couple conkers (had heard that one) to put in his room too, must get some more. He was bitten on the arm a couple weeks ago and swears it was a spider.
I do miss my little spider hunter, the cat who died last year was great for that task.

Elizabeth1 Fri 29-Sep-17 08:26:37

They're here in Fife Help! I'm terrified of spiders especially the big ones that scuttle across the floor. I'm seeing them every other day now and have bought 2 anti spider and other insect repellent plug in things to hopefully scare them away. Is there anything else I can do to keep them at bay?

gillybob Fri 29-Sep-17 08:26:54

Massive ones up here (in the North East) phoenix . I've been noticing them around the garden for weeks now with the most spectacular webs, they have now started to move indoors. I would never kill one just try to scoop them up and put them out but dear me can't they run. They're so fast I have dropped one or two when they have made it across the dustpan before I get the back door open. Couldn't sleep knowing there was one lurking in the bedroom.

lemongrove Fri 29-Sep-17 08:29:43

Yes, conkers do help, or spraying chestnut oil ( same thing)
But the reason that you see big spiders at this time of year is to do with SEX.? The females are larger than the males( and more deadly!) and they are on the hunt for a mate.This makes them more daring at dashing about, or lurking about the place before it's night and you have gone to bed.House spiders generally come out at night.
If you don't get rid of the ones you come across, you will soon be infested with a lot of big house spiders, once they lay eggs in a dark corner.

lemongrove Fri 29-Sep-17 08:35:48

You are more likely to be bitten though, by the thin dangly type ( we have lots of these) they tend to set up shop in high corners, and although not scary to look at ( unlike the big hairy type) are actually more bitey to humans.The feeling of a pinprick, and then a red mark.
A few days ago, I was bitten on the arm by a very tiny ladybird when I was gardening.Felt a pinprick, looked down and saw one of the tiny black and yellow type on me. So brushed it off.There were two tiny marks like snakebite on my arm, it's fangs! You can be bitten by almost anything.?

rascal Fri 29-Sep-17 08:36:56

Oh yes they are here in Scotland too! Had an enormous one in the bedroom it had managed to climb up the wall and was up at the ceiling. Didn't know they could climb. Had to get the hoover out to manage to get it. I couldn't go to bed knowing it was watching me from above! I didn't want it to scurry down and join me in bed! shock

lemongrove Fri 29-Sep-17 08:39:26

They can climb very well, but house spiders don't make webs, they are hunters.

vampirequeen Fri 29-Sep-17 09:52:17

The started appearing a few weeks ago. They don't bother me too much as long as they don't run towards me. If they're the braver ones who don't realise how small they are compared to humans we catch them and put them in the garden but then it's a race as to who can get back to the house first lol. I think they're males who are looking for a bit of girly affection although I'm not sure how affectionate the ladies of that species are.

LadyGracie Fri 29-Sep-17 11:29:20

They've been here in South Wales for a few weeks, there was a enormous one in the bathroom with thick wooden looking legs. It's my job to remove them, I can't kill them, DH is a wimp with creepy crawlies!

Charleygirl Fri 29-Sep-17 11:43:26

I have not seen one for a very long time. phoenix and corner maybe you should move to London. I would teach Digby how to use the cat flap but if he is overweight I do not want him wearing it as clothing around his middle.

Tara's last stalker was very handsome but also very thick and even after 18 months of trying had not mastered the cat flap thank goodness.