Gransnet forums

House and home

How to clean a tv screen?

(72 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-Dec-17 09:22:48

I've just noticed some grot on the tv screen (shouldn't have put my glasses on!)
I'm ashamed to say I've never really cleaned the screen before, so I'm not sure how to do it. I remember grandson getting into trouble for cleaning too heavily and blurring a tiny piece of the picture due to damaging the screen.

nanna8 Mon 12-Sep-22 02:02:23

No soaps, definitely damaging! I wouldn’t be too keen on vinegar,either. It is not the same as a window and anyway water round electrical devices is a bit risky.

SpringyChicken Sun 11-Sep-22 22:56:16

The tv gets a regular wipe with a barely damp microfibre cloth.

Specs are washed in hot washing up water before starting the dishes - fully submerged. It feels so good to wear clean specs.

Kittye Sun 11-Sep-22 22:48:04

Quick wipe with the duster once a week

MarieGarzm Sun 11-Sep-22 21:14:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

argymargy Sun 11-Sep-22 07:44:13

Yikes! It’s never occurred to me to clean the tv screen…

Callistemon21 Sat 10-Sep-22 23:06:59

Georgesgran

5 year old thread. Hope *Miss A’ has cleaned it now. ?

Ours was new last year - does it need cleaning yet? ?

Jane43 Sat 10-Sep-22 23:05:15

I got a special spray and small microfibre cloth from The Pound Shop. I clean tv, tablet and phone screens with it.

Georgesgran Sat 10-Sep-22 22:56:34

5 year old thread. Hope *Miss A’ has cleaned it now. ?

MarieGarzm Sat 10-Sep-22 22:23:12

How to clean: Dust the TV with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or with an electrostatic duster, like GH Seal star, Swiffer. Spot-clean stubborn smudges with a pre-moistened wipe designed for electronics. With your microfiber cloth or duster, go over buttons and the back of the TV to nab dust in the vents.
Turn off your TV and unplug it. ...
Using a soft, dry microfiber cloth, gently wipe the screen in a circular motion to clean off any dust and debris. ...
For hard-to-remove stains, moisten your cloth with distilled water. ...
If that fails, use a solution of mild dish soap and distilled water.

M0nica Fri 31-Jan-20 08:05:48

I cleaned mine yesterday, as we have had builders in and there was fine cement dust everywhere.

I just sprayed some mirror cleaner onto a pad of kitchen towel and gently wiped it over the screen. Normally I just dust it every week with a feather duster as I do the cleaning.

suziepoo Thu 30-Jan-20 18:22:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LadyGracie Sat 30-Dec-17 12:50:06

I use a damp microfibre cloth

jeanie99 Sat 30-Dec-17 10:13:04

It doesn't seem to matter what you use minutes later the dust is back.

JackyB Thu 28-Dec-17 07:02:45

For the same reason as Eileen and others have said, I wouldn't use any chemicals on a flat screen TV, just an absolutely clean microfibre cloth, dipped in very hot water and wrung out as hard as I can. Definitely not baby wipes - surely they contain oil or lanolin or something - doesn't that make the screen smeary?

I do agree about using disinfectant wipes on keyboards occasionally, and very ocasionally on a tablet, but all screens that react to touch (phone, tablet) have a very fine film on them that transfers your touch to the computer, and too much window cleaner or anything containing alcohol or acids will surely destroy this eventually.

Someone who knows more about this might correct me on this - I think it might be graphene which is practically indestructible.

EileenS14 Wed 27-Dec-17 23:44:32

The older tv screens can take it but the new flat screen's are very very delicate. You wipe too hard and you get a patch where you wiped the protected film off.

loopyloo Wed 20-Dec-17 14:58:42

I like to use a dettol wipe on my tablet as so many fingers touch it. Not sure if thats recommended though.

Auntieflo Sat 16-Dec-17 23:22:44

Irenelily, After your tip re-Tesco face wipes, I looked for them today. Only found a pack of 25 for £1.00. Oh the expense, will it never end?

W11girl Sat 16-Dec-17 20:58:00

I use a baby wipe and a dry cloth to buff it. Works fine for me.

lizzypopbottle Fri 15-Dec-17 18:11:35

Life's too short to be ashamed of anything that doesn't affect anyone but yourself! Pat yourself on the back for cleaning your TV screen and your glasses! Well done you! ? (Mind you, how you've survived without ever cleaning your glasses is beyond me ? I have to clean mine at least a dozen times a day!)

Cherrytree59 Fri 15-Dec-17 18:02:45

When DGS leaves his calling card (finger prints) on the TV and the glass stand
I just clean with baby wipes as they are always at hand smile

Camelotclub Fri 15-Dec-17 18:01:08

Do they mind being cleaned with special wipes?!

Skynnylynny Fri 15-Dec-17 17:03:10

Eglantine21 I love the idea of widow cleaning wipes! (I know it’s the dratted predictive text)

Cubagran Fri 15-Dec-17 16:31:46

Damp microfibre cloth does the trick. Use it for windows as well with a water spray.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 15-Dec-17 15:16:16

I use the soft brush of the vacuum cleaner and an occasional wipe with a microfibre cloth - nothing else.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Dec-17 15:01:59

I dusted ours this morning.???