Gransnet forums

House and home

Sludge removal from cental heating system

(2 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 28-Dec-17 01:22:51

As anyone experience of having a complete breakdown of their central heating system and hot water.

This happened the week before Christmas with my family coming to stay for the Christmas period, what a nightmare.

I finally found a heating engineer to come in get the heating back on thank goodness.

He found a blockage in the boiler and took out as much sludge as he could and got the heating back on in most of the rooms.
The very annoying thing is during the summer I had the boiler serviced and a flush of the boiler which was recommended by the engineer but he hadn't flushed the part the blockage was.
What do you do stand over people to make sure the job is done properly.
I am so fed up of paying out money and the problem is not solved.
The house is warm in most parts which I am glad of but the kitchen and diner rads are cold.

He is suggesting a new boiler but cannot guarantee this will make any difference.
He suggested using a sludge removal chemical in the system, as anyone used this for a system blockage. I would love to know of anyone who as had this type of problem.

cornergran Thu 28-Dec-17 05:50:06

Heating problems at Christmas are a major pain jeanie. Pleased your home is at least mostly warm. We had a chemical system flush in our last home when we replaced the boiler. It was fairly expensive I seem to recall but all was well afterwards. I do understand your frustration. We’ve our own heating issues at the moment with a fairly new system. It seems some of the installation wasn’t done well, not what we expected.

I think in your position I would get several opinions, maybe ask friends and family for recommendations of a trustworthy heating engineer. See what the concensus is. I’m sorry not to be much help. I hope someone with more knowledge will be along soon. Good luck.