Gransnet forums

House and home

Old style alternatives

(42 Posts)
mollie Tue 02-Jan-18 19:03:19

I’m very aware of the chemicals and the expense of our modern cleaning products on the supermarket shelves. I know that our mums and grandmas used soda and vinegar and all manner of other things to get the same jobs done but can’t remember what the recipes where - any ideas?

Nanabilly Tue 20-Feb-18 20:15:59

I strike a match or two in the kitchen to get rid of fish smells.
Lemon in the microwave to get rid of smells and rubbed on hands to clear onion smells

Synonymous Tue 20-Feb-18 19:20:31

mollie if you just do a search on 'buy bicarb' you will see that you can buy huge packs of it. 25kgs was the largest I saw without going more than a click, Makes you wonder what you would need that much for! hmm

Lovetopaint037 Tue 20-Feb-18 19:02:59

I cleaned a silver bowl with a tiny amount of toothpaste. It was amazing, worked almost instantly and strangely kept looking good for months. Haven’t bothered with Silvo ever since.

mollie Thu 04-Jan-18 16:39:22

Well, thank you all. The recommended book is on order from the library and I’m using white vinegar as we speak to give the washing machine a good clean.

I’m still wonderingif it’s possible to buy big lots of bicarb rather than those dinky tubs in the baking aisle? Anyone??

I’ve heard of the soot and salt for toothpaste but I think I’ll give that a pass grin

I’m going to use up all the bottles of spray and cream I have already and then will certainly give some of the other suggestions here a go. Thank you again smile

felice Thu 04-Jan-18 15:57:08

DD uses a spray bottle, puts in half a bleach tablet, she says one packet last her about a year, a squirt of washing up liquid and lukewarm water to make her own spray cleaner.

JackyB Thu 04-Jan-18 12:01:03

Daisyboots - I was once recommended to try using the ashes to clean the glass from the front of the wood fire, but then I read that the ash will make minute scratches in the glass which eventually develop into cracks.

As for oil stains on prominent places on clothes - I may have said this before, but one magazine recommended embroidering a little flower or other motif over the stain, as removing it would prove impossible.

maddy629 Thu 04-Jan-18 07:15:38

Hi mollie I use Waitrose Method range of cleaners. They are made with plant based ingredients, no chemicals and work really well, especially on the kitchen sink.

Chewbacca Wed 03-Jan-18 22:14:55

sarahellen another good and inexpensive way to clean the inside glass doors of a woodburner is a drop of ordinary vinegar on some crumpled up newspaper. Just rub over and it removes all tar deposits, leaving a streak free glass. Then throw the dirty paper on the burner as kindling for the next burning.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jan-18 22:13:47

I think baking soda does the same kind of jobs. Are they the same thing? blush domestic science wasn't my best subject. I did woodwork as soon as I could change.

Gaggi3 Wed 03-Jan-18 22:05:03

Anyone know where you can buy large quantities of bicarbonate of soda? Many suggestions for its use but can only find little tubs.

Shelagh6 Wed 03-Jan-18 20:01:46

Half lemons and salt are good for cleaning brass and copper!

Lilyflower Wed 03-Jan-18 18:14:55

You would have to get sabre toothed tigers to wrestle the Mr Muscle out of my grip.

1974cookie Wed 03-Jan-18 18:04:47

Bicarbonate of soda used on a damp cloth will get rid of tea stains from mugs with little effort.

Whenever we had a cough as children, our Mum used to finely chop a raw onion, place it in a teacup and add a little sugar. This was left overnight whereby a small amount of syrup formed at the bottom, and this was our cough mixture.

callgirl1 Wed 03-Jan-18 17:13:11

Soil from the garden rubbed on tea stained cups gets them clean.
My grandma used soot and salt to clean her teeth, YUCK!

Fennel Wed 03-Jan-18 16:39:26

Thanks Phoenix I'll try that.

phoenix Wed 03-Jan-18 16:31:57

Fennel blotting paper both sides and a warm iron?

Fennel Wed 03-Jan-18 14:47:39

Any ideas for removing olive oil splashes from a pure wool skirt?
I was going to take it to the cleaners but the 2 nearest ones have closed down - expensive too.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 03-Jan-18 14:42:35

used coffee grounds for scouring wooden chopping boards, washing oil stains off your hands, salt for anything that needs scouring but that you don't want to taste of scouring powder.

soft brown soap for washing floors. Washing up liquid removes practically all stains from cloth if left until dry, then just wash garment or whatever as you usually do.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 03-Jan-18 12:19:35

Daisyboots
You have made my day.
Having tried so many, could be corrosive, products, I have from taking your advice a soot free wood burner glass door to observe my burning logs.
Thank youflowers

David1968 Wed 03-Jan-18 12:12:58

Bicarbonate of soda (it's cheap - in Aldi's baking section) mixed with a little water to make a paste, cleans stainless steel without scratching, provided you use a non-scratchy cloth. I find that it's good on stainless steel sinks. Needs to be rinsed-off well, but it's non-toxic.

starlily106 Wed 03-Jan-18 12:12:45

Try Pinterest on the web. Every day I get an email, with lots of interesting things, lots of recipes for things to use for all kinds of household chores.

Daisyboots Wed 03-Jan-18 11:41:46

A good tip if you have a wood burner with a glass door. Dip a wet rag or kitchen paper in some ash and wipe over the inside of the door with it to remive the black sooty marks. It works very well and costs nothing unlike the costly cleaners especially made for this job which are also corrosive .

mollie Wed 03-Jan-18 11:34:46

Thank you all, I’m going try everything suggested grin

Lindylo Wed 03-Jan-18 10:49:26

I mix white vinegar, a little washing up liquid and water and put in an old spray bottle. It's fabulous to clean windows.

JanT2004 Wed 03-Jan-18 10:47:12

Try this website mollie. There are loads of natural alternatives on there. www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/easiest-best-smelling-homemade-fabric-softener-out-there Just click on the drop down at the top of the page and you should find what you are looking for.