Gransnet forums

House and home

Where to find DIY/decorating help for disabled?

(11 Posts)
Blownupdolly Fri 05-Jan-18 14:32:04

Hi,
I’m disabled and a full time powered wheelchair user. My husband is a nurse but has recently been told he has to have a metal wrist replacement as 2 bones in there have died!

We are on our housing association transfer list to be moved to a disabled home. We were told the wait won’t be long as we are top of the list. Our problem is, neither of us will be able to do much in the way of moving our stuff to the new place which will become of several places only 50yds from where we are now. We will also need to decorate etc.

Does anyone know of a charity, or help organisation that could help us in anyway? Although living on a nurses wage isn’t exactly easy, we would be able to pay a small fee. I just don’t think we could afford proper removals firm and it would seem daft just moving across the street. The same goes for diy/decorating help.

chelseababy Fri 05-Jan-18 14:35:06

Age UK have decorators and diy people. Not sure of cost.

paddyann Fri 05-Jan-18 15:52:22

our local councils have a team of DIY and decorators that are availble for the elderly.My MIL uses them for even simple things like changing light bulbs...we live 45 miles from her so its not always practical to go when she needs help.The council guys arrive quickly and are usually very nice helpful ...and chatty .She'll happily make them tea after they've done whats needed.Check with your council and see if they have a similar scheme

glammanana Fri 05-Jan-18 16:04:21

We have a scheme within our Housing Association that does everything you have mentioned at a discounted price for their tenants check that yours has the same scheme or as mentioned Age UK have their list of people available to help,good luck with your move we moved into a supported living bungalow in March and it has been the best thing we have ever done the HA has been so helpful.

Blownupdolly Fri 05-Jan-18 16:22:59

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure if we qualify for Age UK as I’m only 55mand hubby 59. I will phone them on Monday.
Our housing association is absolutely hopeless. I had a new front door finally fitted this week as the old one was so heavy I could get out without someone helping me. It’s taken them 14mths to do it!! I am very grateful, but unless someone is here I was housebound.
I will ask the scheme manager, but I very much doubt there’s any help available. We live in Essex with Sanctuary Housing.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 16:24:34

I know Essex council don't have the scheme. No surprises there. Hope you can find some help.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 16:34:06

Oops! I meant my particular part of Essex. Hopefully yours is able to help.

Blownupdolly Fri 05-Jan-18 18:29:46

I’m near Rayleigh Miss. I was just talking to my daughter regarding moving home side of things. I forget the grandkids are growing up. She says she and SIL will come help and my oldest grand daughter will bring her huge 6ft 4 rugby playing boyfriend along for the heavy stuff. I am very grateful as they live 70 miles away.
Just need the DIY/Decorating side of things sorted now.

MissAdventure Fri 05-Jan-18 22:00:29

Are you under castle point council, dolly? Because they don't have the service. Such a shame. Hope you can find someone to do a reasonable, reliable job. We were passed to the papworth trust, who also no longer operate, but some of their workers have set up their own company, with huge waiting lists for their services. At 'just' 180 pounds per day, we decided not to pursue things. shock

Granny23 Fri 05-Jan-18 22:28:05

When I was a teenager we moved about 50 yards too. There was heavy snow lying on removal day so we used our sledge and a neighbour's one, together with a big trolley thingy 'borrowed' from my father's work. DM took to her bed as usual when anything was happening, but Dad, his pal, my sister and I + our boyfriends had the entire removal done in a couple of hours.

Blownupdolly Sat 06-Jan-18 04:19:58

I’m under Rochford council Miss. they are pretty much as bad as Castlepoint.

Granny23, that must have been such hard work in the snow! I’m pretty sure we won’t have that problem.

It’s so frustrating being stuck in a wheelchair. I like to get up and do things myself but can’t.