Gransnet forums

House and home

Wood effect vinyl

(12 Posts)
kittylester Mon 08-Jan-18 10:33:46

Has anyone any experience of this?

We were looking at wood flooring in John Lewis and spotted the vinyl which looked very effective.

We are replacing the carpet in the hall, which gets quite a lot of use, for something more hard-wearing. We will put a rug on top.

Opinions please.

Welshwife Mon 08-Jan-18 10:52:41

Are you talking about buying a piece from a roll or the ‘tiles’ of vinyl which are similar to the laminate pieces you lay?

We put the vinyl ‘wood looking’ tiles in our kitchen and downstairs loo - we got the ones suitable for those areas. They are nice to walk on and warmer underfoot than tiles or laminate. Ours are stuck onto tiles and have adhered well but I gather from a friend they are not so good on tongue and groove flooring.

But like cushionfloor they will damage if a sharp object falls onto it but I have had little trouble - been laid five years now. Wash easily.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 11:40:26

I think there is a thread on the two best types kittylester, if only I could remember what they are called
hmm perhaps someone else can?

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Jan-18 11:42:45

Did a search:

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1243834-Karndean-v-Amtico

kittylester Mon 08-Jan-18 11:45:17

Thanks Jalima.

I'm actually interested on vinyl on a roll.

janeainsworth Mon 08-Jan-18 12:00:04

kitty We have a product similar to amtico/karndean (ie compressed vinyl tiles) in our ensuite. The advantage is that you can make different patterns with tiles in a way that you can’t with a vinyl roll.
I’ve been very pleased with it.

kittylester Mon 08-Jan-18 13:28:29

That looks good jane.

As we are going for a worn floorboard look as our hall was the girl's entrance to the village Board School.

I could murder whoever took up all the original floor boards.

MissAdventure Mon 08-Jan-18 13:29:00

A residential home I worked in has sheet vinyl that looks like floorboards, which has been down for around 12 years or so now, and it looks as good as the day it was laid.
It takes a huge amount of wear and tear, and I feel quite sorry I had laminate now I've seen how great the vinyl is.

Willow500 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:32:00

We have a dark wood effect vinyl from a roll on our conservatory floor - looks very nice with a rug on it and is easy to clean.

jeanie99 Mon 08-Jan-18 13:51:41

I think some of the thick vinyl tiles are lovely.
Our son as these in his apartment, but they are very expensive.
If it is on a roll it will be thinner so consider the floor you are putting it down on because it will show any imperfection if it is not level.

Vonners Mon 08-Jan-18 14:13:44

About 4 years ago I had carpet in a rental property bathroom replaced.
Fitter brought loads of sample books for vinyl, I was surprised to see a floorboard like one available and chose it. He advised which way to have the 'boards' running and also the base needed to lay it on to avoid showing any imperfections (as Jeanie99 pointed out).
I'm not good at 'interior design', was really delighted when I saw the finished job though.
Tenant moving out so I'm off to inspect tomorrow, will try and remember to post how its faired.

SueDonim Mon 08-Jan-18 14:50:03

I have tile-effect vinyl in my kitchen and utility room and it's been excellent. It hasn't worn at all, despite 14 years of a family of six plus ILs and GC and pets all tramping about on it.

I also have a very small amount of wood-effect vinyl in my porch. That's only been down about eight years but again despite being the main entry into our house and getting copious amount of grit trekked in, it's as good as new.

I think it was called Rhinofloor.